Ms. Carrie Mead
With more than 20 years of experience serving at military installations around the globe, she is currently responsible for all installation management services and base operations.
Her previous role was as Deputy Garrison Manager from July 2017 to December 2019. In this capacity she helped guide personnel services, public works, emergency response, security, morale, welfare and recreation as well as strategic planning for the entire installation with a workforce of more than 500 Department of the Army Civilians, Non-Appropriate Fund personnel, and contractors that serve of community of 40,000 individuals.
Ms. Mead formerly served as the Chief of Plans, Analysis and Integration from May of 2009 thru October 2017. She led the strategic planning and organizational improvement of the garrison. Also at the Arsenal, Ms. Mead worked in the Acquisition, Logistics, & Technology community as an Operations Officer for the Armored Security Vehicle Program. She started her Army career supporting military families through the Army Family Action Plan (AFAP) and Army Family Team Building (AFTB), and as an Outreach Program Coordinator advocating for foreign born spouses living overseas.
Ms. Mead also worked for the American Red Cross in Service to Armed Forces and Emergency Services. She served the Red Cross as a military caseworker, a disaster services coordinator, a Station Manager, and as a Casework Services Coordinator. Carrie volunteered in direct support September 11th, setting up and managing the 866-GET-INFO hotline created by the Red Cross, and worked in Fort Worth, Texas providing assistance to 25,000 displaced individuals following hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
Carrie holds a Bachelor of Art in Sociology from the University of Michigan, and a Master of Nonprofit Management from Regis University in Denver. Ms. Mead is a graduate of the Department of Defense Executive Leader Development Program and alum of the IMCOM City Manager Senior Fellowship Program.
A strong supporter of volunteerism, Ms. Mead serves as the President of Women in Defense – Michigan Chapter, she is an advisor to the local National Defense Industrial Association board, and is an active advisor for Fisher House Michigan.
She’s married to Special Agent James Mead, and mother to Grady James.
Jul 18 – Present GS14, Deputy Garrison Manager, Detroit Arsenal
May 09 - Jul 18 GS13, PAIO, USAG, Detroit Arsenal
Sep 08 - May 09 GS11, Plans Specialist, USAG, Detroit Arsenal
Oct 07 – Sep 08 NH-2, Project Officer, PD-Armored Security Vehicle
Nov 05 - Oct 07 GS9, Cmty Services Spec, USAG, Detroit Arsenal
Jan 02 - Oct 05 Various, Emergency Services, American Red Cross
Oct 99 - Jan 01 GS9, Outreach Prog Coord, Baumholder, GE
- Master of Nonprofit Management, Regis University, 2004
- Bachelor of Arts, Sociology, The University of Michigan, 1995
- CP29 City Manager Senior Fellowship Program, 2019
- DoD Executive Leadership Development Program, 2015
- AMSC Civilian Education System Advanced Course, 2011
- AMSC Civilian Education System Intermediate Course, 2010
- AMSC Civilian Education System Basic Course, 2009
- Army Communities of Excellence Examiner Training 2008
Awards and Honors:
- Commander’s Award for Civilian Service (Dec 10, Oct 11, Sep 17)
- Achievement Medal for Civilian Service (Jun 10, Aug 12, Mar 13)
- Stalwart Award Finalist, Northeast Region, 2011
- Special Act Award (Feb 09, Dec 14)
Professional memberships and associations:
- President, Women in Defense, Michigan Chapter
- Advisor, National Defense Industrial Association - Michigan
- Mentee, IMCOM Headquarters Centralized Mentoring Program 2011
- Past Committee Member, Detroit Affiliate Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure