On order, 108th ADA Brigade rapidly deploys worldwide to provide mission command of AMD operations to protect critical assets in support of the Joint Force Commander’s operational and strategic priorities.
About 108th ADA BDE
The 108th Air Defense Artillery Brigade traces its lineage from the 514th Coast Artillery Regiment (Antiaircraft), which was formed in October 1923 at Schenectady, N.Y.
In January 1943, it was reorganized as the 108th Coast Artillery Group (Antiaircraft). In May 1943, it was again reorganized, this time as the 108th Antiaircraft Artillery Group. During World War II, the group was deployed to France, landing at Utah Beach and participating in the European Theater of Operations. The 108th Antiaircraft Artillery Group provided defense of the city and harbor at Cherbourg and for 11 months, defended forward airfields and the French cities of Reims and Rouen.
World War II campaign participation includes Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, and Central Europe. The Group was inactivated in December 1945 in Germany. In September 1956, the Group was reactivated at Los Angeles, Calif., and in March 1958, redesignated the 108th Artillery Group (Air Defense). In April 1960, the group was inactivated at Fort McArthur, Calif.
In May 1967, the group was reactivated at Fort Riley, Kans., as the 108th Artillery Group and deployed to the Republic of Vietnam in October 1967.
The group participated in every major operation conducted in Northern I Corps from that time and received credit for participation in 11 different campaigns while in Vietnam. On 26 August, 1974, the group was reactivated at Kapun Barracks, Kaiserslautern, Federal Republic of Germany, as the 108th Air Defense Artillery Group, the only Chaparral/Vulcan Group in the U.S. Army. In September 1975, the group moved from Kapun Barracks to Kleber Kaserne.
On 1 October 1982, it was redesignated as the 108th Air Defense Artillery Brigade. On 15 April, 1992, the Brigade was moved to Fort Polk, La. On 15 August, 1996, the brigade was moved to Fort Bliss, Texas. After a short stay on Fort Bliss, in 2007, the brigade packed up all its Soldiers and equipment, and relocated to Fort Bragg, N.C.