Who is eligible for Government Housing?

All Service members serving on a 36 month accompanied tour are eligible for assignment to Government-controlled quarters. Service Members must have 12 months remaining on tour to apply for as well as 6 months remaining when signing for Government controlled quarters.

What is my eligibility date and how does that affect my place on the waiting list?

Your eligibility date is determined by the date departed last permanent duty. Service Members must sign-in at the new duty station before assignment will be made.) Your signed and approved service specific leave form (Request and Authority for Leave), and service specific Installation Clearance Record will indicate date departed last permanent duty station. Other methods in which an eligibility date may be established are the effective date of command sponsorship, date of application, or through an approved exception to policy. Families can not jump on any waiting list however a Family can be displaced by a Family that has a higher eligibility date. Example: SFC Jones PCSs and signs out on leave on 1 May,he takes leave until 30 May and signs into his new unit. His eligibility date is 1 May. This is the date he will be placed on the respective waiting list. However, if SFC Smith PCSs and starts leave on 20 April and signs into new duty station on 4 June, IAW regulatory guidance, this family will be placed ahead of the family that arrived on 30 May if the two families are competing on the same waiting list with the same requirements.

When and will I be placed on the waiting list for housing?

When a copy of your PCS orders and DD 1746 are received by the Housing office your name may be added to the waiting list in a priority 3 status. You will not begin actively competing until you have physically arrived to USAG Stuttgart. Your signed and approved service specific leave form (Request and Authority for Leave), and service specific Installation Clearance Record are the only way of substantiating this requirement.

How do I quickly get into Housing?

Close and frequent contact with the housing office is your key to success! Open communication with us as far as advance, ahead of arrival, greatly improves your chances for assignment and minimizes wait times. Our goal is to assign you as soon as possible. We will communicate availability and can assign immediately, upon arrival, when inventory permits.

Does the Housing office accept advance applications for housing?

Yes, we will need a copy of your PCS orders and DD1746 to process your advanced application.

What do I need to bring to register with Housing?

A complete set of orders (PCS, Command Sponsored, Joint Domicile, Amendments, TDY en-route, etc.), your service specific leave and clearing form.

What are OHA and MIHA and am I entitled these allowances?

When on post quarters are not available, eligible Service Members are entitled to Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA), a separate utilities allowance, and a one-time Move in Allowance (MIHA).

OHA is the overseas equivalent to Stateside BAH in that it is used to pay your rent. However, unlike BAH, OHA is based on actual cost for rent.

Move In Housing Allowance(MIHA)
The Move-In Housing Allowance is a lump sum flat rate that you will receive upon moving in to a new off-post house. This allowance helps offset expenses incurred when first setting up your household.

Currency (Euro) and is paid out in your LES like BAH. OHA is based on your pay grade and dependent status (with or without),and is paid based upon actual cost for rent. You can find your OHA rate using the OHA calculator and MIHA at https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/oha.cfm-Under “Location,” type in the “Locality Code” of GE055. Enter your pay grade and dependent status as appropriate, and another pop up screen will list your OHA rate, utilities rate, and MIHA.

What is TLA and am I eligible?

What is Temporary Lodging Allowance(TLA)?

TLA is the allowance that offsets the higher costs of staying in a hotel and eating out daily.

How do I know whether I’m eligible forTLA?
Families must be on concurrent travel status to Government or private rental quarters in order to be eligible for TLA. Families must be in a concurrent travel status to the address of a friend or relative are not entitled to TLA, however you may be eligible for meals while residing with friends or relatives.

What are the rules for TLA while quarantined?

In accordance with ALARACT 2020_029, upon arrival all Service Members and Families are directed to quarantine for the initial 14 days. For Army Personnel, the gaining unit will provide the Service Member with a Manual DD 1610. This entitlement is not paid in DTS, it is paid out of the Covid-19 LOA. For Air Force personnel, the gaining unit will either create a DD 1610 or AF Form 973 (Memo in-lieu of Permanent Change of Station Amendment). This Document will be turned into finance after the quarantine period is complete during in processing to facilitate reimbursement for lodging and meals. The allowance is paid as per diem for the 14 days. The Navy and Marines have a similar process to pay per diem for the 14 day quarantine allowance. TLA will only be authorized after the 14 day quarantine period has been completed if the SM and dependents were ordered into quarantine and no further quarantine period is required.

What is the waiting time for housing?

Typical waiting times are 0-8 weeks. Waiting times may vary during high PSCseasons.

When may I bring my family to Overseas?

With concurrent travel order or after signing forquarters a family travel message will be sent authorizing your family totravel.

Where do single E-6's live?

Staff sergeants (SSGs E-6) and below are required to reside in unaccompanied personnel housing for permanent party. If the utilization rate for the installation is 95% or above in accordance with regulatory guidance a certificate of non-availability (CNA) to reside off-post may be issued.

Can I lose my original eligibility date?

Yes, applications must be made within 30 days of arrivals or receipt of command sponsorship to maintain your eligibility date of date departed last duty station or date of command sponsorship approval. Beyond 30 days, or Service Members making tour changes, the effective date on the waiting list will be date of application.

How can I change my tour status from unaccompanied to accompanied??

You will need to submit a request for command sponsorship/changeof tour through your unit S1/personnel office.

What is concurrent travel?

Concurrent travel allows you and your family to travel together to your next permanent duty station. All command sponsorship and joint domicile orders will be issued with “concurrent travel to Government-controlled or economy quarters.

What does deferred travel mean?

Deferred travel means that your family will not be traveling with youbecause there are no houses immediately available or you have approved delaysfor your family’s travel. You will have up to 120 days max to bring yourfamily members to an Overseas location (BAH stops on the 121st day). TLAwill not be authorized. Arrangements forassignment to quarters must be made prior to your family’s arrival, ensuringyour family has a place to reside.

How long can I keep the Government furniture once I sign for it?

Officially you may keep the Government loaner furnishings for up to 90 days before you are required to turn-in your loaner set. Issuance of loaner sets may be extended due to un-controllable circumstance. For example, scheduled delivery of household goods are delayed.

How are the sizes of the bedrooms compared to bedrooms in the United States?

Typically, the bedrooms are smaller on upper floors because of slanted ceiling making it difficult to situate bulky and taller furniture in some rooms.

How many bathrooms are in the quarters?

This varies by unit size, but all on-post family housing units have at least 1 bathroom.

Who controls the heating thermostat in the quarter, is it the individual tenant or housing?

For on-post housing, the individual tenant controls the heating thermostat in the quarters during heating season.

What about my electric appliances, TV and computer?

Yes, most of our quarters are equipped with dual voltage. Personal washers and dryers should be left in storage if possible. All Government-controlled and eligible private rental quarters are authorized washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerator and ranges as needed for the length of your tour.

Where are the DoDEA schools located?

DoDEA Schools are located on Panzer Kaserne, Patch and Robinson Barracks. Students can be bused to all three locations.

  • Stuttgart High School is located on Panzer Kaserne.
  • The Middle School is located on Patch Barracks.
  • Elementary schools are located on Panzer Kaserne, Patch and Robinson Barracks.

How do I place a work order?

You can place a work order by calling DSN 596-6200 or Commercial 09641-70-596-6200 or you may submit work request through the USAG Stuttgart website, which has a link to the Stuttgart Citizen, where you find the routine service request submission area.

How long can a guest stay in my quarters?

Per calendar year a non-dependent guest may visit for a period no longer than 90 days. Requests are submitted through the garrison Housing Division and must be approved by the Garrison Commander.

How many pets can I bring if I reside in Government-controlled quarters?

In accordance with local policy as well as regulatory guidance, you may bring two pets; two dogs or two cats or a combination thereof. Request for additional pet authorization must be submitted through the Housing Division and approved by the Garrison Commander. Domestic pets are not authorized in Unaccompanied Personnel Housing.

Are there restrictions on what type of dog I can have in Germany?

Yes, in accordance with host nation laws, the following class I canines are prohibited from entering Germany, and are prohibited from residing in government controlled quarters. Any mix breeds containing bloodlines of class I canines are also classified as class I canines. At present, further breeds and crosses of the following breeds with each other or with other dogs are classified as dangerous in Baden-Wuerttemberg (Stuttgart):


Dogo Argentino

Bordeaux Dogge

Fila Brasilero

Spanish Mastiff

Neapolitan Mastiff


Tosa Inu

This list is not all inclusive. Before bringing your pet overseas, please contact the installation veterinarian officer for more information on restricted breeds.