92nd Engineer Battalion History
The 92nd Engineer Battalion was first constituted on 1 October 1933 in the Regular Army as the 51st Engineer Battalion. The unit was re-designated on 1 January 1938 as the 92nd Engineer Battalion and activated on 1 May 1941 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. The unit was reorganized and re-designated on 22 May 1942 as the 92nd Engineer Regiment. It was again re-designated on 1 August 1942 as the 92nd Engineer General Service Regiment. In 1942, the 92nd Engineers deployed to Italy, earning four campaign streamers during World War II: Naples-Foggia, for their efforts reconditioning the port. Rome-Arno, for their dismantling of tactical bridges, keeping roads passable for supply movements and building new fixed bridges. North Apennines, for the unit's successful repair of a 400-foot crater in a supply road that German demolitions had cut. Po Valley for maintaining a railhead for supply routes to the Po River. The four points of the black diamond on the unit crest represent these campaigns. During WWII, the Regiment became known as the "Can Do Regiment." After WWII, the Regiment was deactivated in Italy in April 1946, sent to Fort Bragg, NC, and re-designated the 92nd Engineer Battalion. The 92nd deployed in May 1967 during the Vietnam Conflict. The "Can Do Regiment" became known as the "Black Diamonds" for their distinctive unit crest. The 92nd received 14 of the 17 campaign streamers awarded in Vietnam, as well as, four Meritorious Unit Commendations and the Vietnamese Civil Action Honor Medal First Class.