Active military, military dependents, DoD civilians, retired, retiree dependents and contractors with DoD ID cards may enter the installation by displaying their DoD issued ID card to the guard personal at the Access Control Points (ACPs) entering the installation. If you do not have your government ID card in your possession you must go any of the VWCs to get an installation access pass/badge.


Installation Access Passes – The Fort Hood VWCs issues passes to all non-DoD persons with a valid reason for entering the installation. All persons requesting a pass are required to undergo security vetting prior to receive a visitor pass.  Non-DoD persons 17 and under are not required to present photo ID unless operating a motor vehicle.  Non-DoD persons age 16 years and up operating a vehicle must present a valid driver’s license, valid vehicle registration, and valid proof of insurance for the vehicle they are operating.  Non-DoD passengers of adult age, riding in the non-DoD person’s vehicle are also required to undergo security vetting prior to receiving a passenger-only pass.  The VWC has begun issuing 90-day passes to help reduce customers’ frequency of visits to the VWC for pass renewals.


Commercial Vehicle Access Passes – All commercial vehicle traffic must enter the North Clarke Road Access Control Point for a vehicle inspection.  All vehicle occupants will be checked against the National Criminal Information Center database, prior to being issued a pass.  Guard personnel at the Clark Road ACP, can also issue visitor passes to commercial vehicles for up to 90 days. If the occupant(s) are already in possession of a valid pass, they will still require a vehicle inspection prior to entry.


Pass Denials – Individuals who do not pass the security vetting process IAW the regulatory required National Crime Information Center III check, will be issued a Fort Hood Access Denial Waiver Application to request access. Upon submitting a waiver application, the Senior Installation Commander will make a determination on whether to approve or deny installation access. Below is the Fort Hood Fitness Determination standards to gain access to post and Access Denial Waiver Packet.

Changes to Installation Access Procedures – As of September 2015, Fort Hood discontinued the use and issuance of the Department of Defense vehicle decals. The new procedures will not affect DoD personnel, Common Access Card holders, retirees, family members, government contractors, or those who already possess a valid pass from entering post in a non-commercial vehicle.  Individuals in possession of an authorized DoD ID card may access any access control point (ACPs) by simply presenting their ID to the gate guard at the entry point.


Real ID Act – Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission’s recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards.


As of 10 January 2016 State-issued driver’s licenses and ID cards from states not meeting the standards can no longer be used to access federal facilities including military installations without a second form of ID. The following states: Illinois, Missouri, New Mexico, Washington and the Territory of American Samoa do not comply with the Real ID Act and can no longer be used as the sole source for identity proofing for unescorted access to military installations and facilities. The Senior Commander has approved the following additional documents to be used in conjunction with “non-valid ID” to provide reasonable assurance of identify for installation access purposes.

•University, library, or school cards, containing a photograph, name and expiration date.

•Non-government photo identification with a person’s name and address

•Birth certificate or document with a person’s full name and date of birth

•Utility bill or other documentation showing the person’s name and address of principal residence.

•Vehicle registration with name and address

The name and address on the secondary form of identification must match the State-issued driver’s licenses or ID card.