Frequently Asked Questions 

This information is also available as a stand-alone document. Updates are posted often.



Q. Should the lodging receipt be in the Service member's or dependent's name?

A. It depends. Lodging can be claimed by the service member, dependents, or a combination based on each individual family situation. The most important thing is to make sure the zero-balance hotel receipts are in the name of the person filing the claim.

For example, a service member with one dependent spouse may choose to get one room and file for reimbursement on the service member's voucher. In this example, the zero-balance hotel receipt should be in the service member's name.

Another example is a service member with three dependents over 12 who choose to get two hotel rooms. Room 1 would be under the service member’s name and filed on the service member’s voucher in DTS. Room 2 would be under the eldest dependent’s name and filed under his or her voucher.

For any questions or concerns, please email or visit the financial processing center at AMR Community Center from 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Monday-Friday.

Q: What is the maximum I can spend on lodging?

A. For service members the maximum lodging rate on Oahu is $177/day. There was a seasonal increase to $312/day from Dec. 17- Jan. 5.

If the current rate is not sufficient to reimburse the actual lodging costs, the approving official may authorize up to 300% of the daily rate.

Army service members that secure lodging should make every effort to negotiate a lodging rate that is within the maximum rate threshold before accepting a higher rate. Now that we are beyond the high-priced holiday season service members should contact the hotel's front desk to request a rate within the current per diem. Army service members on TDY status maintain 100% per diem for the duration of TDY.

For dependent evacuees the rate is as follows:

Dependents 12 and over are authorized 100% of the maximum lodging rate for Oahu, $177/day, per person for the first 30 days and 60% beyond 30 days.

Dependents under 12 are authorized 50% of the maximum lodging rate for Oahu for the first 30 days and 30% beyond 30 days.

For example, after 30 days a family with 2 dependents over 12 and 1 under 12 is entitled reimbursement for lodging up to 150%(60%+60%+30%) of $177 or $265.50 per night.

After 30 days service members or evacuated families will not be required to move hotels to receive full lodging reimbursement unless the service member’s lodging cost exceeds 300% of the maximum lodging rate, or the cost of lodging claimed by a dependent evacuee exceeds the total lodging reimbursement applicable to that family in accordance with the reduced evacuee lodging per diem rates after 30 days.

(i.e., $265.50 per night from the above example).

Even when not required to move hotels, families should still make every effort to negotiate a lodging rate that is within the maximum rate threshold before accepting a higher rate.

Q. What is my government travel credit card limit? When do i need to pay the bill?

A: you can see the current status of your card by logging into

The credit limit, available credit, current balance, and payment due is at the top of your screen. If your limit is not set to at least $15k please contact your agency program coordinator (APC) to request an increase and to ensure your account is in a mission critical status.

For accounts in a mission critical status service members do not need to pay their GTCC balance until settling their DTS voucher after completion of TDY. DTS vouchers will be settled via split disbursement with funds going both to pay off the GTCC balance and to the service members' bank account as applicable.

Q. When do I settle my voucher in DTS (for service members)?

A: A voucher in DTS is settled at the end of travel.

Q. I am an Army service member, what happens to my Operation Ohana entitlements if i go on TDY?

A: As an Army service member, you cannot be on two TDY orders for the same time period. If leaving Oahu on TDY, then the TDY for Operation Ohana will be stopped.

If you return from TDY and your home is still impacted the Operation Ohana TDY can be restarted the day after your return.

It is important to understand that your spouse and dependents can retain their evacuation entitlements even while you are on a TDY mission.

Remember to ensure they have lodging receipts in their name during this time. Additionally, if a service member goes on leave during the TDY period the service member’s TDY entitlements will be zeroed out during the leave period. A service member is not authorized TDY entitlements while in a leave status.

Q: Who needs to come to the financial processing center?

A: If you plan to stay in a hotel, and are a Soldier, only the eldest dependent must visit a financial processing center.

If you are a DA Civilian, you must visit the financial processing center.

All Soldiers on TDY do not need to visit a financial processing center. DTS authorizations are being built off-site. The Soldiers will receive an email verification.

The only reason Soldiers would need to visit one of our financial processing centers is if they are starting or settling TLA, are signing on behalf of their eldest dependent who is under the age of 18 or have Government Travel Credit Card (GTCC) questions or concerns.

Q: Who does the financial support center assist?

A: All US Army Personnel and dependents who live in a housing area named in the Evacuation Authorization dated 9 DEC and addendums dated 10 and 11 DEC. This includes Soldiers and DA Civilians, and their dependents.

Q: What are my entitlements?

A: Entitlements will vary based on family size and your decision to stay in your home or move to a hotel. Reference TF Ohana Financial Support FAQs Trifold for more information. Our finance experts will answer all of your questions during processing. Your entitlements begin on 2 December in accordance with the Emergency Evacuation Authorization, and are not impacted by when you process the Financial Processing Center.

Q: Can I utilize Airbnb or other vacations home rental services to procure lodging for my family?

A: Yes, use of Airbnb and other vacation home rental services to procure lodging is authorized given the evacuation authorization and resulting hotel room shortage. Families exploring this option must ensure they understand their lodging entitlement (see next question), and like all lodging, an itemized receipt must be presented to be reimbursed. In this instance, considered lodging may exceed your entitlement so understanding said entitlement allows you to make an informed financial decision. Also, the itemized receipt is necessary to process the reimbursement request.

Q: Can I get an advance?

A: Family members authorized evacuation entitlements are eligible to receive a travel advance. Advances can be up to 80% of estimated entitlements for the first 30 days. You can apply when you process through the financial support center.

Q: What entitlements am I authorized if I stay in my affected home?

A: If you decide to stay in your home, you will be authorized  the TLA Meals only rate. See the Tri-fold for specific rates.  Our finance experts will work thru your unique set of circumstances during processing.

Q: Where are the financial support centers?

A: Asia Pacific Center for Security Studies at 2058 Maluhia Rd Honolulu and AMR Community Center at 182 Kauhini Rd Honolulu.

Q: What if I do not have a Government Travel Credit Card?

A: TF Ohana has a limited number of hotel rooms under contract for individuals without GTCCs or the capacity to book hotel rooms without a GTCC. Soldiers should identify at the in processing station that they need  contracted lodging. TF Ohana will work with Soldiers on site to coordinate for GTCC assistance.

Q: I don't think my GTCC is active/has a high enough limit.

A: Your Chain of Command is tracking all impacted Soldiers, and is ensuring cards are active, with a $10,000 limit. We will have help clerks at the Financial Processing centers to contact unit Agency Program Coordinators.

Q: How will TF Ohana initiate DTS authorizations for Soldiers?

A: The authorization will be initiated on your behalf. Soldiers will sign vouchers in DTS upon completion of their TDY either on site at AMR or at Once the authorization is initiated, soldiers will receive an automated email verification to the email in their DTS profile.  Family members will be we processed using a manual system (DD 1610- Travel Orders), and this will be done at processing.

Soldiers should not have to return to the finance support center until you return to your home.  You will automatically get scheduled partial payment every 30 days while on a TDY status.

Q: How often will I conduct settlements/vouchers? Who will contact me?

A: Vouchers should be filed every 10-14 days for dependents claiming safe haven entitlements. This can be done at your convenience at the AMR financial support center. Hours for filing vouchers will vary over the holidays, and will be posted on the USAG-HI website.

Q: What if I have a dependent I need to add to Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)?

A: Dependents may only be added at the DEERS office located at the Military Personnel Division (MPD) Building 750, Schofield Barracks. Bring substantiating documents (Birth Certificate/Marriage Certificate). Authorized dependents are still authorized entitlements, but they cannot be processed or paid until a dependent is in DEERS.

Q: Where can I file claims for damaged personal property?

A: The Claims team will be available at the AMR Chapel 13-21 December 2021. Briefs are 0900, 1100, 1300, and 1500. The claims team will assist Families with the online process. See:

Q: Can non-Army personnel come to the Army financial support center?

A: Other services and their families must use the JBPHH Military & Family Support Center's Emergency Family Assistance Center. Address: 4827 Bougainville Dr, Honolulu HI 96818 Phone: 866-525-6676.



Q: I live on another Army installation. Is my water affected by this issue?

A: No. Aliamanu Military Reservation and Red Hill are the only Army installations supplied with water from the Navy’s water system.

  • Fort Shafter: Water comes from two wells within Fort Shafter’s own water system.
  • Schofield Barracks: Water is obtained from four deep wells located under the Schofield Barracks Water Treatment Plant. Schofield’s Water Treatment Plant provides water to Helemano Military Reservation, Schofield Barracks and Wheeler Army Airfield.
  • Helemano Military Reservation: Water is obtained from four deep wells located under the Schofield Barracks Water Treatment Plant.
  • Wheeler Army Airfield: Water is obtained from four deep wells located under the Schofield Barracks Water Treatment Plant.
  • Tripler Army Medical Center: Tripler’s water comes from its own water treatment plant, which is located south of the installation boundary.

Additional details about the water on Army installations is available online at

Q: I have health concerns. Where should I go?

A: Medical screening is available at the AMR Community Center from Dec. 13-16 between 8 a.m.8 p.m. The last date you can be screened at this facility will be the evening of December 16. Beginning December 17, medical assistance is available by calling the Military Health System Water Hotline at 808-433-8102 or the TRICARE Nurse Advice Line at 800-874-2273.

Q: Is the HVAC system in AMR and Red Hill homes pushing out contaminated air?

A: No. The HVAC systems in AMR and Red Hill homes do not spray water in the air; they recirculate water in an enclosed loop to help cool your home, very similar to how a radiator cools a car engine.



Q: Where can I pick up potable water?

A: Bottled water distribution will continue to be available at the AMR Shoppette, 24-hours a day. Bulk water distribution will also continue to be available, 24-hours a day. As of December 12, bulk water can be received at the following locations: AMR Shoppette, AMR Child Development Center, Red Hill Community Center, Red Hill Elementary, Catlin Drive JBPHH, and Hickam Makai Recreation Center. We are assessing whether or not to consolidate bulk water sites on AMR and Red Hill during the Holiday leave window, and we will update you if we make any adjustments.

Island Palm Communities has bottled water available to residents at both the Aliamanu and Red Hill community centers every day from 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Families are limited to one case per household, and cases are available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Q: When are shower services changing?

A: The temporary shower facilities at AMR will continue to be available from December 13-16. The hours of operation are 0500-1000 in the morning, 1200-1400 in the afternoon, and 1800-2200 in the evening. As our Families transition to the new entitlements, temporary shower facilities will close. Last time to take a shower in the AMR facility is December 16!

Q: When are laundry services changing? Where can I do laundry?

A: The final day for drop off will be on Tuesday, December 14 at AMR, Hilton Hawaiian Village, Outrigger, Best Western, Ala Moana Hotel, and the Alohilani Hotel. The final day for laundry pick up will be on Friday, December 17 at AMR only. Laundry service will no longer be available after December 17.

AAFES has 10 washers and 10 dryers available for use 24/7 at the Fort Shafter Laundromat (Bldg. 537, Arsenal Road). Cost is $2 to wash or dry. The machines are coin operated and there is a coin change machine in the facility.

Information for families living on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam is available at

Q: When is school bus service ending?

A: School bus service will terminate after the morning pick-up of December 17. Buses are servicing the following schools: Aiea Intermediate, Aiea High, Aliamanu Middle, Makalapa Elementary, Pearl Harbor Elementary, Red Hill Elementary, Webling Elementary, Radford High, Moanalua Middle, and Moanalua High.

Q: When is the shuttle service ending?

A: shuttle service will continue to be available from December 13-17. The daily hours of operation are 0600-1900. This service will end on Friday December 17.

Q: When are hotel liaisons ending?

A: Hotel LNOs will continue to be available 24 hours a day from December 13-16. The following hotels are currently staffed with LNOs: Hilton Hawaiian Village, Best Western, Alohilani, Ala Moana Hotel, Equus, Outrigger Reef, Outrigger Beachcomber, Outrigger Waikiki, Hilton Waikiki, Hyatt Regency, Aston Waikiki, Doubletree, Marriott Waikiki Beach, and Holiday Inn Express. On December 17, we will maintain an off-site hotel liaison office available via the Task Force Ohana Hotline at (808) 620-7938 or (808) 620-7951.

Q: Are the services listed available for Army personnel who reside in non-Army housing?

A: Yes, all services are available to Army personnel (active duty or civilian) regardless of where they live in an affected area in military housing.



Q: I’m worried my pet may be sick. What is the guidance?

A: Common symptoms of petroleum poisoning in pets include vomiting, gastrointestinal issues, and lethargy. It can progress to more serious clinical signs if not removed.

The best course of prevention is to provide non-contaminated water to your pets, do not bathe with contaminated water and try to prevent any contact with contaminated water outside. Should your house have a persistent strong odor it is not recommended to leave your pet in there all day.

Most patients will recover quickly after the toxin is removed. Underlying conditions can hinder this recovery.

The Fort Shafter Veterinary Clinic is holding walk-in hours for affected families. Check their Facebook page or call (808) 438-5231 or (808) 438-5233 for information on upcoming dates and times.

Q: Are there any facilities available for boarding pets?

A: No cost boarding for affected Families residing in hotels is available at the MWR Kennel through December 17. Beginning December 18, pet boarding will transition to a fee service. For details and pricing, please contact the MWR Kennel at 808-368-3456.They can be reached at (808) 368-3456. Address is 99-951 Halawa Valley St., Aiea, Hawaii 96701.

Back to top