Our primary mission is to provide guidance and assistance when applying for Official and Diplomatic No-Fee government passports. The passport section DOES NOT issue Tourist Passports. The Office of Passport Services of the Department of State makes the final determination on passports issued.




  • You are an officer or employee of the U.S. Government, traveling abroad for the U.S. Government
  • You are the dependent of someone traveling abroad for the U.S. Government, and will accompany them on their assignment
  • You are exempt by law from payment of the passport fee
  • You have a letter from the American Battle Monuments Commission stating that you are traveling overseas in honor of a deceased family member in the U.S. Armed Forces

Passport Application

Visit the application page here

Choose “First Time Application” or “Renewal Application”, and then choose Apply Online.

You will now have Form DS-11 on your screen to fill out.

Please fill out all of the sections with asterisks and even the ones without if you know that information. Fill out all lines completely and accurately.

Applications must be typed online and printed with a barcode label on the upper left hand corner of the front page. The application must be printed single sided, not double sided.


Required Documents: Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

When applying for a U.S. passport in person, evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with Form DS-11.

All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you. These documents will be delivered with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.

Official Passport Applications are by appointment only. Please call (609) 562-5401 to schedule your appointment.

It will expedite your process if you fill out the application (DS-11) ahead of time and bring it with you.

Can I use my official passport for any overseas travel?


Where can I apply if these requirements do not apply to me?

Visit the Department of State Passport Information Page

Required documents for primary evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following)

*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.
Beginning April 1, 2011, all birth certificates must also include the full names of the applicant's parent(s).
NOTE: If you do not have primary evidence of U.S. citizenship or your U.S. birth certificate does not meet the requirements, you will be required to provide secondary evidence of U.S. Citizenship, which includes:

  • Early Public Records
  • Delayed Birth Cerfificate
  • Letter of No Record
  • Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit
  • Foreign Birth Documents + Parent (s) Citizenship Evidence

Passport Photos

If you are applying for a U.S. Passport, you must provide two (2) photos. Your passport photos must be:

  • In color
  • Printed on photo quality paper 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size and sized such that the head is between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches (between 25 and 35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head. View the Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details.
  • Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
  • Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
  • Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
  • With a neutral facial expression and both eyes open
  • Taken in clothing that you normally wear on a daily basis
  • Uniforms should not be worn in your photo, except religious clothing that is worn daily
  • Do not wear a hat or head covering that obscures the hair or hairline, unless worn daily for a religious purpose. Your full face must be visible, and the head covering must not cast any shadows on your face.
  • Headphones, wireless hands-free devices or similar items are not acceptable in your photo.
  • If you normally wear prescription glasses, a hearing device or similar articles, they may be worn for your photo.
  • Dark glasses or non-prescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless you need them for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required)
  • Glare on glasses is not acceptable in your photo. Glare can be avoided with a slight downward tilt of the glasses or by removing the glasses or by turning off the camera flash.

Where can I get passport photos?

To obtain passport photos for yourself and/or your family you can contact, Training Support Center Photography studio for an apppointment or go to the VIOS home page to fill out the necessary information and to schedule an appointment. You can only go to this site if you are a CAC holder. If you cannot come to Fort Dix to get your photos taken you may go to any retail store that takes passport photos ensuring they follow the rules above.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If the country you are going to requires a visa you will need additional photos. If possible you should obtain 4 photos in total at a minimum when getting your photos taken. Please contact the Passport Office for information regarding visas.

Additional Information

Military Dependents

All Service Members will need to furnish a copy of their orders bringing them on active duty or a copy of their Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders.
Dependants will need to furnish a copy of their sponsor’s orders with all dependants names listed. See additional information for children.

Government Employees

Government Employees will need to furnish a copy of their orders and a memo from their unit indicating the country and reason for a No-Fee passport to be issued. For additional information regarding any of the topics above. Visit Travel.State.Gov or contact the installation passport section.