The mission of the Casualty Assistance Center is to provide compassionate, unwavering commitment to the Families of our fallen Soldiers, retirees and veterans. Casualty Assistance provides assistance to next-of-kin of critically injured, ill or deceased Army soldiers, retirees, and veterans to include Benefits Counseling; Military Funeral Honors; and Casualty Assistance / Notification Officer training (CAO/CNO).
FOR MILITARY SERVICE MEMBERS. To report a death or request Military Funeral Honors, please call: (804) 734-6606. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Casualty Notification/Assistance Officers (CNO/CAO) Training
Casualty notification/assistance officers must attend a three-day certification course prior to performing those services. The CAC's training instructor offers this course every month.
To register, email the casualty training officer or call (804) 734-6038.
Benefits and Entitlements
Surviving spouses of retired and active Soldiers may receive casualty assistance through three methods:
- Live assistance. The benefits coordinator serves as a survivor's advocate who processes benefit claims, coordinates services from support organizations, and answers questions related to entitlements.
- Guided assistance. The CAC can also arrange for a casualty assistance officer (CAO) to visit the survivor at a location of choice. The CAO will assist with completion of the forms and serve as a liaison between the surivivor and the benefits coordinator.
- Distance assistance. The benefits coordinator can mail the survivor a customized packet of forms and information that pertain to the survivor's specific situation. The survivor can mail the forms directly to individual offices or return the entire packet to the Benefits Coordinator for processing.
- Casualty Benefits Package Forms:
Contact the Benefits Coordinator via email or phone at (804) 734-6985.
The CAC coordinates military funeral honors for eligible deceased veterans, retirees and active duty Soldiers in the Fort Lee area of responsibility. To request a military honors funeral, complete the Funeral Honors Request Form and email or fax the request to (804) 734-6734.
Contact the memorial affairs coordinator via email or phone at (804) 734-6606.
The mortuary affairs coordinator ensures the proper care and disposition of a Soldier's remains and personal effects. The CAC also prepares orders for eligible survivors to travel at government expense to their Soldier's funeral and/or unit memorial.
Contact the mortuary affairs coordinator via email or phone at (804) 734-6724.
- Department of the Army Casualty and Mortuary Affairs Operations Division (CMAOD)
- Casualty Notification Officer (CNO) Guide
- Guide for Survivors of Deceased Retirees
- Casualty Assistance Center Locator
- Veterans Administration
- National Cemetery Administration
- Social Security Administration
- National Personnel Records Center
- Tragedy Program for Survivors "TAPS"
- ID Card Office Locator