• Establishing a Monthly Budget
  • Car Buying
  • Home Buying
  • Debt Liquidation
  • Obtaining your Credit Reports
  • Understanding Credit
  • Consumer Complaints
  • Negotiating the Creditors
  • Security Clearance Responses
  • Investing/TSP/BRS
  • And much more


  • Rent/Mortgage
  • Utilities/Deposits
  • Food
  • Medical/Dental
  • Emergency Travel
  • Travel Funds for Relocation (PCS)
  • Funeral Expenses
  • Vehicle Repair
  • Replacement Vehicle
  • Rental Vehicle
  • Cranial Helmets
  • Essential Furniture
  • Car Seats
  • Repair/Replacement of Basic Appliances
  • Minor Home Repairs
  • Remember! Make AER Your First Choice!


  • Retirement Planning
  • Building Credit
  • Credit Usage during the Holidays
  • Wise use of Credit
  • Wise Use of Tax Refund
  • Tax Considerations
  • Car Buying 
  • Major Purchases
  • Credit Management
  • Money Management
  • Debt Elimination
  • Investing 
  • Holiday Spending
  • Estate Planning Insurance Needs


  • Disabling Sickness or Condition
  • Vesting in TSP
  • Continuation Pay
  • Promotion


How can I get assistance?

Company Commander and First Sergeant Quick Assist Program.

  • Expedited Assistance Process
  • Company Commander or First Sergeant can approve up to $2000.00.
  • Provides Company/Battery/Troop Chain of Command ability to assist Soldiers who have a valid financial need.

Direct Access to AER

All Soldiers regardless of grade/rank, are allowed direct access to AER without the Unit Commander or First Sergeant's review and approval/concurrence with the following safeguards:

  • Soldiers in the grade of E-1 through E-4 must have completed Initial Entry Training (IET).
  • All Soldiers must have a minimum of 12 months Time in Service (TIS) or have completed IET (whichever is greater).
  • Regardless of rank, financial assistance will be limited to two requests for assistance (Loan or Grant) within a 12 month period without the Commander/First Sergeant review.
  • Soldiers who exhibit "High Risk" behaviors for financial problems IAW AR 600-85 still require the Unit Commander/First Sergeant's review and approval/concurrence.

Who is eligible for assistance?

Active Duty Soldiers, single or married, and their eligible Dependents.

Army National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers on continuous Active Duty (Title 10, USC) for more than 30 consecutive days and their eligible Dependents.

Soldiers Retired for Active Duty for longevity or physical disability, and their eligible Dependents.

Army National Guard and Army Reserve Soldiers who retired and are receiving DFAS Retired Pay, and their eligible Dependents.

Surviving Spouse and Orphans of Soldiers who died while on Active Duty or after they retired.

Is there a limit on how much emergency assistance I can request?

AER can meet your valid emergency needs.

What kind of assistance can I expect?

  • An interest free loan
  • A grant if repayment of a loan will cause undue hardship.
  • Part loan and part grant.

Where can I go to get assistance?

Your closest Army Installation AER Office

If there is no AER Office near you, you can get assistance through your closest:

  • Air Force Base (Air Force Aid Society).
  • Navy/Marine Corps Base (Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society)
  • Coast Guard Base (Coast Guard Mutual Assistance).

If you are not within a 50 mile radius of a Military Assistance:

  • Call the American Red Cross 24 hour Military Assistance (877) 272-7337

What should I bring with me to the AER section?

  • Valid Military ID Card.
  • Current Leave and Earnings Statement.
  • Leave/PCS Orders.
  • Substantiating documents such as car repair estimate, rental agreement, utility bill.

Can my spouse get AER help if i'm away?

Yes. Your Spouse should bring:

  • Special Power of Attorney Noting use of AER.
  • Valid Military Dependent ID Card.
  • Substantiating documents.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

AER provides scholarships for dependent children and Spouses of Active Duty, Retired, and deceased Army Soldiers. Applications and instructions are available on the AER website ( for the MG James Ursano and Spouse Education Assistance Scholarship Programs.