Our Mission

The U.S. Army in Europe (USAREUR) driver’s license allows Service Members, Civilians, contractors, and their family members to drive in Germany without going through the process of attaining a local German driver’s license.

Driving in Germany

The U.S. Army in Europe (USAREUR) driver’s license allows service members, civilians and their family members to drive in Germany without going through the process of attaining a local driver’s license.

Anyone arriving on permanent change of station orders falls under the Status of Forces Agreement and must have a USAREUR driver’s license to drive in Germany.

The USAREUR driver's license is also used as the basis for an International Driving Permit (IDP), which is recommended to have when driving in other European countries. In some countries, it is mandatory -- check the requirements of any country you will be driving through before starting your trip.

Additionally, you cannot legally drive a rental car in Germany without a USAREUR driver’s license.

To get a USAREUR driver’s license, personnel must pass an exam, which can be accessed and taken online prior to PCSing. Family members should use the DoD identification number located on the front of their ID cards to log on.

Personnel are advised to have their stateside driver’s license, ID/CAC card, and USAREUR license when driving in Germany, as well as with an International Driver’s Permit when outside the country.

Online Drivers Testing Instructions

The online certification is valid for sixty days and must be valid upon arrival at the Drivers Testing Office.

Online Drivers Testing Instructions

USAREUR registry of motor vehicles driver’s certificate of license training and exam

U.S Forces personnel, civilians and family members stationed or scheduled to deploy to Europe can take their certificate of license training and exam online at Joint Knowledge Online (JKO). Individuals with a Common Access Card (CAC) can login to JKO and create an account.

Non-CAC holders must request a sponsored account by signing up with JKO. Sponsored accounts must use the USERID and PASSWORD issued by JKO to access the system and take the exam.

After logging into JKO, search the catalog for USA 007 for the course. The course must be completed before the exam, USA 007B, upon completing the final exam the scores are valid for 60 day, you must visit a Drivers Testing Station within the 60 day window. Anytime past the 60 days, you must retake the exam for your score to be considered valid.

Authorization to conduct driver testing

U.S. Forces authorization to conduct driver testing for conus and OCONUS active, reserve and National Guard units deploying to Germany or the central European theater.

Commanders of units deploying to Germany wanting to facilitate driver testing commensurate with military driver training may have soldiers test online.

The website is Joint Knowledge Online individuals sign in using their Common Access Card (CAC ) or username / password and search the course catalog for USA 007 for the course and USA 007B for the exam. The training course must be completed prior to takinfg the final exam. Please take note that the exam scores are valid for 60 days.

We have had some issues with individuals receiving certificates from JKO without actually testing, so in order to avoid this please email usarmy.sembach.usareur.list.rmv-dts@mail.mil with the individual's name and DOD ID number (from the back of their CAC cards) and the test scores will be emailed back.

Completion of the USAREUR Motor Vehicle Drivers Examination to include a standard vision/eye test must be annotated on each individual DA Form 348 citing the date, time, location, test number and Proctor's name.

Attention: The Test Proctor's signature and signature block must also be over stamped with the Official Unit Stamp/Seal. If you do not have a unit stamp or seal please procure one for this purpose. Soldiers are arriving here in Germany with signatures only which means that there is a lot of work for us to verify the documents.

Upon arriving in Germany, unit members after receiving their USAREUR Military Driver's License, may use their individual DA Form 348 as authorization for issuance of the U.S. Forces Certificate of License, if testing was completed within 60 days.



8 a.m. - noon  & 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - License renewal, replacement, change, International application and military license issue
8 a.m. -  noon & 1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - License renewal, replacement, change, International application and military license issue.
Motorcycle testing (Room 302A)
Open 1 - 4 p.m.
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - License renewal, replacement, change, international application and military license issue


  • DoD ID Card
  • Stateside license, EU/NATO license, or foreign country driver license
  • Mailing address (Unit, CMR , Box, APO AE)
  • Corrective lenses if needed (applicants 65 and above need a certificate "Eye test")
  • $30.00 check, money order or credit card

For Dependents :

  • Sponsor 's Information (SSN, Mailing address, DSN phone number)


  • Stateside (or foreign) license with motorcycle endorsement 
  • USAREUR POV license
  • $ 30.00 check, money order or credit/debit card
  • Military personnel only: Valid Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) certificate (Advanced is valid for five years, Basic for one year)

For Dependents

  • Sponsor 's Information (SSN, Mailing address, DSN phone number)