Plastic recyclables

Take advantage of recycling programs available on post! Recycling is a simple way that you can help out the environment and preserve our natural resources from being depleted. Proceeds from the garrison's qualified recycling program help fund environmental projects and Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation events for the community.

Recyclables can be dropped off at the Army Recycling Center during the center's hours of operation. You MUST call ahead and make an appointment before taking wood and green waste to the center.

>>Check out our recycling matrix, which outlines who can dispose of specific items where.

Items We Accept

Acceptable items are subject to change due to site capacity, restrictions, funding, and other factors.

  • Color paper
  • Dry cardboard
  • Glossy paper
  • Green waste
  • Hard plastic containers #1-5 (containers must be rinsed out; no segregation required)
  • HI-5 glass, plastic, aluminum beverage containers
  • Magazines
  • Newspaper
  • Non-corrugated cardboard
  • Scrap metal (uncontaminated) to include aluminum and steel cans
  • Toner cartridges
  • White office paper (shredded must be bagged)
  • Wood pallets (unpainted/untreated, and in limited quantities only)
  • Wood and green waste (require an appointment, please call to coordinate)

Items We Do Not Accept

  • Appliances
  • Batteries
  • Electronic Waste
  • Fluorescent bulbs
  • Furniture
  • General refuse (trash)
  • Hazardous waste
  • Mattresses
  • Flexible plastics (grocery bags, cereal box liners)
  • Vehicle waste, oil, tires

The City and County of Honolulu provides nine public refuse drop-off locations: six convenience centers and three transfer stations around the island for Hawaii residents to dispose of their household rubbish.

Hawaii residents may use any of these locations free of charge.

For more information on the refuse drop-off locations, visit

Frequently Asked Questions

What is solid waste?

Solid Waste is defined as garbage, refuse and other discarded material. Solid waste can be solid, semi-solid, sludge, liquid and contained gaseous materials. Solid waste does not include hazardous waste, or the waste of domestic animals.

What is recycling?

Recycling is defined by the Environmental Protection Agency as the process of collecting and processing materials that would otherwise be thrown away as trash and turning them into new products.

There are three steps to recycling: collection and processing, manufacturing, and purchasing new products made from recycled materials.

When something is recycled it is removed from the solid waste stream, collected, processed and re-manufactured, completing the circle as something new.

For more information, visit

Why recycle?

There are lots of reasons!

  1. It's mandatory! Check out USAG HI Policy Memo 11, Solid Waste Management and Recycling. This policy applies to daily civilian and military activities as well as special events and functions.
  2. Reduce the amount of waste sent to landfills and incinerators
  3. Conserve natural resources such as timber, water and minerals
  4. Increase economic security by tapping a domestic source of materials
  5. Prevent pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials
  6. Save energy
  7. Help create jobs in the recycling and manufacturing industries in the United States

What is single-stream recycling?

Single-stream recycling is a system in which all recyclables, including newspaper, cardboard, plastic, aluminum, junk mail, etc., are placed in a single bin for recycling. These recyclables are collected by a single truck and will be sorted into various commodity streams for sale to markets and ultimately manufactured into new products.

Does single-stream recycling lower the value of the recyclables, and won’t there be a lot of contamination?

Not necessarily. One of the concerns associated with single-stream recycling is that one bin tends to encourage people to suddenly put EVERYTHING that seems recyclable in it. That’s why we need YOU to help demonstrate that a community full of educated, conscientious recyclers can make single-stream recycling a success.

View our guide to single-stream recycling.

Where can I get a recycling bin?

For residential recycling, contact your Island Palm Communities ⚠ community center.

For barracks and other on-post facilities, call (808) 656-9911 to request a recycling bin.

How do I request a pick-up of recyclable material?

For residential recycling, contact your Island Palm Communities ⚠ community center.

For barracks and other on-post facilities, call (808) 656-9911 to request a recycling pick-up.

Am I required to separate my recyclables from my waste?

YES. Dumpsters containing cardboard and other recyclables will not be picked up and you will be required to remove the recyclable items before your trash is collected.

What materials are accepted at the Army Recycling Center?

Dry corrugated cardboard, mixed paper (white, color, glossy, non-corrugated cardboard), newspaper, shredded paper (must be bagged), plastics #1 - #5 (rinsed), aluminum cans, glass bottles, magazines, toner cartridges, scrap metal (no plastic), untreated/unpainted wood & wood pallets (limited quantities), & green waste.

How do I tell what number plastic I have?

There are seven types of consumer plastic or resin codes. Check the bottom of the container for a number #1-5 inside the three chasing arrows logo.

  • #1 PETE: Polyethylene Terephthalate
    Commonly used in soft drinks, juice, and cough syrup containers and microwave trays.
  • #2 HDPE: High Density Polyethylene
    Commonly used in milk jugs, detergent and shampoo bottles.
  • #3 V: Polyvinyl Chloride
    Commonly used in film for meat packaging and some rigid plastic containers.
  • #4 LDPE: Low Density Polyethylene
    Commonly used in butter cups lids.
  • #5 PP: Polypropylene
    Commonly used in yogurt containers and deli trays.
  • #6 PS: Polystyrene
    Commonly used in plastic cups and plates and to-go containers.
  • #7 OTHER: Other mixed resins
    Commonly used in mixed plastic containers or plastic products.

My unit has old classified documents that need to be destroyed. Can we burn them?

NO. Per local U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii policy and state law, the burning of any material in an open fire is not allowed anywhere on the installation. The garrison does not have a classified document incinerator.

It is recommended that units utilize an approved shredder for classified documents. There are several document destruction companies servicing Hawaii. Many offer mobile truck services where documents are destroyed behind a locked security screen at your location. Once your documents are destroyed, you are given a certificate of destruction, please share this information with the Recycling Program (phone numbers below).

The unit is responsible for selecting a provider for this service and the Army does not endorse any particular company. Prices will vary depending on the services provided, so it will be up to the unit to find the best value. Please contact the Recycling Program at call (808) 656-5411 or (808) 656-3085 with questions.