Fort Carson was established in 1942, following Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. The city of Colorado Springs purchased land south of the city and donated it to the War Department. Construction began immediately and the first building, the camp headquarters, was completed Jan. 31, 1942.
Camp Carson was named in honor of the legendary Army scout, Gen. Christopher "Kit" Carson, who explored much of the West in the 1800s.
The mission of USAG Fort Carson is to enable Army readiness in support of U.S. national objectives and serve as the strategic support area and base of operations where Soldiers, Families, civilian employees and retirees train, work, live and thrive.
Our vision is to be the premier installation in the U.S. Army, enabling world-class training and rapid deployment of ready forces, while maximizing the quality of life of our installation community. We do this by taking care of our people, modernizing and innovating, strengthening installation readiness and resilience, and by being good stewards of our resources, all enabled through strong partnerships and effective communication. We are Mountain Post READY.