Bavarian Decree / GO1H


I heard there is a new General Order. Is this true? If so, what does this mean?

Yes. On 28 April 2021, BG Norrie signed General Order #1H, which superseded General Order #1G. Annex A, which contains local restrictions on travel and social gatherings, was also amended.

These new rules are effective 3 May 2021.

It is important that all members of the 7ATC military community understand the regulatory environment during this period, as vaccines become more widely available. Vaccination rates vary across Europe, and in many cases, we are ahead of our Host Nations and neighboring nations. Many European countries will maintain restrictions on social gatherings and continue to impose quarantines on travelers arriving from outside.

Everyone has a duty to understand these rules and comply with them. Ultimately, it is your responsibility to know and follow Host Nation laws. Many members of our community have been penalized, often with fairly steep fines, for violating COVID protection laws.

Read the full order and annexation at the 7ATC Army Training Command homepage, HERE (under their COVID-19 subheader).

Are these new rules going to remain in effect for the future?

Not necessarily. First, we are counting on our community to demonstrate the respect, discipline, and professionalism they have shown so far. This is ultimately about protecting lives – both our own, and those of our partners and neighbors here in Germany. If we cannot strictly comply with Bavarian law and General Order #1, it is possible that restrictions will have to be re-imposed.

Second, the change to our posture is data- and science-driven. We are carefully monitoring the rate of infection spread (the “R-0 rate”) as well as the total number of cases, the availability of hospital care, and other measurements of the environment. If those trends indicate that infection rates are climbing, the only right thing to do is return to a more sheltered stance. This is the part that we don’t necessarily control.

IMPORTANT OFFICIAL TRAVEL CHART: What are the definitions of Isolation / Quarantine / Unit Directed ROM / Fully Vaccinated Individuals?

ROM is an umbrella term for any Restriction of Movement of an individual or group to prevent or diminish the transmission of a communicable disease.

Military personnel placed under ROM are permitted to go to/from work and attend medical appointments, shop for essential groceries, obtain mail, etc.

The below chart helps explain Official Travel COVID-19 ROM Definitions impacting USAG Bavaria community members. (If you cannot view the chart, please click this LINK).

* Note: This is not the chart for Leisure Travel. Please refer to USAG Bavaria's Coronavirus FAQ Page / Tab "Leisure Travel Guidance"

IMPORTANT OFFICIAL TRAVEL CHART: What is the ROM Policy for community members?

As of 24 June 2021, this chart depicts Restrictions of Movement in the 7ATC SRO. Only the Soldier/Civilian holding orders may be exempted from ROM if they are Fully Vaccinated. All other Family Members (regardless of vaccination status) must still conduct a ROM per host nation requirements.

“Fully Vaccinated” is defined by the Centers for Disease Control as those individuals that are more than 14-days removed from receiving either a single-dose COVID-19 vaccine (the Johnson & Johnson/Janssen vaccine), or the second dose in a two-dose COVID-19 vaccine series (the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccines). Those vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine or other vaccines that have not been approved by the CDC or the host nation are NOT considered Full Vaccinated.

The below chart helps explain Official Travel COVID-19 ROM guidelines impacting USAG Bavaria community members. (If you cannot view the chart, please click this LINK)

* Note: This is not the chart for Leisure Travel. Please refer to USAG Bavaria's Coronavirus FAQ Page / Tab "Leisure Travel Guidance"

Who is responsible for care of personnel in ROM / Quarantine / Isolation?

Support is a whole-of-command effort beginning with the individual’s chain of command. We recognize the difficulty this situation creates and want to lessen that challenge as best we can.

What is HPCON and when does it change?

HPCON stands for Health Protection Condition Levels. Installation commanders use the HPCON framework to select an appropriate response to a public health emergency or incident of public health concern. The framework clarifies uncertainty associated with these situations and provides options based on the scope and severity of the situation. The following is a brief description of each HPCON level.

  • Normal Operations. No known health risks, other than diseases endemic to the area surrounding the installation.
  • HPCON Alpha (A) – Limited Disease Threat. There is a limited threat to personnel based on the existence of a disease or unusual human health threat that has the potential to rapidly move into the local area (i.e., an area defined by each installation as consisting of a predetermined distance or a list/map depicting by-name counties surrounding the installation).
  • HPCON Bravo (B) – Moderate Disease Threat. There is a moderate disease threat and/or a real risk of exposure to personnel due to a significant outbreak of disease in the local area or imminent spread of disease to the local area. HPCON B would be employed by the commander if notified by the PHEO that there has been an initial case identification of a contagious disease, such as a novel influenza, or a dramatic increase in the risk of acquiring a new significant disease from the environment within the local area.
  • HPCON Charlie (C) – Substantial Disease Threat. There is a substantial threat of disease for personnel due to a local epidemic outbreak of a disease with a high morbidity rate, imminent spread of such a disease to the local area, and/or a wide area of contamination that requires special or costly avoidanceprocedures.
  • HPCON Delta (D) – Severe Disease Threat. A local epidemic with a high mortality rate or imminent spread of such a disease to the local area will drive enactment of HPCON D.

Is a person with a SOFA stamp considered a permanent resident? (This refers to dependents who are currently out of the country and want to return to their duty station).

Community members in possession of a SOFA stamp will not be denied entry into Germany. They should also carry a copy of their sponsor’s orders that lists them by name as a command-sponsored dependent. However, as commercial carriers continue to limit travel in response to COVID-19, persons desiring to return to Germany should act as soon as possible before travel is no longer available. It is also always a good idea to carry a copy of your orders when traveling to and from Germany as it further solidifies your status within the Host Nation.

Where can I find current COVID-19 infection density numbers for our local (off-post) communities?

Make sure you are signed up for the DoD Alert! Mass Notification System. 7th Army Training Command issues a Daily COVID Assessment e-mail that is distributed to everyone with a registered account. (Friendly Reminder: Alert! is NOT optional — it is a Headquarters Department of the Army requirement to be a registered user).

Alert! Notification Registration Steps:

Why are Rose and Tower Barracks following the same mitigation, when they are located in different counties?

Both Rose Barracks (Vilseck) and Tower Barracks (Grafenwoehr) will be following the same COVID-19 mitigation and safety measures, because these installations are tightly intertwined. Out of an abundance of caution, the county with the highest case numbers will determine the mitigation measures for both posts.

Do we still have to avoid socializing and gathering?

Here in Bavaria, social gatherings remain severelyrestricted.

On U.S. installations, where the combination of accesscontrols, testing and tracing capabilities, and widespread vaccine availabilityhas reduced risk, we have authorized small social gatherings. These limits arein excess of what is allowed by Bavaria off post, and it is important that yoube conscious of that fact.

Annex A will be periodically modified to clearly explainthe gathering limits on post, and the latest version can always be found

Many people mistakenly believe that Netzaberg housing is“on post.” It is not! In all housing areas outside the gates of ourinstallations, Host Nation restrictions on social gatherings continue to apply.

Generally speaking,as the weather continues to improve, we continue to recommend you spend as muchtime as possible outside. This includes at authorized social gatherings on ourinstallations. The risk of infection is dramatically reduced when we areoutside, but you’re still required to maintain physical distance, wear masks inaccordance with host nation and 7ATC policies, and practice additional hygienemeasures.

We know this has been hard. We are social creatures and it is not in our nature to be alone. But everything we know about the virus suggests that the single best thing we can do to defeat it is to minimize physical proximity to others. Each person infected can spread it to many others, even without ever knowing that they had it. So by keeping physical contact to a minimum, we can more quickly trace who else might have been exposed so they can be monitored and we can protect the wider community.

There are concerns regarding physical distancing and mitigation measures. What are the enforcement measures?

All community members are expected to adhere to social distancing rules. Regarding enforcement, screening teams will be asking individuals to maintain social distancing rules. Compliance is expected, and non-compliance may result in ejection, restriction, or bar from Garrison facilities or punishment under UCMJ. The challenges posed by COVID-19 are new and we are taking strides to adjust in response.

Commanders at all levels are doing their best to accomplish mission essential tasks while taking into account the threat from the Novel Coronavirus. Each Army formation has its own unique requirements and personnel assets; leaders are regularly making assessments on how to continue operations while mitigating the risk of COVID-19. Within the constraints imposed by the COVID-19 response measures, we do still have missions to accomplish. If someone is concerned about the safety of a particular practice they should not hesitate to raise the issue directly with the chain of command.

My Unit is hosting a Hail and Farewell at the Wild B.O.A.R. Isn’t this illegal?

No. While physical gatherings are restricted, we have long recognized that certain morale and unit cohesion events are an integral part of our military tradition and play important roles in maintaining espirit d’ corps and networks of mutual support. These things are so essential to Army life, especially overseas.

Therefore, these kinds of unit-approved events are authorized, provided the unit follows established Garrison processes. The events are developed with COVID protections in mind, and the concepts are reviewed by our Garrison Risk Mitigation Council, including Public Health experts.

If a family member, DoD civilian, contractor or HN employee abides by the quarantine and remains at their residence and misses work, will he or she be entitled to any financial compensation?

The days of mandated ROM / quarantine will not count towards service member or civilian leave. Financial compensation will be determined on a case-by-case basis, working closely with the individual’s chain of command.

Treatment and Response


What are the symptoms of possible COVID-19 infection?

Typical symptoms for COVID-19 can include, but are not limited to: atemperature at or above 100° Fahrenheit, night sweats or chills, a persistentcough, shortness of breath, loss of taste or smell, and/or a sore throat.

What should I do if I think I have coronavirus?

Regional Health Command Europe asks community members to adhere to the following guidance:

  1. Do not go to work or send your child to school/daycare.
  2. Please contact your health care provider before visiting a medical treatment facility. TRICARE beneficiaries should call the Nurse Advice Line at one of the following toll-free numbers based on your location:

As always, if you are experiencing respiratory distress, or believe you have a life threatening condition, please call emergency services or report to the closest emergency room.

What are the different COVID-19 Risk Categories?

There are three risk categories:

  • High-risk: Activities where safe physical distancing is not possible or difficult to enforce and/or the nature of the activity requires person-to-person contact for extended periods, such as fitness centers, child development centers and playgrounds.
  • Medium-risk: Activities that normally require person-to-person contact for extended periods, but that can be modified through controls that limit frequency, intensity and time of possible exposure, such as passport and ID card services, veterinarian services and barber and beauty shops.
  • Low-risk: Activities where physical contact is not required and/or transmission through incidental contact is unlikely give the implementation of protocols that ensure physical distancing, sanitation and protective barriers, such as post exchanges and commissaries, postal and bank operations, golf courses and car care centers.

What is considered “close contact,” and what should I do if I’ve come into close contact with a COVID-19 positive individual?

A contact event is generally described as:

  1. Being within six feet of aCOVID-19 positive individual for a cumulative period of 15 minutes or more in a24 hour period.
  2. Being in an enclosed area or workspace (i.e., an office)with a COVID-19 positive individual for 10 minutes or more.
  3. Contact with respiratory or bodily fluid (i.e., coughed or sneezed on, cared for at home, etc.) from a COVID-19 positive individual.

If you have been in close contact with someone who is COVID-19 positive, contact your health care provider as explained above and follow the ROM Policy chart instructions (above) to see what further steps you must take.

What happens after someone gets their COVID-19 test results back?

Please review the tab "Bavarian Decree / General Order." A ROM Policy chart is posted there.

What should an individual do if they are directed to quarantine?

Individuals instructed to quarantine must:

  • Stay within their home, or quarters, and monitor their health for signs of respiratory illness (cough, sore throat, shortness of breath, or fever exceeding 100 F).
  • Do not travel, visit public/crowded areas, or use public transportation.
  • Ifl iving with family members or roommates, maintain separate living space to the greatest extent possible. While this does not preclude all personal contact, limit proximity to at least 6 feet as much as possible.
  • Increase hand washing frequency, particularly before and after personal interactions.
  • Open windows to increase air flow.
  • Use separate sleeping arrangements and hygiene areas when possible.
  • Do not prepare food for non-restricted individuals.
  • Sanitize shared spaces after utilization.

What if one person in a family is identified as having had “close contact” with a COVID-19 positive person, what does that mean for the rest of their family?

Close contacts of someone who is COVID-19 positive are placed in quarantine for 14 days from date of exposure. The close contact should separate from the rest of the family. As long as that individual doesn't develop symptoms, then family members are not categorized or restricted. Family members should maintain separate living space to the greatest extent possible. While this does not preclude all personal contact, limit proximity to at least6 feet as much as possible. If the close contact begins to develop symptoms, then he/she should also be placed in quarantine.

Who can get tested and how?

The guidance is the same for all of Army Medical Treatment Facilities here in Europe. Our MTFs screen patients in accordance with Department of Defense and The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines. Initial entry screening at every MTF will consist of a questionnaire to determine if you have a fever or symptoms. Testing is based on four priorities:

  1. A person who exhibits symptoms that include, but are not limited to as temperature of 100.4° F or higher, night sweats or chills, persistent cough and shortness of breath
  2. A person that has been identified by a tracer team as having been in close contact with a person that is COVID-19 positive
  3. A person who is in an identified "high risk" work area as defined by having two or more COVID-19 positive cases within the same workspace or workgroup
  4. Other people identified by the Senior Responsible Officer as being at risk

These protocols will help your healthcare provider determine whether or not you need to be tested for COVID-19.

One important thing to remember is that our providers don't treat COVID-19. They treat its symptoms. So whether or not you have a positive test will not change the treatment you receive; it just allows us to track where and how the virus is spreading, and isolate people who have been infected. Our providers are taking all appropriate action to ensure the safety of our beneficiaries.

Note for Tricare beneficiaries: Off-post testing is only reimbursable if required by an off-post provider as part of an evaluation and treatment plan.

  • Everyone should observe strict quarantine protocol (see details below) while waiting to test or receive results. Results for Service Members, Civilian employees, and contractors should be available the following day, and those of family members within the next 48-72 hours.
  • New arrivals (PCS or TDY) and any community members returning from travel to the United States (official or non-official) or other locations via commercial air must undergo testing and quarantine once on the ground. Visit the PCS FAQ (COVID-19 Edition) webpage for more information.
  • If you are not contacted by the clinic due to a positive test and you are not symptomatic, there is no medical clearance required to exit quarantine after 14 days.

Supportfor quarantining families is available, whether from the unit sponsor, thevolunteer shopper program, or a combination.

Who pays for COVID tests? Can I be reimbursed for a COVID test?

Service Members, Department of the Army Civilians, and their family members (on orders) may be reimbursed for the cost of the COVID-19 test if it is mandated by law for official travel to or from OCONUS locations and is not available through a Federal dispensary. The cost of the COVID-19 test may be reimbursable.

The cost of the office visit, mileage, parking, and any other fees associated are not reimbursable.

Read the memorandum: Testing and Reimbursement in Accordance with Official Travel To or From OCONUS Locations for more information.

Are diagnose COVID-19 testing being conducted at USAG Bavaria?

Yes. COVID-19 testing is being conducted in coordination with the host nation hospitals and Landstuhl Regional Medical Center (LRMC).Test samples are sent to LRMC.

Are antibody COVID-19 testing being conducted at USAG Bavaria?

Yes. USAG Bavaria on-post clinics provide antibody testing for COVID-19. Please give your local clinic a call. An operator will ask a series of questions to determine if you qualify for an appointment with Acute Respiratory Care (ARC).

What are the different types of COVID-19 tests?

  • Primarytesting: For people that are either symptomatic, identified as close contacts,official travel, or require it a medical procedure. While we will alwayscontact patients that have positive results, Primary Testing results (positiveand negative) are retrievable through TRICARE online (TOL). If you need negative resultsfor your Soldiers, then they will need to get them from TOL.
  • Pooled/Aggregate/Batch/SurveillanceTesting: Testing a targeted population by dividing the population into relatedgroups (cohorts) for analysis of potential infectious disease samples todetermine the prevalence of an infectious disease in the targeted population (FRAGORD 10 HQDA 210-20)
  • Sentinel Surveillance Testing: Population level testing strategy that provides dataabout the prevalence of disease in a population through random sampling ofasymptomatic individuals within a unit or installation.
  • Clinical Testing/Diagnostic Testing: Clinically indicated testing of individuals whoare symptomatic or thought to be at increased risk of COVID-19 infection, due toknown contact. Diagnostic testing is done at the direction of a health careprovider and conducted at a Military Treatment Facility (MTF) or Host Nationhealth care facility.

I took a COVID-19 test on post, how do I get the results?

Retrievetest result through Tricare Online – ALL Active Duty, Family Members, GSCivilians and Contractors can register for a Tricare Online Account even if youdo not have Tricare insurance.

  • Goto
  • Click "Login" in the upper right corner to get to the portal
  • Select: "Need an account?"
  • Select: "I am one of the following…."
  • Fillin required information.
  • Completetoken authentication
  • Onceyou have an account, select Login
  • Oncelogged in, click on Health Record
  • Selectthe Laboratory Results Tab from the column on the left side of the page.

How long does it take to get COVID-19 test results?

Due to the volume of COVID-19 tests being conducted at LRMC and the time required to process results, test result notification could take up to four days. You can help us ensure the timely delivery of your test results by making sure we have a current email address and telephone number where we can reach you.

If you have not been contacted within four days, you can also get your results by emailing the LRMC Public Health Nursing team at: Please do not call the laboratory at LRMC. You can also access your lab results on the Patient Portal at

We appreciate your patience and we are doing all we can to provide results as quickly as possible.

What should non-TRICARE civilians do regarding COVID-19 testing?

Non-TRICARE civilians should contact their primary care provider regarding COVID-19 testing. Non-TRICARE civilians can also utilize German coronavirus service. Dial 116117. NOTE: The 116117 Call Center only speaks German to callers.

What is the treatment for COVID-19?

There are no licensed treatments for COVID-19. USAMRDC is exploring antiviral drugs under emergency Investigational New Drug (IND) or Expanded Access Protocol to treat COVID-19. USAMRDC is exploring – with the Joint Program Executive Office for Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear Defense (JPEO-CBRND) and Gilead Sciences, Inc. – an expanded use of a drug called Remdesivir that has demonstrated activity against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome-related coronavirus (MERS-CoV). This drug was tested in the Democratic Republic of Congo to treat Ebola virus alongside three other therapeutics.

For on-post COVID-19 vaccination information, please review the tab "COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance."

How should we disinfect our clothes and shoes before entering our homes?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has guidance and recommendations on disinfecting and cleaning HERE.

Are pets affected by COVID-19?

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. Some coronaviruses cause cold-like illnesses in people, while others cause illness in certain types of animals. For more information, click HERE.

Medical Facilities


How are Army health professionals supporting COVID-19 efforts in Europe?

U.S. Army Europe health professionals are actively coordinating with appropriate authorities. We are monitoring the situation to mitigate the risk to the force in accordance with the latest guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, and U.S. European Command Headquarters (EUCOM).

We will continue to work closely with our host nations in Europe to ensure our policies align with local and national response plans, and will distribute information to DOD personnel and partners throughout the European theater as it becomes available. As always, the health and safety of our Soldiers and family members are our primary concerns.

Are COVID-19 Screening Clinics still open, and what is the current testing criteria?

Yes,all Army COVID-19 Screening Clinics continue to operate. Regional HealthCommand-Europe is providing up-to-date status information on their website at

Testinghas been expanded to those patients who display two or more of the followingsymptoms: fever over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, cough, difficulty breathing,chills, muscle pain/aches, headache, sore throat, new loss of taste or smell,and contact with a confirmed COVID positive case.

Are Army Medical Treatment Facilities in Europe seeing patients?

As the number of COVID-19 cases in Europe continues to grow, we have had to make some adjustments within our medical treatment facilities. Effective immediately, priority will be given to acute and emergent care and COVID-19 screening. We will also be prioritizing Preventive Health Assessments based on need. We remain committed to maintaining the health and readiness of our beneficiaries, but these changes could impact some routine appointments. Patients with appointments to address routine complaints of several weeks-months duration may be asked to adjust the timing of their appointments. If that happens, they will be contacted in advance by your Primary Care Team.

In an effort to minimize exposure risk and spread of COVID-19, we are also limiting points of entry to our clinics and we will be screening for COVID-19 risk indicators. Please fully cooperate with the clinic staff conducting the screenings and checkups. They are doing this to protect all Soldiers, family members and staff from the spread of infection.

We apologize for any inconvenience and will do our best to maximize access to care. If you have questions or need more information, please contact your primary care provider.

Regional Health Command-Europe is providing up-to-date statusinformation on their website at

Are Army Dental Clinics in Europe seeing patients?

Army Dental Clinics in Europe are only seeing emergency or urgent dental cases at the moment and have temporarily suspended all routine or elective appointments. Routine, or elective, appointments are those that do not require immediate or urgent care and can be postponed until risk of transmission of COVID-19 is lower. Elective care includes; routine cleanings, fillings or restorative work, including pediatric and orthodontic care. Patients with routine appointments will be notified of appointment cancellations and provided information on when and how to reschedule.

Regional Health Command-Europe is providing up-to-date statusinformation on their website at

Are Physical Therapy appointments still available at the health clinics?



Physical therapy services at Hohenfels are only ACUTE (post-operation) care at this time.

If the bases in the Kaiserslautern Military Community area shut down, would that mean Army Health Clinics and LRMC would be closed too? If yes, how would medical care work (with referrals and billing)?

LRMCwill remain open in the event of a base shutdown and will conduct screening formembers of the military community. Wait times may vary depending on patientload. Regional Health Command-Europe is providing up-to-date status informationon their website at

Which local hospitals have English-speaking staff?

All German medical facilities that see TRICARE patients speak English. These include St. Marien Klinikum (Amberg), Klinikum Weiden (Weiden), St. Anna Krankenhaus (Sulzbach-Rosenburg) and University Regensburg Hospital(Regensburg). If you experience coronavirus symptoms, do NOT immediately go to your healthcare provider. Instead, self-isolate and THEN contact your healthcare provider. TRICARE beneficiaries should call the Nurse Advice Line at 0800-071-3516. Non-TRICARE beneficiaries should contact their primary care provider for advice.

How will Soldiers know if their military pharmacy is open?

Soldiers should call their Military Medical Treatment Facility (MTF) pharmacy refill line to check for changes to service offerings, closures, and resumption of services. This will be your primary information source for military pharmacy operations during this time. The refill line phone number is usually printed on any prescription bottle with refill authorization. You can look up your pharmacy’s number via Your local public affairs office may also engage local tactics to keep beneficiaries informed.

What should Soldier’s do if their military pharmacy is closed due to COVID-19?

If your pharmacy has a partial or full closure, they will ensure they have staff available to assist in transferring your prescription to mail order or a retail network pharmacy of your choice. There are several actions you can take if your military pharmacy is closed due to COVID-19:

• Call your Military Medical Treatment Facility (MTF) pharmacy refill line to check for changes to service offerings, closures, and resumption of services: You can look up your pharmacy’s number via

• Call Express Scripts at 877-363-1303 to speak with a pharmacist 24/7.

• Switch your prescription to TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery by calling Express Scripts at 877-363-1303 or visiting

• Find a retail network pharmacy via Call your retail network pharmacy and ask them to call your MTF to transfer your medication or your provider for a new prescription.

• If you don't have any refills remaining, call your provider to send a new prescription to either the Express Scripts TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery or your network pharmacy.

Is it possible to get routine pharmacy refills without having to be seen?

Visit TRICARE Online. Click on RX Refill for pharmacy refill requests. Ensure you sign up for secure messaging.

I am pregnant, and the hospital where I plan to give birth is far from my home. Do I need any special permissions to travel to the hospital when I give birth?

Traveling to the hospital is considered an essential task and is authorized. For military personnel who are pregnant, advance approval from your battalion commander should be obtained in writing for this specified purpose.

Face Covering Guidance


What mask guidance do I follow on-post?

[Please refer to this USAREUR-AF Chart].

On Sept. 1, 2021, the 7th Army Training Command issued an updated Mask Policy for wear of masks on the installation, as well as an updated Tab 1 & 2 that helps explain the latest changes in Bavarian law.

The updated mask policy reflects directives from the Secretary of Defense applicable across all U.S. military installations, and reiterates the requirement for our community members to know and adhere to host nation ordinances.

View the 7ATC Mask Policy, here.


OFF THE INSTALLATION, all must continue to comply with Host Nation rules.

What mask guidance do I follow off-post?

OFF-POST GUIDANCE: Effective Sept. 2, 2021, personnel (age 15 and up) are required to wear a medical grade mask off the installation — in all Bavarian retail outlets, medical facilities and while using public transportation. All other types of Bavarian establishments still require that masks be worn by all personnel (age 6 and up).

These rules are applicable regardless of vaccination status.

What masks are authorized/unauthorized on-post?

Authorized face coverings recommended by the CDC include: non-medical disposable masks, masks made with breathable fabric (such as cotton), masks made with tightly woven fabric (i.e. fabrics that do not let light pass through when held up to a light source), masks with two or three layers, and masks with inner filter pockets.

Unauthorized face coverings include: Balaclavas, neck gaiter, masks with valves, plastic shields and plastic masks.

Service members will not to use any leftover uniforms for face coverings due to permethrin and/or wrinkle free coatings embedded in the OCP fabric.

Does my child need to wear a face covering?

Children 6 years and older are required to wear a face-covering while using public transportation or inside any establishment in Bavaria. This also applies on-post.

Are there exceptions to wearing face coverings?

Please see the dropdown question / answer concerning Fully Vaccinated community members.

Cloth face coverings are not required in domiciles, when traveling in personally-owned vehicles (POVs), or when conducting physical training (provided six feet of distance is maintained).

Additionally, in accordance with Bavarian Ordinance, Children in Bavaria that are 5 years of age and under are not required to wear a face-covering. The CDC recommends anyone who has trouble breathing, is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the cover without assistance should not wear a face-covering.

Further exceptions may be approved on a case by case basis and subject to local conditions, by O-5 commanders or O-6 supervisors.

Will the U.S. Army supply me with a face covering?

No. At this time, the U.S. Army will not supply face coverings. It is possible that in the future face coverings may be provided to military personnel and/or civilian employees based on a variety of circumstances. However, no official guidance has been given concerning if or when that could happen.

​Should cloth face coverings be washed or otherwise cleaned regularly?

According to the CDC guidelines, face coverings should be routinely washed depending on the frequency of use. A washing machine using hot water should suffice in properly washing a face covering.

Medical-grade FFP2 Questions

Bavaria State no longer requires that FFP2 masks be worn on public transportation and in retail stores throughout Bavaria (off-post), effective Sept. 2, 2021.

The FAQ in this specific dropdown menu are no longer applicable.

  • Q: Are community members required to wear FFP2 masks on-post?
    A: No. This ordinance is only for those who use public transportation or shop OFF-post. (One exception: Barber / Salons located on-post as they must follow the Bavarian Ordinance).
  • Q: Do children need to wear FFP2 masks off-post (in Bavaria's designated areas)?
    A: Children under 15-years-old are not required to use this mask.
  • Q: Will the U.S. Army supply Soldiers with these FFP2 masks?
    A: No. Community members still have the option of using on-post shuttles and retail stores without FFP2 masks.
  • Q: Where can I purchase FFP2 masks off-post?
    A: FFP2 masks can be found at Apothecaries and possibly other stores off-post.
  • Q: Where can I purchase FFP2 masks on-post?
    A: AAFES is working to obtain the FFP2 variants to make available for purchase in garrison facilities, but it will take some time.
  • Q: Are other equivalent medical-grade masks (like N-95 / KN-95) acceptable to use?
    A: Yes. Please do your research and ensure your medical grade mask is not counterfeit.
  • Q: Do children need to wear FFP2 masks while waiting at bus stops and riding DoDEA school vehicles?
    A: No. Children are permitted to wear cloth masks. For more information, please read this document by DoDEA Europe East.

Where can I find out more information about face coverings?

For the CDC guidelines on face coverings, click HERE. Soldiers, DOD civilian employees and contractors should also contact their chain of command or supervisors with questions.

Military Personnel


Why am I still training or performing my military duties?

We won’t get a second chance at being ready, when and if our nation calls.

Readiness isn’t just sending Soldiers to the Baltics for an exercise or combat. It’s rapidly responding to this crisis and implementing measures here.

We can’t stop training, we cannot afford to. Our number one priority remains readiness, balanced with protecting our force & families. We’ve reduced and modified our training wherever we can.

To the greatest extent possible, we are teleworking. But you can’t telework every job in our Army.

Physical fitness is important. It’s even more important to be in good physical condition during this pandemic.


Why haven’t all military members been told to stay home instead of coming in for duty?

The military must still perform all essential missions, but military commanders have been given guidance to apply leave and liberty policies liberally to the maximum extent while continuing to ensure they can fulfill these missions. Military commanders have broad authority to assign members to alternate places of duty, such as a member’s residence or government quarters, which could include allowing members to care for family members. Military commanders can also authorize members to perform duties remotely if possible.

Is telework an option for military members?

Yes, telework-ready military members, who can perform appropriate military duties remotely, may be assigned to an alternate duty location in their residence or government quarters. Military commanders will determine those members who can work remotely and assign appropriate duties. Not every military member is able to telework, and it is up to the discretion of each commander to determine how to effectively utilize telework. You should check with chain of command for specific guidance on who is authorized to telework and who must report for duty at the primary duty location.

I am unable to telework from home. What do I do if I am potentially exposed to COVID-19 and need to stay home?

Members who are sick should notify the chain of command and seek medical attention, as appropriate. The commander will make a decision whether or not to order you into restriction of movement for self-monitoring. An inability to perform traditional “telework” is not a barrier to complying with restriction of movement orders. Your commander has authority to assign you to an alternate place of duty, which could include your residence, during a period you are ordered to restriction of movement for self-monitoring.

I am unable to report to duty with my unit because my wife has tested positive for COVID-19, and I was told to stay home. Will I be given leave to care for her?

You should discuss this issue with your chain of command, who may be able to provide you with options based upon your specific circumstances. Potential options you may wish to discuss with them include: leave, designation of an alternate place of duty, and telework.

Are you relaxing grooming standards for Soldiers in an attempt to slow the spread of the virus?

Social distancing and proper hygiene are the best defense against the spread of the virus. Many have concerns over maintaining proper grooming standards while adhering to these defenses. U.S. Army Europe understand the critical need to balance standards with safety. To that end, Soldiers are instructed to first understand the regulation on grooming standards. Second, do your best to stay within that standard without putting yourself or others at further risk of contagion. We are not relaxing our standards, we simply acknowledge that the environment is different today than it was a month ago. Our first priority is the safety of our people - that requires vigilance and servant leadership.

Official Travel Guidance


What is the ROM Policy regarding Official Travel?

Please review the tab "Bavarian Decree / General Order." Two ROM Policy charts (specifically for Official Travel) are posted there.

If I’m a Soldier affected by the restrictions and I have questions, who can help?

If you're a Soldier affected by the DOD's guidelines concerning Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves to or from countries designated as Alert Level 2 or 3 due to coronavirus, first consult with your chain of command or supervisor if you have questions or concerns.

Additionally, you can call the U.S. Army's 24-hour hotline (1-800-582-5552), option 5, for guidance.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has designated Germany an Alert Level 3 country. The CDC's complete list of Alert Level 3 countries is HERE.

What's the latest Army guidance for Soldiers filing PCS and TDY claims?

Find ALARACT 029/2020 on Army guidance for filing a permanent change of station (PCS) and temporary duty (TDY) travel claim for Soldiers impacted by the coronavirus (COVID-19) and military pay and allowances flowchart (CAC required). This message provides procedural guidance for filing permanent change of station (PCS) or temporary duty (TDY) travel claims when Soldiers’ and/or dependents’ travel are impacted by the coronavirus. Due to the outbreak and stop movement travel restrictions, Soldiers and family members may experience delays and travel hardships. More at

Who can approve an Exception To Policy for movement?

Exceptions may be granted for the following compelling cases: If the travel is determined to be mission-essential, necessary for humanitarian reasons, or warranted due to extreme hardship. Approval authority for these exceptions belongs to the combatant commander if the individual is assigned to a combatant command. The Secretary of the Army retains the authority for all other individuals. This authority may be delegated no lower than the first general officer or member of the Senior Executive Service in the traveler's chain of command or supervision. These exceptions are to be done on a case-by-case basis, shall be limited in number, and shall be coordinated between the gaining and losing organizations.

BLUF: Talk to your chain of command or supervisor for the most current guidance, directives and process.

When an ETP is required to PCS, why are some command teams experiencing processing delays?

The Garrison does not play a role in the ETP process. That process begins with the Soldier's unit requesting an ETP to be approved and coordinated through either 7th ATC or 21st TSC, depending on the unit of assignment.

What tends to cause delays in the process is that coordination has to be conducted with the gaining unit as well. Some installations are very timely in their responses, and some — unfortunately — are not.

If a Soldier is on assignment to a restricted location, or plans to take PCS leave to a restricted location en-route to their next duty station, we recommend that they initiate the ETP process well in advance of their planned departure.

For those who received exceptions to policy to travel from Europe to the US, (and vice versa) will the military provide dedicated transportation?

Yes. A contracted flight, dubbed the Patriot Express, is available for those Soldiers, civilians and their families who have received approval to travel. Travel is on a space available basis and those wishing to travel must present an approved exception to policy. Expected type of travel are students returning from school and other government-funded travel.

Who can approve TDY to CONUS for special circumstances?

Exceptions may be granted for the following compelling cases: If the travel is determined to be mission-essential, necessary for humanitarian reasons, or warranted due to extreme hardship. Approval authority for these exceptions belongs to the combatant commander if the individual is assigned to a combatant command. The Secretary of the Army retains the authority for all other individuals. This authority may be delegated no lower than the first general officer or member of the Senior Executive Service in the traveler's chain of command or supervision. These exceptions are to be done on a case-by-case basis, shall be limited in number, and shall be coordinated between the gaining and losing organizations.

BLUF: Talk to your chain of command or supervisor for the most current guidance, directives and process.

Can local commanders ban service members from traveling?

Exceptions may be granted for the following compelling cases: If the travel is determined to be mission-essential, necessary for humanitarian reasons, or warranted due to extreme hardship. Approval authority for these exceptions belongs to the combatant commander if the individual is assigned to a combatant command. The Secretary of the Army retains the authority for all other individuals. This authority may be delegated no lower than the first general officer or member of the Senior Executive Service in the traveler's chain of command or supervision. These exceptions are to be done on a case-by-case basis, shall be limited in number, and shall be coordinated between the gaining and losing organizations.

What is the guidance for personnel who have already shipped household goods and were about to leave?

Exceptions to policy can be authorized on a case-by-case basis. Soldiers and civilians whose household goods have already been shipped to their next duty can request an exception under the hardship criteria.

If my dependent is not authorized concurrent travel on my PCS orders to my new duty station because of the travel restrictions, am I eligible to receive a second basic allowance for housing allowance?

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at the new duty station and Family Separation Housing Allowance (FSH) will be authorized if ALL of the following conditions are met:
1) Government quarters are not available at the new duty station,
2) The member has obtained private-sector housing, and
3) The dependent does not reside at or near the new permanent duty station.

You will continue to receive Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) at the “with-dependent” rate for your dependent’s location or the old permanent duty station (whichever is more equitable). Additionally, FSH will be paid in a monthly amount equal to the “without-dependent” BAH rate applicable to your paygrade for the new permanent duty station.

I have a SOFA stamp for Germany, and I am currently out of the country. Will I be allowed to enter the country?

Community members in possession of a SOFA stamp will not be denied entry into Germany. They should also carry a copy of their sponsor’s orders that lists them by name as a command-sponsored dependent. However, as commercial carriers continue to limit travel in response to COVID-19, persons desiring to return to Germany should act as soon as possible before travel is no longer available. It is also always a good idea to carry a copy of your orders when traveling to and from Germany as it further solidifies your status within the host nation.

Is RAT Travel still approved?

Per Defense Civilian Personnel Advisory Service (DCPAS) advisory message dated 21 April 2020, "The Federal Travel Regulations govern the rules for RAT. The FTR (promulgated by GSA) does not provide for any exceptions, and GSA informed that it has no plans to issue a bulletin to change that."

As a garrison, we do not have control over RAT travel policy. Here is the official website ( and DCPAS Message (DCPAS Message 2020041 - Correction to DCPAS QAs for COVID-19, 21 April 20) that we are citing. Please refer to Q5 & A5.

Will foreign military students be able to conduct exchanges and visits?

Effective immediately, foreign military students from countries with a CDC Alert Level 2 and above for COVID-19 will not participate in U.S. scheduled exercises, exchanges or visits.

Leisure Travel Guidance


Are there travel planning tools I should use? / How do I re-enter Germany?

Yes! There are three websites that are very important for travelers based here in Bavaria.

  1. Even before you enter the country, you must complete a Digital Entry Registration Form if you have stayed in a risk area within the 10 days prior to entry. On the website, you enter the information about your stays in the last 10 days. After you have provided all the necessary information, you will receive a PDF file as confirmation. As a rule, your carrier will check whether you can present that confirmation before departure. If you are unable to do so, you will not be allowed to travel. More information is available at the German Federal Ministry of Health Website.
  2. Reopen Europa is available at and can be downloaded as an App in both the Google Play and Apple App Stores. This website contains loads of information about national travel restrictions, services available, mask and hygiene rules, and other things necessary to plan a proper vacation. This is your single best resource for understanding the conditions and restrictions in the area to which you will travel.
  3. Because you will be returning here to Bavaria, you must also check the RKI "Risk List." Germany categorizes countries in three different ways. Returning to Germany from any country listed as a “risk area,” a “high incidence area,” or a “variant area of concern” triggers a mandatory quarantine for travelers that are not fully vaccinated. You can test out of this quarantine at day 5 with a negative test, unless you are returning from a “variant area of concern.” In that case, there is no “testing out.

    Please check the most current list before you travel. In addition, if you travel to either a “high incidence area” or a “variant area of concern,” you are required to present a negative COVID test taken within 48 hours, and you must show this test upon entry into Germany.

All of these resources and more can be found at

I am a Soldier / US Civilian / Family Member (Dependent), where can I travel?

It is the individual's responsibility to know and follow all local laws regarding services, testing and quarantines. Read the full GO1H, Annex A, Tab 1 & 2 and the full ordinance translations at

The below chart helps explain Leisure Travel guidelines impacting USAG Bavaria community members under GO-1. (If you cannot view the chart, please click this link).

* Note: This is not the chart for Official Travel. Please refer to USAG Bavaria's Coronavirus FAQ Page / Tab "Bavarian Ordinance / General Order 1"

I am a Contractor, where can I travel?

Unofficial (non-government funded) travel:

  • Talk to your company for further instructions.
  • Encouraged to follow the current General Order 1, Annex A and Tab 1 & 2.
  • Must abide by restrictions identified under the "Travel to the U.S." and "Return to Germany" sections of the below chart. (If you cannot view the chart, please click this link).

* Note: This is not the chart for Official Travel. Please refer to USAG Bavaria's Coronavirus FAQ Page / Tab "Bavarian Ordinance / General Order 1"

I am a U.S. family member (Not Dependent), can I visit USAG Bavaria / Germany?

From the German Embassy Washington: The German Government has lifted all travel restrictions for persons residing in the United States, effective Sunday, June 20, 2021. Travel to Germany for all purposes will be permitted again. However, a proof of vaccination or proof of recovery from COVID-19 or negative test result is still required for entry via air travel.

Official Link:

In accordance with 7ATC's General Order 1H and current Annex A, you are responsible for understanding changes in host-nation rules and conducting yourself accordingly.

This decision is determined by the EU/German government. For more information, visit the official German Government Page here, and the U.S. Consulate Page here.

Are there any restrictions on travel destinations?

The short answer is “No,” but there are important considerations you must understand. General Order #1H and Annex A no longer restrict travel destinations. You simply must comply with all Host Nation laws regarding that travel.

Authority to approve leaves and passes is therefore returned to Company Commanders and the appropriate civilian supervisor equivalent.

However – this is very important! – commanders and supervisors may still deny leave and pass travel if the proposed travel triggers quarantines or other restrictions on movement, and the commander or supervisor determines that those restrictions would interfere with mission accomplishment.

For example, you may wish to travel to France over Memorial Day weekend. That travel is not, strictly-speaking, forbidden. But if Bavarian law requires you to quarantine upon your return, your commander may decide that telework during that period is not practical (because, for example, they need you in the field for an exercise that week). In that case, the commander may disapprove your leave destination. You could still take leave locally, or you could modify your trip to travel to a location that does not require a quarantine on your return.

Bavarian and other European quarantine rules apply differently to Fully Vaccinated versus unvaccinated travelers. It is important that you educate yourself about the requirements. As more countries publish their entry and quarantine requirements on verified outlets like,COVID-19 Fully Vaccinated travelers face far fewer restrictions from Host Nation governments.

Are there any restrictions on how I can travel?

No. You may travel by plane, train, automobile, cruise ship, or any other method. You simply must comply with all Host Nation laws regarding that method of travel.

Previously, travel by certain means was forbidden (cruise ships) or required approval at the O-5 level (airlines). This rule was designed to prevent travelers from being stranded. For example, if you caught COVID-19 during your trip, you may not have been able to board your return flight.

Now, airlines, cruise ships, and Host Nation authorities have sufficiently developed controls that mitigate the risk of infection (for example, increased testing requirements, or a requirement to prove vaccination, before boarding a cruise ship).

It is still possible you will become infected during your travels, and it is important that you plan carefully to ensure you can safely return. In many cases, ground transportation will still be the most practical means of travel, because you may not require a negative test to drive across a border.

It is your responsibility as the traveler to know the rules of both your destination and Germany, as well as individual commercial carriers.

How does the COVID-19 vaccine affect my travel plans?

Bavaria, and many other European countries, have eliminated travel-based quarantines for Fully-Vaccinated travelers. In some countries, this has already happened; in others, it has been announced but not yet implemented. It is important that you understand what this means.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and many of its European equivalents, “Fully-Vaccinated” means you have the full benefit of the vaccine. For Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech and other two-dose vaccine regimens, that means 14 days following your second dose. For Johnson & Johnson (aka Janssen), that means 14 days following your single (only) dose.

What about travel for children with regards to new vaccination rules?

In most cases, children still cannot be vaccinated. The Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine is approved for use by persons aged 12 and up, and all other vaccines are only approved for those 18 and up. Our population has been offered the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine for persons aged 12 and up. For more information, please contact your Medical Treatment Facility.

Depending on the country, unvaccinated children may still be required to quarantine. It is imperative that travelers educate themselves about these rules and plan for them.

For example, if you plan a trip to France this summer with two unvaccinated children, you may need a child-care plan for their quarantine period after you return. Commanders are authorized to consider this as a factor when deciding to approve leave. If a Soldier is needed at the workplace immediately following travel, leave may be denied if there is no satisfactory child-care plan during that period.

For these reasons, leisure travel with unvaccinated children outside of Germany may be easier during the summer break, when school is out.

What other considerations should I take into account?

This transition period, while vaccines are becoming available but we have not yet eliminated the threat of COVID, is going to require careful planning. Rules are going to vary from country to country. There are several considerations for planning travel.

Ensure you make reservations that can be cancelled at no cost (or a minimal, acceptable cost). Things could change in either your destination country or here in Bavaria, and you should be prepared to alter your plans. Travel insurance is also highly recommended, and can generally be obtained through your credit card, airline, or travel agency. It may add a bit to the cost, but will be worth it if the worst happens.

Second, make a plan for a worst-case scenario. If you fly to an island destination, and one of your dependents tests positive for COVID-19before your return flight, you may be stuck there. You should ensure you have enough money (and leave available) to cover such an unanticipated event. For the time being, ground-based travel (POV or train) is likely going to be easier than flying.

Third, even if you are vaccinated, we recommend you and all dependents traveling with you obtain negative test results within 48 hours of your departure. If possible, you should do the same prior to your return. Herein Bavaria, you can generally get a free negative test on the economy (some of these are listed on the website. You can also generally get tests at airports, though you may have to pay. Military Treatment Facilities on installations in Bavaria are not currently offering testing for leisure travel.

Is holiday block leave being approved?

Please reach out to your chain of command, as they approve holiday block leave (not the garrison).

CWTSatoTravel & Refunds


How can I reach CWTSatoTravel?

The Commercial Travel Office CWTSatoTravel is located at Bldg. 215 / Rm. 122 / Rose Barracks.

Please call to schedule an appointment:

DSN 476-2634 / CIV 09662-4112110

Hours of Operation: M - F: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Closed on German and American Holidays

If I need to request a refund for my leisure travel, what should I do?

If you purchased a leisure ticket through CWTSatoTravel, contact the CWTSatoTravel office where you purchased the ticket (ideally by phone or email). That office will advise you whether they can process the refund or whether airline policies require you to contact the airline directly (in these cases we can assist with providing points of contact).

Does CWTSatoTravel charge a fee for rebooking or refunding a leisure travel ticket?

CWTSatoTravel will waive the processing fee to rebook or refund leisure travel affected by COVID-19 restrictions.

I paid for my leisure travel directly to CWTSatoTravel, why can't CWTSatoTravel just refund the entire cost of my cancelled travel?

When you purchased the ticket, the money went to the airline to pay for your seat. CWTSatoTravel can request a refund on your behalf from applicable airlines in accordance with rules associated with your ticket and the airlines' refund policies.

I booked a ticket for leisure travel or leisure in conjunction with travel, but now cannot travel due to either U.S. Government restrictions or travel restrictions in the country I would be traveling to. How do I obtain a refund?

If the ticket was purchased through CWTSatoTravel, then contact the office through which you purchased the ticket to request a refund.

Why isn't the airline refunding my entire ticket?

The airline may assess charges depending upon the airlines' policy on ticket changes and or country related-fees, the type of ticket you purchased, and your frequent flyer traveler status with the airline. These fees are established solely by each airline, travel agencies such as CWTSatoTravel have no ability to waive these fees. For more information, contact your CWTSatoTravel office and we can provide advice and or assistance.

Can I receive a standardized memorandum on the travel bans to assist with refunds for leisure travel reservations?

The entire world is facing hardship in responding to the threat of COVID-19. Unfortunately, there is no military exception for monies lost as a result of this unforeseen global pandemic. Most major airlines are offering refunds for tickets on flights that have been cancelled in response to COVID-19. But there is no special exception or memorandum for military personnel, as these travel bans and cancellations are affecting the entire world.

If a customer feels they are not being assisted by their local office, how can one get a higher level of customer service and support?

Please use the Travel Office Locator on to find your travel office and select the "Rate Our Service" orange button on the page. This will allow the customer to describe and escalate the issue.

On-Post Services


When will the 24-hour gyms reopen?

There is no timeline for reopening the 24-hour gyms. Because the 24-hour gyms are unmanned, there is no way to control the number ofpeople who swipe in, or ensure the required hygiene standards are met, during a COVID-19 environment.

The 24-hour gyms will not reopen until we return to HPCON Alpha (Low).

Can Local Nationals use the on-post gyms?

Effective 18 June 18 2021: Fully vaccinated LN Employees and Pond Security personnel will be able to use the fitness centers. The Bundeswehr already has access to the gyms.

For more information, please visit your local Army MWR Fitness Website for COVID-19 Customer Guidelines.

When will the movie theater reopen?

Effective 25 June 2021: AAFES is scheduled to reopen its theaters on Tower Barracks, Rose Barracks and Hohenfels.

The theater will be open at a limited capacity. And TB and RB Theaters require that tickets must be purchased in advance.

Showtimes are posted on AAFES websites and social media channels.

When will CDC hours return to normal? / When will CYS open more childcare slots?

The operational hours of these facilities, and the capability to provide a specific number of childcare slots, are restricted due to the increased COVID-19 risk mitigation demands of HPCON B; normal hours of operations and slot openings will not be restored until HPCON A (Low).

Why is CYS charging the full price of daycare during when COVID-19 impacts hours of operation?

CYS fee policies are set by the Department of Defense. Parent Central Services staff can provide specific information. Please email any questions regarding care to Parent Central Services at

When will the Post Exchange fitting rooms reopen?

Reopeningthe PX fitting rooms will be a corporate decision and not an individualExchange decision. No timeline has been set for reopening the PX fittingrooms, but once a decision has been made corporately the GM will inform thegarrison commander then submit a RMP for approval. Keeping the fitting rooms closed is for ourcustomers protection during the coronavirus pandemic. We understand the fitting rooms being closedis an inconvenience, and thank you for your patience and understanding.

Where can I find COVID-19 information about DoDEA schools and schedules?

Please refer to the USAG Bavaria Education and Schools Homepage. You will find information about DoDEA COVID-19 operational guidelines and protocols, DoDEA virtual school FAQs, School Liaison contacts and more.

Can I sign-in guests? When will visitor sign-in policy change?

You can check the status of IACS visitor sign-in using the garrison Service Tracker.

Visitor sign-in policy is impacted by off-post COVID-19 case numbers in the surrounding area. When those case numbers are low to non-existent, then visitor sign-in will likely resume. Since we cannot predict when this will occur, we cannot provide a concrete date as to when visitor sign-in will be / won't be allowed.

COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance

COVID-19 Vaccine Guidance

How can I schedule my vaccine through USAG Bavaria MTFs?

MEDDAC-Bavaria is now offering COVID-19 vaccine appointments to all eligible beneficiaries, regardless of tier category. Prior to scheduling an appointment, please read the following criteria:

1. Each request will be screened for eligibility. Individuals found ineligible will be informed via email.

2. Currently, COVID-19 vaccines are only available for patients 18 years or older.

3. Please ensure you provide a valid email address, as this is the primary means of contacting you about your vaccine appointment.

4. If you book an appointment, please do not be a no-show! No-shows hurt your fellow community member’s opportunities to receive the vaccine. Please remember your DOD ID when you arrive for your appointment.

5. Highlighted calendar days (in blue) indicate where appointments may be available. You MUST click on the calendar number to see available scheduling.

6. If dates and times on the DHA Appointing Portal are greyed out, it means they are either booked or have not been opened for appointments.

7. Please ensure that if you register for a first dose (Moderna Vaccine) that you will be able to be present for your second dose (28 days later).

They will ONLY open appointments on the appointing portal as COVID-19 vaccines become available. If you do not see any available appointments, please keep checking back.

Check for available appointments using the Defense Health Agency Appointing Portal:

NOTE: The site works best on a computer, not a cell phone.

Which vaccines are recognized in Germany?

Germany will recognize proof of any EU-approved vaccine.

This includes all of those currently approved by the U.S. – Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson (aka “Janssen”). It also includes Astra-Zeneca, which is approved in the EU but not for the U.S.

It does not include the Russian “Sputnik” vaccine or any of the vaccines produced by China (Sinovac, Sinopharm).

How do I “prove” I have been vaccinated?

The COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card is the official confirmation that a person is fully vaccinated against COVID-19 14-days after receiving the "2nd dose" of Comirnaty (BioNTech/Pfizer) or Moderna, or 14-days after receiving the "1st dose" of Janssen (Johnson & Johnson).

Many countries, including Germany, have indicated that showing a copy of your CDC “vaccine card” will serve to prove you have been vaccinated.

We recommend you carry this card with you, along with your passport, during all travel. Store it just like your passport – in a secure place, where it will not be lost or damaged.

Do vaccinated US personnel need the EU COVID VAX Digital Certificate?

It is not required that USAG Bavaria community members obtain an EU COVID VAX Digital Certificate. Choosing to obtain a digital passport is completely voluntary for US personnel.

When US personnel are vaccinated against COVID-19 on the installation, military health clinics issue patients an official vaccination card from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This card is US proof of vaccination and is widely accepted.

However, some USAG Bavaria community members express interest in voluntarily signing up for the EU COVID VAX Digital Certificate to ensure additional methods of proof while traveling in the European Union. This electronic certificate is equivalent to the German physical yellow vaccination booklet known as an "Impfpass."

For those who are interested, click here for the steps to enroll in the program. These instructions include steps for accessing Germany's App Store using North American devices.

(Before sharing your personal medical or location data with any commercially-available app, please consult the matter with your command).

Do recovered COVID-19 personnel receive documentation of their recovery which they can show as proof of recovery when entering a hotel, restaurant, store etc.?

Persons are considered to have recovered if they have already been infected with the coronavirus in the medium term. The infection must have been confirmed by a positive PCR test at least 28 days and no more than six months ago.

Positive PCR test results are accepted either in hard copy or in digital format in German, English, French, Italian or Spanish.

If the infection is older than 6 months, you will need a negative test (or become fully vaccinated) to enter stores, restaurants, etc.

For all other questions, where can I find DoD FAQs about the COVID-19 vaccine?

Please refer to the FAQ section posted on the Military Health System Europe - Regional Health Command Europe website.

(The FAQ section is posted near the bottom of the webpage).