Some German houses and apartments have smaller rooms, hallways and staircases than what you are accustomed to stateside. Therefore, you may have trouble fitting extremely large or heavy furniture into your new home. Be prepared to look harder to find a place big enough to accommodate your furniture. Generally, you should be able to use all the furniture your weight allowance permits you to bring.

  • CLOSET SPACE --  Most German houses don't have built-in closets or cabinets. FMO will loan two wardrobes per sponsor and one for each family member for the duration of your tour here. For some people, these will not be enough. Expect that your new German residence will not have all of the storage you have in your stateside home and plan to bring or purchase shelving units and get creative.
  • WINDOW COVERINGS -- It is unlikely to find a place in Germany where your drapes fit the windows perfectly. German windows require drapes longer than average American curtains. If you do not want to alter your draperies to fit the windows in Germany you may want to keep them in storage. All government housing will have drapes, which hang on German-style ceiling rods. Many people still bring drapes, curtains and rods (or order these from the States). The Germans have beautiful sheers that you can buy in all price categories.
  • FLOORING AND RUGS -- Almost all housing in Germany, both off-post and on, has tiled or wood flooring. Therefore, you may find you need to use rugs or other floor-coverings in your home. If you need to purchase rugs, it is important to note that many companies will not ship their large rugs to overseas or Army Post Office addresses. You are encouraged to bring your rugs with you or purchase them here. The Exchange sells rugs, as do many furniture stores on the German (and surrounding countries') economies.​​​



The electrical current in Germany is 220 volts and 50 cycles-per-second, while most American appliances operate on 110 volts and 60 cycles-per-second. You will need a voltage adapter or transformer to use your appliances with American voltage/plugs in German electrical outlets. Every electrical appliance should be marked with its required voltage or wattage to determine the appropriate size transformer to use. FMO will loan you two transformers for the duration of your tour. Some government housing units have both 110V and 220V outlets.

  • LAMPS -- Lamps work well by using 220V light bulbs and an inexpensive electrical plug adapter. Although 110V appliances can be operated with transformers, long-term use can shorten appliance life. 
  • SMALL APPLIANCES -- You must take into consideration a few things when determining if replacing your appliances with 220V appliances or using your 110V appliances with a transformer is a better option. When using 110V appliances with heating elements, such as irons and toasters, the different hertz rating of the American product can affect heating capability. The same holds true for personal grooming items like hair dryers and curling irons. Other items are recommended to be left behind altogether, such as space heaters, as they are expensive to use and can be unsafe. 110V 60-cycle electrical clocks will not keep time properly (battery-operated clocks do work just fine, however). The timing function on devices such as microwaves, DVD players, etc. will also encounter problems keeping the time. If an appliance is old and unreliable, or if you are ready to replace it anyway, consider disposing of it and buying a new one here. Some newer products have built-in converters. Used appliances are also available upon arrival; many departing personnel sell their German specification items before leaving. 
  • VACUUMS -- Vacuum cleaners can operate using a transformer, but you will need to test the vacuum's polarity using a polarity tester to ensure you don't damage the motor. The same holds true for any appliance with a motor. You can purchase these gadgets at the local Exchange.
  • MICROWAVES -- Personnel are encouraged to not bring microwaves to Germany. FMO will issue a microwave for your use during your tour. If you decide to bring a 110V microwave, it will work using a transformer but it will cook slower and the clock may not work correctly. When deciding to bring your 110V microwave, consider the age and quality of your microwave. 
  • TVS, STEREOS, COMPUTERS, ELECTRONICS -- Many TVs, stereos, computers and other electronics are dual voltage. If an electronic is 110V a transformer can be used. The American Forces Network TV is broadcast on the NTSC frequency -- all U.S.-specification TVs will receive this frequency. Some TVs are multi-system and can receive both AFN and German channels--these types of TVs are also available for purchase at the Exchange. Paying for cable each month is an option to receive a wider variety of channels. If you have a turntable, it may need to be converted to 50 hertz to run at the proper speed. Not all turntables can be converted. Check this out with a local electrician before you leave the states. Most personal computers are dual-voltage and only require an adaptor, but check with your computer's manufacturer to make sure. If your computer has a dual voltage switch, remember to completely unplug the computer before changing voltage otherwise you will burn out the computer power supply.
  • TELEPHONES -- Your home telephone purchased in the States will work in Germany with an adaptor. However, you must get your phone approved by the German Telekom (Telephone) company. Certain cordless phones may not be approved if they are not dual voltage (110/220V) or run on unapproved frequencies.



  • WASHER, DRYER OR REFRIGERATOR -- These items are available in government quarters. If you need these items for your off-post home, the Furnishings Management Office will loan these to you for the duration of your tour or as long as they are needed. There is no cost for these loans.
  • WATER BEDS -- Not authorized in on-post housing and many German homes.