Mrs. Carrie Mead
With more than 20 years of experience serving at military installations around the globe, Ms. Mead currently serves as the Garrison Manager at the Detroit Arsenal. The arsenal encompasses 181 acres, with 74 buildings creating more than 2.6M square feet of building space where she is responsible for all installation management services and base operations. There are approximately 7,500 civilian/contract workers and 250 military on the arsenal, which is the only Active-Duty Military Installation in Michigan.
In 2022, she served as Chief of Staff for U.S. Army Garrison – Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall. The Joint Base is “America’s Post” and consists of Fort Myer and Henderson Hall in Virginia, and Fort McNair in Washington, D.C. The joint base is the only joint Army and Marine Corps base in the Department of Defense. The installation provides dozens of services and support to tens of thousands of service members, families, and retirees including Soldiers and Marines assigned to the Pentagon as well as those serving in a variety of locations around the world. The joint base is home to Joint Task Force Headquarters - National Capital Region and U.S. Army Military District of Washington, the 3d U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), the U.S. Army Band and National Defense University.
Previously, Ms. Mead was the Deputy Garrison Manager at the Detroit Arsenal from July 2017 to December 2019. In this capacity she helped guide personnel services, public works, emergency response, security, morale, welfare and recreation as well as strategic planning for the entire installation with a workforce of more than 500 Department of the Army Civilians, Non-Appropriate Fund personnel, and contractors that serve a of community of 40,000 individuals.
Ms. Mead formerly served as the Chief of Plans, Analysis and Integration from May of 2009 thru October 2017. She led the strategic planning and organizational improvement of the garrison. Ms. Mead worked in the Acquisition, Logistics, & Technology community as an Operations Officer for the Armored Security Vehicle Program. She started her Army career supporting military families through the Army Family Action Plan and Army Family Team Building, and as an Outreach Program Coordinator advocating for foreign born spouses living overseas.
Ms. Mead worked for the American Red Cross in Service to Armed Forces and Emergency Services. She served the Red Cross as a military caseworker, a disaster services coordinator, a Station Manager, and as a Casework Services Coordinator. She volunteered in direct support September 11th, by setting up and managing the 866-GET-INFO hotline created by the Red Cross, and worked in Fort Worth, Texas to provide assistance to 25,000 displaced individuals following hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
Ms. Mead holds a Bachelor of Arts in Sociology from the University of Michigan, and a Master of Nonprofit Management from Regis University in Denver. Ms. Mead is a graduate of the Department of Defense Executive Leader Development Program and alum of the IMCOM City Manager Senior Fellowship Program.
A strong supporter of volunteerism, Ms. Mead serves as a Past President of Women in Defense – Michigan Chapter, an advisor to the local National Defense Industrial Association board, and as a board member for Fisher House Michigan.
She’s married to Special Agent James Mead, and mother to Grady James.
- Aug 22 - Pres. Garrison Manager, Detroit Arsenal
- Apr 22 – Aug 22 Chief of Staff, Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall
- Dec 19 – Mar 22 Garrison Manager, Detroit Arsenal
- Jul 18 – Dec 19 Deputy Garrison Manager, Detroit Arsenal
- May 09 - Jul 18 PAIO Chief, USAG, Detroit Arsenal
- Various Assignments to include: Plans Specialist; Project Officer, PD-Armored Security Vehicle; Community Services Spec; Emergency Services, American Red Cross; Outreach Program
- Master of Nonprofit Management, Regis University
- Bachelor of Arts, Sociology, The University of Michigan
- CP29 City Manager Senior Fellowship Program
- DoD Executive Leadership Development Program
- AMSC Civilian Education System Advanced Course
Awards and Honors:
- National Defense Industrial Association – Michigan – Silver Star Award
- Commander’s Award for Civilian Service
- Achievement Medal for Civilian Service
- Stalwart Award Finalist, Northeast Region
Professional Memberships and Associations:
- Board of Directors, Fisher House Michigan
- Past President, Women in Defense, Michigan Chapter
- Advisor, National Defense Industrial Association - Michigan
- Senior Advisor, IMCOM Enterprise Emerging Leader Program
- Advisory Council Member, Walsh College – School of Business