Awards: Army Superior Unit Award June 15, 2002 – March 31, 2005
In November of 1940 Camp Stewart began training Soldiers for service for the buildup of WW II. The first Dental Clinic was constructed in 1941, as part of one of the first “mobilization hospitals”. By the close of the war, Camp Stewart was closed on September 30, 1945. With the onset of the Korean War the Army once again opened Camp Stewart on August 9, 1950. On March 21, 1956 Camp Stewart was redesignated as Fort Stewart. The dental clinic was an old wooden building, until October of 1974, when some of the first permanent buildings were constructed on the Post. The Fort Stewart dental clinics have support the Soldiers of the 3rd Army Anti-Aircraft Artillery Training Center, the 1st Battalion, 75th Infantry Regiment, and the 24th Infantry Division. On April 25, 1996 Fort Stewart became home to the 3rd Infantry Division and the Fort Stewart dental clinics were there to serve. As Fort Stewart grew so did the number of dental clinics, becoming the U.S. Army Dental Activity (DENTAC). DENTAC has supported numerous deployment and redeployment of the 3rd Infantry Division and its tenant units, both at Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield, which resulted in the unit earning the Army Superior Unit Award. On October 1, 2016 the U.S. Army Dental Activity (DENTAC), Fort Stewart was redesignated as U.S. Army Dental Health Activity, Fort Stewart (DENHAC), cementing its relation for the foreseeable future with the Soldiers of the 3rd Infantry Division and Fort Stewart.
About the crest
Maroon and white (silver) are the traditional colors of the Army Medical Department. The checkered bar alludes to the coat of arms of the Stewart Clan of Scotland, ancestors of General Daniel Stewart, Revolutionary War hero and namesake of Fort Stewart. The American Red Cross with the Asclepius symbolizes the unit’s medical heritage. The two swords suggest the two main missions of the unit – Readiness and Wellness. They form a “V” to signify “Victory”, paying homage to the 24th Infantry Division, the “Victory Division”. The motto in Latin “Excellentia Definiatur”, translates to “Excellence Defined”