Fort Leonard Wood is located in the heart of the Ozarks off Interstate 44. The post is approximately 130 miles west of Saint Louis and 90 miles east of Springfield.
- Lambert-St. Louis International (STL) - 2 Hour Drive.
- Springfield-Branson Regional (SGF) - 1 hour 15 Minute Drive.
- Waynesville-St. Robert Regional Airport (TBN) - On Fort Leonard Wood.
From St. Louis (East) - Drive west on I-70 about 4 miles, go south on 270 approximately 15 miles, drive west on I-44. Drive west bound on I-44 about 135 miles. Exit interstate on 161. At the stop light turn left onto Missouri Avenue. Drive approximately 3 miles at the end of the public road will be the Fort Leonard Wood Main gate.
From Springfield (West) - Drive Northeast on West Kearney, turn left onto US-160 Northwest Bypass and merge eastbound onto I-44. Drive approximately 86 miles west toward St. Louis. Exit on 161 and make a right onto Missouri Avenue at the stop light. Drive approximately 3 miles at the end of the public road will be the Fort Leonard Wood Main gate.
Rental car agencies are available at both Lambert and Springfield Airports.
There are also shuttle services available for direct transportation to and from the airport through USA Express or StL Shuttle Service.
To obtain a visitor's pass, you will need the following documents:
- Picture ID -- REAL ID compliant driver's license (see below for more details).
- Vehicle Registration.
- Proof of Insurance.
- Assignment or TDY orders (Military or Civilian workers only -- not required for visitors.)
Beginning 1 June 2023, Ft. Leonard Wood will no longer accept for access purposes, state issued driver licenses (DL) or state issued IDs that do not meet the Real ID Act of 2005 standards. Person(s) requesting access with a non-compliant state DL or ID will need to present, along with the non-compliant DL/ID, one of the documents below to prove identity to be issued a pass or given access to Ft. Leonard Wood.
• US passport or passport card
• Certified birth certificate (not a photo copy)
• Social Security Card (not a photo copy)
• School identification card with photograph (high school and college age students)
• US military or draft record (DD Form 214)
• US Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
• Transportation Worker Identification Card (TWIC)
• US Native American tribal document
• NEW VA health card
• Permanent Resident Card/Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
• Foreign passport with a temporary (I-551) stamp or temporary (I-551) printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
• Foreign passport with Form I-94 or Form I-94A bearing same name as passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, as long as the endorsement has not expired and proposed employment is not in conflict with restrictions or limitations identified on the form.
Visitor(s) requesting access without a REAL ID Act compliant form of identification or cannot provide supplemental identity proofing documents as listed above are subject to denial of access. All persons requesting unescorted access will continue to be vetted through the National Crime Information Center, prior to being issued an installation pass.
Fort Leonard Wood MWR Leisure Travel Services is here for all your travel needs. Whether you need to book a flight, reserve a hotel, or get tickets to local attractions, they are here to help.
Call 573.329.8587 or find them online.