Gate Access

Anyone entering a U.S. Army Hawaii installation must have a Department of Defense Common Access Card, or CAC, or ID card.

Non-Department of Defense CAC/ID card holders are allowed on post but must obtain a short-term or long-term visitor pass. Guests remain under the responsibility of their sponsor at all times. The sponsor must be 18 years or older and possess a valid Department of Defense ID card.

Children 15 and under do not have to show an ID.

Short-Term Visitors (1 Day Pass)

All visitors (anyone without a military ID card) must have a visitor pass. You will be routed to the closest Vehicle Processing Center for a temporary pass if you attempt to come on post without a pass. Vehicle Processing Centers are located at:

  • Fort Shafter's Buckner Gate (for access to Aliamanu Military Reservation, Fort Shafter, Fort Shafter Flats or Red Hill)
  • Schofield Barracks' Lyman gate (for access to Helemano Military Reservation, Schofield Barracks or Wheeler Army Airfield)
  • Tripler Army Medical Center's main gate

Vehicle Processing Centers provide daily passes that expire at midnight on the date of issue, based on need.

In order to obtain a visitor pass, you must have a valid state or federal ID. Drivers in their own vehicle must possess a valid operator's license, vehicle safety inspection, registration and proof of no-fault insurance. Operators of rental vehicles must have the no-fault insurance statement in their agreement or in possession of their personal vehicle insurance card.

Long-Term Visitors (Employees, Residents & Frequent Visitors)

Sponsored guests and commercial businesses must possess and present a guest or Controlled Access Pass to gain entry at gate. Controlled Access Passes are processed by the Visitor Control Center, Bldg. 6508, Leilehua Golf Course. Call (808) 655-1620 for more information.

  • Houseguest, Caregiver or Visitor Controlled Access Pass: To obtain a house guest, caregiver or visitor Controlled Access Pass, the sponsor and guest (10 years old and above) should visit the Visitor Control Center and fill out a Controlled Access Pass application form. To minimize processing time, sponsors can fill out the application ahead of time. A valid drivers license or state ID and proof of social security number will need to be presented if the pass is needed for longer than 30 days.

    If you are a disabled veteran, authorized caregiver, Purple Heart recipient or formed POW and need a Controlled Access Pass to use the commissary, post exchange or MWR facility, you must also bring your Veteran Healthcare Identification Card or Veterans Affairs authorized caregiver letter.

    Please note: House guests staying in on-post family housing for more than six days also need to be registered at the resident's community center. In addition, sponsors who are E-6 and below will need a commander's signature on the Controlled Access Pass application form.
  • Agent Card: An Agent Card is issued to a designated agent sponsored by the commissary and/or exchange. After Agent Card holders receive their agent card, they should proceed to the Visitor Control Center with their agent card, driver’s license and proof of social security to obtain a Controlled Access Pass.
  • Contractor/Vendor Controlled Access Pass: Contractors/vendors who are not authorized to receive a Department of Defense common access card and desire streamlined entry into the installation are encouraged to enroll in the RAPIDGate Program. The program supports the security requirements while offering a streamlined access procedure for vendors, contractors, sub-contractors, suppliers and service providers. This voluntary program is available by installation approval to new and existing personnel who require routine access to U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii. Separate sponsorship and participation at each installation is required.

    Companies that choose not to participate in the RAPIDGate Program will have limited access through the Schofield Barracks Lyman gate, Fort Shafter’s Buckner Gate and Tripler Army Medical Center Main Gate. All employees will be required to go through the inspection area and will be subject to the standard access control procedures, security screenings, and/or vehicle inspections.

    Companies that service U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii facilities may initiate enrollment in the RAPIDGate Program by calling (877) 727-4342. More information about the enrollment process is available in the RAPIDGate Program Enrollment Information packet

    If you have questions regarding the RAPIDGate Program at U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii, please call (877) 727-4342.

Gate Hours

  • Aliamanu Military Reservation (Housing)
    • Main Gate: Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
    • Back Gate: Open from 5 a.m.-10 p.m./ 7 days a week
    • Valley View Gate: Open from 7-9 a.m., Monday- Friday, exit only
  • Fort Shafter
    • Buckner Gate (front gate): Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
    • Johnson Gate: Closed (open by appointment only for oversized trucks)
    • Patch Gate (back gate): Gate open from 5 a.m.-9 p.m., Monday-Friday
    • Patton Gate: Closed
  • Fort Shafter Flats
    • Main Gate: Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
  • Fort DeRussy (Hale Koa)
    • Main Gate: Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
  • Helemano Military Reservation (Housing)
    • Main Gate: Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
  • Pililaau Army Recreation Center
    • Main Gate: Gate open 24 hours/ 7 days a week.
  • Red Hill (Housing)
    • Main Gate: Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
  • Schofield Barracks
    • Lyman Gate (Required gate for all visitors): Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
    • Foote Gate: Open from 5 a.m.-9 p.m./ 7 days a week
    • Funston Gate: Closed
    • Macomb Gate: Open 5 a.m.-1 p.m., Monday-Friday. Closed Saturday, Sunday and holidays. Outbound-only from 4-6 p.m., Monday-Friday
    • McNair Gate: Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week. Inbound-only 5-6:30 a.m. Monday-Friday (except weekends, federal and training holidays)
  • Tripler Army Medical Hospital
    • Main Gate: Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
  • Wheeler Army Airfield
    • Kunia Gate: Open 24 hours/ 7 days a week
    • Kawamura Gate: Open 5 a.m.-9 p.m./ 7 days a week
    • HECO Gate: When school is in session, open 6:30-8:30 a.m., and noon-3 p.m., Monday-Friday, exit only.
    • Stover Gate: Closed

Denial Waiver

If you have been denied access at a Vehicle Processing Center or the Visitor Control Center based on the regulatory required National Crime Information Center Interstate Identification Index, or NCIC III, check utilized to determine identity vetting, you may request for an access denial waiver by completing the following steps:

  1. Obtain a certified copy of your complete criminal history, including all arrests and convictions, from the appropriate Clerk of the Court. This criminal history must include all matters that were noted in your NCIC III check.
  2.  Obtain a letter of support from your employer. The letter must, at least, indicate that your employer will employ you upon the issuance of a waiver. In cases where you are visiting a government sponsor on post, you must include your sponsor's; full name, rank/status, unit/organization, address for on-post residence or location of visitation, telephone number and dates of visitation.
  3.  Complete U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii's Access Control Denial Waiver Application in its entirety and submit your application packet to your government sponsor who will be responsible for the submission of the waiver application to the Community Compliance Office. You must list all offenses and provide an explanation about why your offenses should not bar you from coming on a U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii installation in the application.
  4.  The government sponsor will review the applicant’s packet for completeness and determine if a waiver is warranted for the applicant before submission to Community Compliance Office.
  5.  The government sponsor must provide a letter of recommendation for the applying applicant. The government sponsor should address the respective offenses and indicate why those offenses should prevent the applicant from being barred from U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii. The government sponsor can scan all the documentation and email to a representative from the Community Compliance Office. Alternatively, the government sponsor can hand deliver the waiver application to the Community Compliance Office, 745 Wright Avenue, Bldg. 107, Room 302A, Wheeler Army Airfield.

Upon satisfaction of the following steps, the Community Compliance Office, will review the applicant’s application. The fitness determination representative will determine based on the information provided whether the applicant fits into one of the following categories:

  1. The applicant is prohibited for life from obtaining a denial waiver for access to U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii;
  2. The applicant has been convicted within 10 years regardless of the offense or violation at the time of submitting a denial waiver is prohibited for 10 years from the date of discharge of their sentence from obtaining a denial waiver;
  3. The applicant has a current arrest warrant in NCIC, regardless of the offense or violation.

If you are not disqualified for one of the above reasons, the reviewing officer will forward the package with a recommendation to the garrison commander for a final decision on your status.

The applicant will be mailed a copy of the garrison commander's decision. If you state on your application, a scanned copy can be emailed to you. It is your responsibility to provide the Community Compliance Office with your current address in the application. If the decision is returned to the Community Compliance Office due to an incorrect address, no further notice will be sent to you and your waiver request will not be processed.

Should your request be denied, an appeal must state new grounds for an appeal, such as missing information, etc., before it will be accepted.

To ensure that your request is complete, please follow these instructions:

Submit the completed application to your government sponsor. The government sponsor will review, complete cover letter recommendation, and hand deliver, fax, or email the following two items to the Community Compliance Office when the packet is completed:

  • the Denial Waiver Application.
  • all supporting documents, including those certified by the Clerk of the Court, for the waiver application

Motorcycle Access

All motorcyclists and moped drivers must have proof of completion of a valid Department of Defense-approved safety course to operate a motorcycle or moped on post. Service members and Department of the Army civilians can request traffic safety classes on the Army Traffic Safety Training Program website  by selecting "View Available Courses," "Pacific" region, and "Hawaii" garrison, and the desired course.

Have questions about motorcycle safety regulations? Check out the Personal Protective Equipment and Motorcycle Inspection checklists, and read the Motorcycle Safety Policy Letter.

Motorists and vendors with additional questions should contact the Installation Access Office at (808) 656-0247, the Fort Shafter Provost Marshal Office at (808) 438-2230, or the Schofield Barracks Provost Marshal Office at (808) 655-9496.

Weapons Registration

All personally-owned firearms must first be registered with Honolulu Police Department in accordance with Hawaii statutes:

  1. Out of state registrants need to take firearm(s) in a case (without ammunition), in person, to the Main Police Station Firearms Unit (801 South Beretania Street, Honolulu, Hawaii)  no later than five calendar days from arrival.  Out of state registrants are encouraged to arrive at the Firearms Unit no later than 3 p.m. The out of state registration process can be lengthy.  If there is a line, they may not be able to accommodate you.  There is no 14-day waiting period for out-of-state registration. You need the following when you register your firearm:
    1.     Firearms Information Form
    2.    Medical Information Waiver
    3.     Mental Health Waiver
    4.     Firearms Application/Questionnaire
    5.     Married couples who would like to have their firearms jointly registered in both names need to also bring the original marriage certificate.
  2. Bring the Honolulu Police Department registration to either Fort Shafter or Schofield Barracks military police station to register on post (do not bring the personally owned firearms) within those same five days.  This is only for individuals who will have weapons kept or brought on post.
  3. Maintain the registration paperwork; you will need it when you depart Hawaii.

 For more information, to schedule an appointment during COVID-19 conditions, or to download forms required, visit