The mission of the Fort Hamilton legal assistance program is to enhance the readiness of Fort Hamilton units through the provision of competent and timely legal services in order to:

  1.  Help eligible clients avoid readiness-reducing legal issues before they occur,
  2.   Resolve existing readiness-reducing legal issues when possible, and
  3.   Improve soldier and family morale through the provision of such services.

Services Information

Eligible Clients

You must have a current Active Duty or Retired military ID card with you to obtain services. If you or your sponsor is a member of the Reserve or National Guard mobilized for 29+ days, you must have either an updated Active Duty ID card or copy of mobilization orders on hand.

Contractors and Reserve Component not mobilized for at least 29 days, and Individual Ready Reserve personnel are not eligible for services.

DOD Civilians are only eligible for assistance on deployment matters and responses to Financial Liability Investigations of Property Loss (FLIPL).

The only individuals eligible for services without a military ID are:

  • Next of Kin of Service Members who died in an active status are eligible for probate assistance.
  • Parents or Guardians acting on behalf of a minor (the minor must have an ID card).
  • Holders of a special power of attorney for a legal assistance service for a deployed Service Member acting on his/her behalf.

Walk-In Services

Powers Of Attorney

Powers of attorney (POA) are offered on a walk-in basis at any time during business hours. General POAs and Specific POAs are available. Please make sure to bring all information related to the power(s) you are granting (such as year, make, model, and VIN for a Vehicle POA) and the correct name, address, and phone number of the person you are appointing to act on your behalf. Only the individual granting the POA must be present.

Notary Services
**Do not sign any document requiring a notary seal until you are actually in front of the notary.**
Notarial Services are offered on a walk-in basis at any time during business hours. Documents presented for notification must be completely filled out and unsigned. If you need a certified copy of a public record (court record, birth certificate, marriage license, car title, etc.) you should contact the official custodian of the record you are seeking such as the DMV, courthouse, or state vital records agency.

Scheduled and Walk-In Appointment Services

Legal Assistance - Provide legal advice on Military Administrative actions, family law issues, landlord/tenant issues, debtor/creditor issues, taxes, wills, and other legal matters. Notarization and Powers of Attorney are provided on walk-in basis (no appointment needed), but call ahead to make sure there is someone there if your action is time-sensitive.

Claims - Provide assistance in filing and processing personnel claims (including moving claims and damaged household goods), Federal Torts Claims Act and Military Claims Act claims IAW AR 27-20

Phone Services

We cannot provide legal advice over the phone and do not have the ability to locate or provide contact information for Service members assigned to Fort Hamilton or other installations.


Tax Center

The IRS will start accepting federal income tax returns on Jan 24. The Fort Hamilton Tax Center will open Jan 31, 2022. The Center’s eligible clients include Active Duty service members, military retirees, and their dependents who have a gross income of $100,000 or less. Contact the Legal Office for additional information.

Family Law

Real Estate

Consumer Law

Military Administrative


Army Forms and Regulation

Legal Assistance Services