MISSION: The U.S. Army Garrison Rheinland-Pfalz Installation Access Control System offices provide IACS registration services to Department of Defense ID card holders, contractors, vendors and visitors requesting access to U.S. Army installations.

All DoD ID cardholders ages 10 and over are required to be registered in IACS. DoD ID cardholders will need to provide a copy of their orders (if stationed/TDY in Europe) and a second form of government-issued photo ID when registering.

The IACS office registers DoD ID cardholders into IACS, issues installation passes to contractors, vendors and visitors, and processes installation access rosters for special events or persons who need short term access but are not eligible for an installation pass.

Do you need a new gate pass?

The new Defense Biometric IDentification System (DBIDS) begins replacing the IACS system Aug. 2, 2021

Click HERE to see if you need to fill out a new gate access packet

Installation Passes

All non-DoD ID cardholders who request access to a U.S. military installation are required to either be escorted by a DoD ID cardholder at all times, be on an approved access roster, or be issued an installation pass.

  • All installation passes must be requested on Army Europe Form 190-16A by a DoD ID cardholder appointed in writing as an authorized sponsor.
  • All pass requests need to be submitted to the appropriate IACS office distro list (Kaiserslautern or Baumholder) via encrypted email from an official email address (eu.dodea.edu, .gov, .mil, .NATO). Authorized sponsors unable to send encrypted emails may use the DOD SAFE site to submit application packets.
  • The application packet needs to include the application and all supporting documents.
  • Packets must be received a minimum of three business days prior to the applicant coming by the IACS office.

The U.S. Army has 19 separate applicant categories for installation passes. Please contact your nearest IACS office for information on what documents are required for each category.

Applicants will need to bring the following original documents with them to the IACS office when they come in to be issued a pass: Ausweiss or passport, PGCC (Führugszeugnis), residency permit (if required). Any documents that are not in English or German must be translated into English and notarized as a true translation.


DoD ID cardholders age 18 or over who are registered in IACS and have sign in privileges may sign in up to four visitors at a time at the installation gates. Visitors must be able to provide a state-issued ID card (European Union members) or passport and are required to be escorted at all times while on the installation. Minors ages 10 and under do not require a paper pass, but must be accompanied at all times.


In accordance with AE Regulation 190-16, family members visiting DoD ID cardholders stationed in U.S. Army Europe may only be issued an installation pass for unescorted access under the following conditions:

  • The visitor is an immediate family member. Immediate family members consist of the requester's sons, daughters, parents, brothers, sisters, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brothers-in-law, sisters-in-law, grandparents and grandparents-in-law.
  • The DoD ID cardholder resides on an access-controlled installation.
  • Non-U.S. visitors: The visitor (age 18 and older) must present a valid Führungszuegnis issued within the last year from the visitor's country of residence (must be translated into English or German).
  • U.S. visitors: The visitor (age 18 and older) must present a national criminal history check. This can be obtained at the visitor's local courthouse (Clerk of the Court) or Local Federal Bureau of Investigation office in their state of residence. U.S. visitors that arrive in country without a security check will be required to have a National Crime Information Center check conducted prior to being issued a pass. This form will be completed and submitted to the Provost Marshal Office by the local IACS office. Processing time is between one to two business days for the NCIC background check.
  • U.S. visitors need to provide a copy of their flight itinerary or visa.

Visitors who do not meet the above requirements may be signed-in at the gate and escorted by a DoD ID card holder.


To obtain post access and shopping privileges at garrisons within Germany, veterans must have a Veterans Health Identification Card issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs in the U.S. The VHIC must be the newest version that displays the veteran's eligibility status. Under the new authorization, eligible veterans include Purple Heart recipients, former prisoners of war, and veterans with documented service-connected disabilities or their VA documented caregivers. VHICs are not issued overseas. To learn more about the VHIC, visit https://www.va.gov/health-care/how-to-apply/.


  • Besides their VHIC, veterans residing in Germany will also need to fill out Army in Europe Form 190-16A.
  • Forms should be returned to individual garrisons' Installation Access Control Services via encrypted email, dropped off in person at a garrison visitor center, or local ACS staff can provide a secure website link to which veterans can upload their completed forms.
  • Once background checks are complete in three to five days, veterans will be notified by IACS and can stop by a garrison visitor center to be issued an installation pass, which allows veterans to sign on spouses.
  • Veterans who are only visiting Germany may obtain a temporary installation pass with their VHIC through the same process.

Read more about eligible veteran access HERE.


Individuals will be denied access to U.S. Army installations for the following reasons:

  • The individual has actively or passively participated in recruiting, funding, supplying, aiding or threatening terrorist activities.
  • The individual is barred by a garrison commander.
  • The individual attempted to use or has used lost, stolen or fabricated identification to gain access to an installation.
  • The individual has a criminal conviction for any of the following: armed assault, armed robbery, arson, assault with a deadly weapon, child molestation, drug distribution or drug possession with intent to sell, espionage, firearms or explosives violations, murder, production or possession of child pornography, rape, sabotage, sexual assault, trafficking in humans, transporting radioactive material or treason.
  • In the past 10 years, the individual had a criminal conviction for any of the following: burglary, unlawful entry, or housebreaking; grand theft auto; or involuntary or vehicular manslaughter.
  • In the past five years, the individual had a criminal conviction for any of the following: habitual drug offense (i.e. use of marijuana), forgery or fraud.
  • In the past 10 years, the individual had a conviction of any felony.
  • The individual has a current U.S., Host Nation or INTERPOL arrest warrant.
  • The individual has engaged in acts or activities designed to overthrow the U.S. Government, the government of a European Union or NATO member state, or the HN government by force.
  • The individual is a registered sex offender.
  • A background check revealed criminal arrest information that presents a potential threat to the good order, discipline, health or safety of the garrison.

Contact the local IACS office for waivers and adjudication procedures.


All government sponsors must be appointed in writing by a GS-13/LTC or above in the chain of command of an organization using DD Form 577 and have completed the sponsor training in ALMS. The DD Form 577 and training certificate must be sent to the appropriate IACS office via e-mail.

Appointed individuals are authorized to sponsor at the U.S. Army Europe, garrison or installation levels based on their grade/rank. Contracting officers (KOs), Contracting Officers Representatives (COR/ACOR/SCOR) may sponsor at the USAREUR level regardless of their rank. CORs must submit a copy of the COR appointment letter showing the date of their appointment along with the DD Form 577 and training certificate.


  • USAREUR: Supervisors in the grade/rank of GS-13/LTC/NF-5/C-8 or above.
  • Local Garrison (Garrison sponsor assigned to): Supervisors in the grade/rank of CPT/1SG/MSG (E-8)/CW3/GS-11/NF-4/C-7 or above
  • Single Installation (Installation sponsor assigned to): Supervisors in the grade/rank of LT/SFC/CW2/GS-9/NF-3/C6A or above

Access Rosters

Access rosters are used to provide access when issuing a paper pass or installation pass is impractical or not authorized. Access rosters may be submitted by a DoD ID card holder registered in IACS with sign in privileges.

  • Access roster requests (AE Form 190-16F) must be sent via encrypted e-mail from an official e-mail account (.aafes.com, .eu.dodea.edu, .gov, .mil, .NATO) at least three business days prior to the date of requested access.
  • Contractors and vendors must submit a copy of their passport or European Union (EU) ID and, if required, a visa or work permit along with a copy of a current (less than 12 months old) Good Conduct Certificate (GCC) or their country's equivalent. A certified translation is required if the GCC is not in English, German, or Italian.
  • In Germany, U.S.-based contractors in country for more than four days must submit a copy of an approved BACO-90 "Request for confirmation of exemption from a requirement to obtain a work permit." For more information about the BACO-90 process, please go to http://www.eur.army.mil/Contractor/.


Parents and legal guardians with children under the age of 10 who do not have DoD ID cards may register their children in the IACS using Identi-Kid. Identi-Kid provides a way to collect a current photograph, fingerprints, vital statistics, and contact information. This information is used to help locate missing children. A parent or guardian in possession of a DoD ID card must be present to register a child.