Vehicles brought from the U.S., or purchased locally, must be registered with USAREUR. All shipped vehicles and used vehicles purchased in Germany must pass a safety inspection before they can be registered.
Department of Defense ID cardholders in Germany (service members, family members, and assigned civilians and some contractors) are allowed to register their personally-owned vehicles (POV) with the U.S. Military. These vehicles are not subject to German taxes or German vehicle registration. Personnel leaving (ETS or PCS) or individuals who have lost logistical support must turn in their Stuttgart (S), Boeblingen (BB) plates to vehicle registration (not MP Station) prior to leaving the Stuttgart community.
Vehicle Registration Services Checklists
The following checklists will help you prepare for the most common Vehicle Registration transactions. If you have questions pertaining to vehicle registration, email us: email@example.com
Checklists for Vehicle Registration Scenarios
- Agent Owner
- Out Processing
- Donating or Junking a Vehicle with MWR
- Register a Vehicle Shipped at Gov Expense
- Register a New Euro Spec
- Register a New US Spec
- Register a POV as Nonoperational
- Registering a used Euro Spec from Dealer or Local National
- Registering a used US Spec from Dealer or Local National
- Registering your POV Driven from another NATO Country
- Registering your POV Driven from another Community within Europe
- Renewing your Registration
- Replacing Lost or Damaged Registration
- Replacing Lost or Stolen License Plates
- Shipping/Deregistering a Vehicle
- Temporary Plates to Permanent Plates
- Temporary Registration
- Transferring Ownership to a Local National or Dealership
- Transferring Ownership to Another ID Card Holder
All CAC holders can sign up for a Privately Owned Vehicle inspection online. Customers should arrive at least 10 minutes prior to their appointment time and bring a copy of their appointment confirmation. Customers who are not available at the time of their appointment will lose their appointment and a customer on the stand-by list will be seen. As a courtesy to other customers, please cancel your appointment if you are not able to attend at your scheduled appointment time.
Note! A USAREUR Driver's License is required to register a vehicle.
DoD ID card holders are eligible to obtain a USAREUR (United States Army, Europe) driver's license. With this license, ID card holders are authorized to drive a USAREUR-plated vehicle or other German-registered vehicles.
They are also authorized to purchase a limited amount of gasoline or diesel fuel without paying taxes.
Drivers License Testing Online
Contact the Driver License Testing Office on Panzer Kaserne if you have questions about the test.
- Visit HTTP://JKO.JTEN.MIL
- Under Course Catalog, ensure “courses” tab is selected. Select “USA” from drop down.
- Enter 007 in course number field. Click search
- Enroll. Take USA-007 “U.S. Forces Driver’s Training Program for Europe”.
- Take exam USA-007-B “U.S. Forces Driver’s Training Program for Europe”.
- Print certificate and take to DRIVERS TESTING STATION