There are many educational programs and opportunities available in Area IV. The University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC), Troy University (Troy U), and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University (ERAU) are the universities with offices across the Korean peninsula.  If you are looking to become an Army Officer, the Green to Gold Program might be an option for you.  Additionally, The Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Enlisted Commission Program provides eligible Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard or Activated Guard Reserve (AGR) Army Soldiers the opportunity to be part of the U.S. Army health care team.
Please see below for more details.

The Area IV Education Centers at both Camp Henry and Camp Carroll offer one local college to directly assist you with all of your education needs. In addition, courses not offered onsite can be accomplished through distance learning. Area IV Education Center Counselors will help you seek out peninsula-wide local colleges, such as Troy University and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University.

Eligibility requirements to be met to attend these local colleges involve being a member of the U.S. Armed Forces, American employees of the U.S. Government, and their family members residing within an overseas contracted site may enroll in classes. There may be university restrictions on the limited space available for some local students, so potential students should discuss policies with the local college admission requirements.

Below is the contact information for the local colleges available across the peninsula:

University of Maryland Global Campus Asia

Camp Henry Education Center, Bldg. S-1840, 763-4549, email:

Camp Carroll Education Center, Bldg. T-236, 763-4168, email:

Troy University

Osan Air Base Education Center, Bldg. 787, 784-8151, email:


Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Camp Humphreys Education Center, 755-3535, email:

Green to Gold.png

The Army Green to Gold Active Duty Option Program allows enlisted Soldiers to earn a degree and obtain officer commissioning in the Army. Soldiers enroll into a 2-year program to complete their baccalaureate degree or a two-year graduate degree and earn their commission.

Active duty enlisted Soldiers are eligible for this program. Eligibility requirements for the Army Green to Gold Program are:

1. U.S. Citizen (non-waiverable)

2. Age - Be under 30 years of age on the date of the projected graduation and commission. (waivers can be requested)

3. Cannot have been convicted of a Domestic Violence Crime

4. Have a minimum of 2 years Active Duty at the time of application as well as 3 months of Active Duty for every one month of specialized training (waiver can be requested)

5. GT score of 110 or greater

6. Pass the Army Physical Fitness Test within the last 6 months with score of 180 or higher, minimum of 60 points in each event

7. College Grade Point Average of 2.5

8. Letter of Acceptance to School of Choice offering Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)

9. Letter of Acceptance from the PMS of that Army ROTC Battalion

10. Favorable National Agency Check (or have initiated the action)

11. The Department of Defense Medical Examination Review Board (DODMERB) Medical Qualification

12. Be eligible to reenlist

13. Not be a conscientious objector

14. No more than 3 dependents including spouse(waiverable)

Area IV Guidance Counselors are available for assistance in understanding the program eligibility requirements. Guidance Counselors provide guidance with providing the U.S. Army Green to Gold Active Duty Option Program Information Booklet. The booklet provides detailed information about the program. It also has a checklist that explains what information is required, sample documents, and waiver request that can help to submit a complete packet.

Additional information website link:

AMEDD Program.jpg

The Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Enlisted Commission Program is the U.S. Army's healthcare organization (as opposed to an Army Command), and is present in the Active Army, the U.S. Army Reserve, and the Army National Guard components. AMEDD Enlisted Commission Program provides eligible Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard or Activated Guard Reserve (AGR)Army Soldiers the opportunity to complete a Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing(BSN) and receive a commission in the Active Duty component of the Army Nurse Corps (ANC).

The AMEDD Program is available to active duty enlisted Soldiers. In order to be placed on orders with Army Enlisted Commissioning Program (AECP), the service member requires a 72 month enlistment contract from the start date of school. Twenty-four months cover the participant while in school; 48 months covers the service obligation after graduating if the service member is unable to commission. If all requirements are met, the participant on commissioning will incur a 48 month active duty service obligation as an ANC Officer.

The AMEDD Program is fully funded which covers tuition costs and fees, limited at $15,000 per academic year. Additionally,participants receive $1,000 book allowance per academic year. Program acceptance will result in a full cost move (permanent change of station (PCS) to school of acceptance, if necessary.

Counselor provide assistance in understanding the AMEDD Enlisted Commission Program application process. Participants continue to receive full enlisted pay and allowances while participating in the program. Participation is limited to 24 consecutive months of enrollment, accelerated programs are not authorized. Participants that are in a promotable status and their promotion sequence number or cutoff score is reached may be promoted while in the AECP.

As a member of the Army Health Care Team, you work directly with other dedicated professionals from all six corps, which includes the Medical Corps, Medical Service Corps, Medical Specialist Corps,Dental Corps, Veterinary Corps and Nurse Corps, plus enlisted military and civilian employees, all comprising the Army Medical Department. The result is a very comprehensive and holistic approach to patient care.

Whether you choose the U.S. Army as your career or serve in the U.S. Army Reserve while maintaining your existing practice,you’ll enter as a commissioned Officer. The health care lifestyle will give you respect, responsibility and prestige that are afforded your rank.

So, where can you serve? What is officer training like in your discipline? Where can your career take you? There are many questions in which the Area IV Education Center Guidance Counselors can assist to learn what you can expect as a member of the U.S. Army health care team:

•As a physician with the U.S. Army or Army Reserve

•As a dentist with the U.S. Army or Army Reserve

•As a U.S. Army nurse

•As an occupational therapist, physical therapist, registered dietitian or physician assistant with the Medical Specialist Corps

•As a professional in the behavioral sciences,health services, laboratory sciences, optometry, pharmacy, podiatry and preventive medicine with the Medical Service Corps

•As a U.S. Army veterinarian

Link to information:



Area IV Guidance Counselors can assist you in understanding your opportunities under these programs and services. To receive services from your Area IV Guidance Counselors, contact the Area IV Camp Henry Education Center Counselor Support’s phone number at 763-4920 or the Camp Carroll Education Center Guidance Counselor’s phone number at 763-5405. Walk-ins are available from Monday to Friday, 0800-1700 (Closed on federal holidays, weekends, and every Thursday from 0800-1300 for staff training). Office locations are Camp Henry Education Center inside Bldg. S-1840 or Camp Carroll Education Center inside Bldg. T-236. Speak to a counselor and receive the information packet to begin your new medical career today.