Brig. Gen. Daniel Stewart.jpg

Brigadier General Daniel Stewart


Brig. Gen. Daniel Stewart: Born in Liberty County, Georgia, Daniel Stewart enlisted in the militia during the American Revolution. Captured by the British, Stewart escaped from a prison ship docked in Charleston Harbor. After the war, Stewart served as a state representative and county sheriff for Liberty County, where he assisted with resolving the Creek Indian wars in Georgia. While serving as state senator for Liberty County, Stewart was promoted to brigadier general in the Georgia Militia and commanded a cavalry brigade during the War of 1812. The announcement that Camp Stewart would be named after him was made in January 1941. It was renamed Fort Stewart when it became a permanent installation in 1956.

Maj. Gen. Frank O’D Hunter.jpg

Major General Frank O’D Hunter


Maj. Gen. Frank O’D Hunter: A native of Savannah, Georgia, Frank O’D “Monk” Hunter was a pioneer aviator in the formative years of Army Aviation. Serving in France during World War I, he was credited with shooting down eight German planes. During the interwar years, Stewart assisted with the development and testing of pursuit and fighter aircraft, flying virtually every aircraft in the Army Air Corps inventory. In 1940, Savannah Municipal Airport was renamed Hunter Airfield after him, the only instance of a military installation named after a living person. During World War II, Brig. Gen. Hunter served as commanding general of the Eighth Air Force Fighter Command that was instrumental in introducing the P-47 and P-51 fighter aircraft into the European theater. In 1943, newly promoted Maj. Gen. Hunter took command of the First Air Force at Mitchel Field, New York before retiring in 1946.

Maj. Gen. Joseph T. Dickman.jpg

Major General Joseph T. Dickman

Maj. Gen. Joseph T. Dickman: Dickman was commissioned in the 3d Cavalry Regiment upon graduation from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1881. After attending the U.S. Army Cavalry School, he saw combat during the Apache War in 1885, then participated in the Mexican border operations against the Garza revolutionists and outlaws. During the Spanish-American War, Capt. Dickman served on the staff of Gen. Joseph Wheeler in Cuba. In 1899, he once again saw combat during the Philippine Insurrection on the island of Panay. In November 1917, Maj. Gen. Dickman assumed command of the Third Division at Camp Greene, North Carolina, and led the division in combat at Château-Thierry, France. During the Second Battle of the Marne, his leadership ensured the division held the Marne River crossings against the German Summer Offensive and earned the division its distinguishing nickname, “Rock of the Marne.” He then commanded IV Corps during the St. Mihiel Offensive, I Corps during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, and was the first commanding general of Third Army during the Army of Occupation of Germany. Dickman retired from the U. S. Army in October 1921.

Col. Ulysses G. McAlexander(H1).jpg

Colonel Ulysses G. McAlexander

Col. Ulysses G. McAlexander: Ulysses G. McAlexander graduated from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1887 as a second lieutenant in the Infantry. McAlexander’s combat experience came first during the Spanish-American War and then during the Philippine Insurrection. After the U.S. entered World War I, he was ordered to France and commanded the 18th Infantry Regiment, First Division. In May 1918, McAlexander assumed command of the 38th Infantry Regiment, Third Division. During the German offensive of July 1918, the Second Battle of the Marne, German forces began crossing the Marne River in the early morning. The 38th IR bore the brunt of the initial and subsequent attacks from both flanks, fighting on three sides. The regiment endured heavy attacks and counterattacks from six German regiments for over 14 hours before being driven across the Marne. Both McAlexander and the 38th IR earned the enduring nom de guerre, “Rock of the Marne.” Maj. Gen. McAlexander retired from the U.S. Army after 37 years in July 1924.

Maj. Guy Ichabod Rowe.jpg

Major Guy Ichabod Rowe


Maj. Guy Ichabod Rowe: In May 1918, Rowe assumed command of 2d Battalion, 38th Infantry Regiment, Third Division. During the “Second Battle of the Marne,” Rowe led the regiment to adjust their position to cover their flanks and fight on three sides. The regiment endured heavy attacks and counterattacks from six German regiments for over 14 hours before driving them across the Marne. During World War II, Brig. Gen. Rowe first commanded the Quartermaster Replacement Training Center at Camp Lee, Virginia, and then became the commanding general at the Jeffersonville Quartermaster Depot in Indiana until his retirement from military service in 1947.


Capt. Jessie W. Woodridge1.jpg

Captain Jessie W. Woodridge


Capt. Jessie W. Woodridge: In August 1917, Jesse W. Wooldridge entered the U.S. Army at Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, and received a commission in the Third Division. Once in France, he assumed command of Company G, 38th Infantry Regiment, Third Division. It was during the “Second Battle of the Marne” that he distinguished himself and was instrumental in the Division earning the nom de guerre, “Rock of the Marne.” It was along the Marne River, east of Château-Thierry, that Company G defended a railway embankment against the German 5th and 6th Guard Regiments. Capt. Wooldridge led his company of 189 men in several counter-attacks against German forces five times their size, with only 51 men returning unhurt. His lead-from-the-front attitude resulted in his company killing, wounding or capturing approximately 1,000 German soldiers.


Gen. Lucian King Truscott Jr..jpg

General Lucian King Truscott Jr.

Gen. Lucian King Truscott Jr.: Lucian K. Truscott enlisted in the U.S. Army in 1917, and after completing officer training was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Cavalry. In April 1943, Maj. Gen. Truscott assumed command of the 3d Infantry Division and brought the division to a higher standard of training. The division became known for the "Truscott Trot," which was a marching pace of four miles per hour, even in mountainous terrain, faster than the two-and-half mile per hour standard. Under his leadership and high standards, the division accomplished the assault of Sicily and the amphibious assault of Anzio. Following the initial landing at Anzio, he assumed command of VI Corps, was appointed commander of newly formed Fifteenth Army, then Fifth Army, and lastly Third Army. Gen. Truscott held every leadership position from platoon to Army-level in a career that spanned 32 years before retiring in September 1947.

Helen Wyatt Snap.jpg

Helen Wyatt Snap


Helen Wyatt Snap: In January 1943, Helen was accepted in the Women’s Airforce Service Pilot (WASP) program. In late February, she started training at Sweetwater, Texas, and by the end of August, she was a member of the fourth graduating class. After graduation, she reported to Camp Davis, North Carolina, to receive training in target towing for anti-aircraft live fire. After her training, she was one of the first female pilots to serve at Liberty Field, Camp Stewart, until December 1944, when the WASPs were deactivated. During her two years in the WASP, she had flown over 1000 hours in various Army Air Corps and Navy aircraft.


Cpl. Hiroshi H. Miyamura.jpg

Corporal Hiroshi H. Miyamura


Cpl. Hiroshi H. Miyamura: Almost six months after arriving in Korea, Cpl. Miyamura was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions south of the Imjin River, near Taejon-ni. After an intense firefight, he became a prisoner of war for over two years. For the next 28 months, Hershey endured harsh treatment and malnutrition. He would be one of the last groups to be released on August 21, 1953. For his heroic actions against the enemy, Cpl. Miyamura was recommended for the Medal of Honor and once approved, it was classified as top secret since he was still a prisoner of war.

Pfc. Charles Johnson.jpg

Pfc. Charles Johnson


Pfc. Charles Johnson: Many casualties resulted from the bitter fighting at Outpost Harry, near Surang-ni, Korea, during the night and early morning of June 11 to 12, 1953. Serving as a Browning Automatic Rifleman assigned to Company B, 15th Infantry Regiment, 3d Infantry Division, Pfc. Johnson acted without regard to his personal safety against an overwhelming attack on his unit’s position. Ignoring his own injuries, he rendered aid to wounded soldiers and moved them into a bunker to protect them from further harm. He then positioned himself between the wounded and the enemy and exacted a grave toll on the attacking Chinese Communist forces. As he moved throughout the trench network atop Outpost Harry looking for additional survivors, he was killed in action while creating conditions for their rescue.

Capt. Maurice L. “Footsie” Britt.jpg

Captain Maurice L. “Footsie” Britt


Capt. Maurice L. “Footsie” Britt: While playing for the Detroit Lions, Capt. Britt was drafted in December 1941. He was assigned to Company L, 30th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division. On Oct. 29, 1943, First Lt. Britt received the Silver Star for his actions at Acerno, Italy. On January 24, 1944, two days after landing at Anzio, Capt. Britt received the Distinguished Service Cross for his heroic actions. Britt would also earn the Bronze Star with Valor. As the commander of Company L, he received the Medal of Honor and a battlefield promotion for his extraordinary actions against the enemy at Mignano, Italy. Britt lost his right arm from an enemy artillery shell on Feb. 12, 1944, and was the first Soldier to earn all of the military’s top awards in a single war.

2LT Audie L. Murphy.jpg

Second Lt. Audie L. Murphy

Second Lt. Audie L. Murphy: Murphy was assigned to 1st Battalion, 15th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Infantry Division and landed at Casablanca on February 20. After Operation Torch’s success, his first taste of combat came in Sicily where he proved a highly skilled Soldier and marksman. Throughout the war, Audie demonstrated extraordinary skill in surviving tough situations. Besides the Medal of Honor, he was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross, two Silver Stars, the Legion of Merit, two Bronze Stars (one for valor), three Purple Hearts, the French Legion of Honor and the Croix de Guerre (with silver star), and the Belgian Croix de Guerre (with palm). At war’s end, Murphy was considered the “most decorated Soldier of World War II.”