Stock photo of two female graduates hugging

Welcome to the Army Continuing Education System website, serving U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii Soldiers, civilians and their families. Stop by either Education Center (located on Schofield Barracks and Tripler Army Medical Center) to speak with an education counselor, learn more about financial aid and local education programs or enroll in selected programs.

For more information on education resources, check out FMWR's Employment Readiness Program for spouses or School Support Services for dependent children.

Academic Counseling

The educational counseling process is central to the delivery of meaningful adult educational programs and services to Soldiers in our geographic area of responsibility.

Army guidance counselors assist Soldiers to establish realistic long- and short-range educational goals, advise Soldiers on how to make plans toward the achievement of those goals, and assist, through counseling, on the advisement of the appropriate ACES programs and services to fulfill goals.

Counselors are available on a walk-in basis, Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. at both the Schofield Barracks and Tripler Army Medical Center Education Centers.

Although Soldiers are the priority for ACES counselors, counseling services are also available to adult family members, Department of Army civilians and other eligible personnel.

Colleges & Universities

Accredited colleges and universities offer certificate and degree programs to Soldiers and adult family members via on-post classes, off-post attendance at a local institution or through distance learning.

On-post college terms are offered on a quarterly schedule.

Central Michigan University(808) 624-3939(808) 782-1541
Central Texas College(808) 624-0198(808) 292-8476
Chaminade University of Hawaii(808) 624-2515(808) 840-1025
Hawaii Pacific University(808) 687-7094(808) 544-1493
Wayland Baptist University(808) 564-3360(808) 833-2001

On Duty Programs

Looking to improve your general technical, or GT, score? Improvement classes are offered at both the Schofield Barracks and Tripler Army Medical Center Education Centers.

  • Schofield Barracks Education Center
    • Cost: $20, due on first day of class
    • Pre-test must be completed prior to class start date
    • Authorization memo must be singed by Soldier and company commander prior to class start date
    • Call (808) 655-0800 or (808) 655-0805 for further information
  • Tripler Army Medical Center Education Center
    • Cost: $20, due on first day of class
    • No pre-test required
    • Call (808) 433-4184 for further information

Scholarship Opportunities

Information contained in U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii Education Center's Scholarship Handout is provided as an information resource for Soldiers and their dependents, and civilian employees looking for scholarship and educational programs.

No endorsement is implied. Scholarships eligibility and availability change frequently.

Testing Programs

National Testing Centers

Hawaii Pacific University provide testing locations at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam and Marine Corps Base Hawaii-Kaneohe Bay.

Additional information and appointments for testing can be made at (808) 687-7093.

Army Personnel Testing

Army Personnel Test centers are located at both the Schofield Barracks Army Education Center and the Tripler Army Medical Center Education Center to administer a wide variety of official military tests. Soldiers are advised to contact their local Army education centers for the testing schedule.

Tests include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Armed Forces Classification Test (AFCT)**
  • Defense Language Aptitude Battery (DLAB)
  • Defense Language Proficient Tests (DLPT)
  • Defense Language Reading Proficiency Test (DLRPT)
  • Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI)
  • Selection Instrument for Flight Training (SIFT)
  • Test of Adult Basic Education (TABE)

**A brigade-level S1 system is in place for AFCT scores to be picked up at the APT testing center. Soldiers can no longer hand-carry test results to their unit PAC/S1 to update their records in the Army Personnel System. Test results must be routed to Soldier's brigade-level S1 to update records.

Testing requests submitted to the Army Personnel Testing Center at Schofield Barracks and Tripler must be made on the current version of DA Form 4187. Sample forms are below:

Tuition Assistance

Tuition assistance for Soldiers:

  • Non-successful grades are defined as grades "D" or "F" for undergraduate work and "C," "D" or "F" for graduate work Tuition assistance recoupment should be expected.
  • If you have a complaint regarding the college or university you are attending, you must file a complaint via Users will be redirected to Military One Source or Veterans Affairs to file the complaint.
  • No fees, to include any supporting instructional fees, will be paid using tuition assistance. The actual cost of tuition, up to $250 per semester hour, is the only cost that will be funded.
  • Except in overseas locations, a school seeking access to the installation solely to provide academic counseling or student support services must have a DoD student population of at least 20 military students.
  • Tuition assistance must be approved before the start date of the class.
  • Soldiers can use tuition assistance after successful completion of their first year of service after graduating from either Advanced Individual Training, Officer Candidate School or Basic Officer Leaders Course..
  • Soldiers are eligible for up to 16 semester hours per year.
  • Soldiers can use tuition assistance for a second, higher-level post-bachelor's degree after completion of 10 years of service. The second degree time-in-service requirement applies to movement from a bachelor's to a master's degree, and not from an associate's to a bachelor's degree. The 10-year requirement only applies if Army tuition assistance was used to pay for any portion of the undergraduate coursework.
  • Soldiers receive up to $250 per semester hour
  • Limit of 130 semester hours for completion of a bachelor's degree and up to 39 semester hours for a master's degree.
  • Tuition assistance can't for a second equivalent degree (no second bachelor's or master's degree) nor for first professional degree (PhD, MD or JD).
  • All courses must be part of an approved degree plan.
  • Tuition assistance is not approved for Soldiers who are flagged for APFT/AWCP.

Tuition assistance for new and continuing students:

  • Those who want to change home schools and degree plans or change from Base Role to Tuition Assistance Eligible Status must go through this procedure. This is a newly required process Soldiers must use to request a Tuition Assistance Eligible Role through GoArmyEd, as well as to change schools and degree plans for continuing students.
  • Soldiers are now required to use VIA, a decision support tool that helps Soldiers identify a civilian career goal and select a degree that helps prepare Soldiers for their career goal and a school that offers the selected degree.
  • After using VIA a new help desk case will be automatically sent to your Army Education Counselor for approval. Students start the process by selecting the "Request TA Access" Smart Link to launch VIA in their GoArmyEd portal.
  • For assistance, call (800) 817-9990.

My Career Advancement Account (MyCAA) Scholarship

The My Career Advancement Account Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides eligible military spouses with financial assistance for licenses, certifications, or associate degrees to pursue an occupation
or career field.

To be eligible for this program, an individual must be the spouse of an active duty Air Force, Army, Marine, Navy, National Guard, or Reserve members in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, or O-1 to O-2.

The scholarship provides a maximum education benefit of $4,000, with an annual fiscal year cap of $2,000 to assist eligible military spouses. Annual cap waivers are available for licensure and certification programs, if there is an upfront tuition cost that exceeds $2,000 (up to the maximum educational benefit of $4,000).

For more information, visit or call (855) 520-6810.