Redstone Arsenal Installation Access Policy
Accessing Redstone Arsenal:
All personnel accessing Redstone Arsenal are required to have a valid reason/need for accessing the installation and be registered in the Automated Installation Entry (AIE) System. Individuals with Department of Defense (DoD) issued Identification Cards are automatically registered in the AIE system the first time the Common Access Card or ID is scanned at the installation gates. Non-DoD personnel must register in AIE at the installation Visitor Control Center (VCC) outside Gate 9. The registration process includes validating the individual’s identify via their state or federally issued photo ID, a background check, and photographing the individual. Individuals with background checks that reveal any of the following will be denied access to Redstone Arsenal.
- NCIC-III contains criminal arrest information about the individual that causes the senior commander to determine that the person presents a threat to the good order, discipline, or health and safety on the installation.
- A claimed identity that cannot be verified based on the reasonable belief that the person submitted fraudulent identity information in the attempt to gain access.
- Current arrest warrant in NCIC, regardless of the offense or violation.
- Current bar from entry or access to a Federal installation or facility.
- Conviction of crimes encompassing sexual assault, armed robbery, rape, child molestation, production or possession of child pornography, trafficking in humans, or drug possession with intent to sell or distribute.
- Conviction for espionage, sabotage, sedition, treason, terrorism, or murder.
- Being registered as a sex offender.
- Felony conviction within the last 10 years regardless of the offense or violation.
- Felony conviction for a firearms or explosives violation regardless of when the conviction occurred.
- Engaged in acts or activities designed to overthrow the U.S. Government by force.
- Been identified in the NCIC KST file or TSDB report as known to be, or is suspected of being, a terrorist or belonging to an organization with known links to terrorism or support of terrorist activity.
Cleared Individuals will be registered in the system utilizing their valid Real ID-compliant driver’s license or state issued photo ID as their access token. Individuals may also be issued an installation pass dependent on purpose and length of access required. DOD ID card holders and individuals with common access cards issued by other federal agencies, will have their CAC/DOD ID registered as an access token.
Redstone Arsenal uses three capabilities with the AIE system at the installation gates Handheld scanner (HH), Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) and Facial Recognition (FR).
- HH scanners are utilized at all gates and all lanes
- RFID: Gates 1, 7 and 9 have are outfitted with the RFID capability. Individuals authorized RFID credentials include DOD employees, other federal agency employees, active duty military, and military retirees.
- FR: Gates 1 and 9 have designated lanes outfitted with the Facial Recognition capability. These lanes are only open to single occupancy vehicles (driver is only occupant of the vehicle). Vehicles with more than one occupant are required to utilize a non-facial recognition lane.
Commercial Vehicle access:
Commercial vehicles requiring one time access to the installation will utilize the Commercial Vehicle (truck lane) at Gate 1. All commercial vehicles will be inspected by the guard force. Commercial vehicles will utilize the Gate 1 main gate after the truck lane closes. If accessing the installation when Gate 1 is closed, commercial vehicles will use Gate 9.
Trusted Traveler Program:
Redstone Arsenal uses the Trusted Traveler program on the installation. The program allows a uniformed Service member or government employee with a valid DOD CAC, a military retiree, or an adult dependent 18 years or older (with a valid DOD ID credential) and other federal agency employees (FBI, ATF, NASA) to present their ID credential for access to the installation while simultaneously vouching for vehicle occupants.
Vehicle occupants that are sponsored by the trusted traveler must be 18 years of age or older and be in possession of: a valid state or federally issued photo ID. Occupants under the age of 18 may be sponsored by an adult occupant of the vehicle that is cleared to enter the installation. Trusted travelers cannot vouch for persons with foreign passports or ID cards. DOD contractors in possession of a CAC are not authorized trusted traveler privileges.
Recreation Badge access:
Redstone Arsenal provides non-affiliated community members the opportunity to utilize installation Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) facilities and services. Applicants must request the pass at the VCC in person.
Recreation badge holders may access Gates 8 or 9 between the hours of 5:30 a.m. and 10:30 p.m. Individuals in possession of a recreation badge are not authorized to escort other adult personnel onto the installation.
Recreation Visitor badges provide limited access to the following MWR recreational facilities and activities:
- Golf/Frisbee Golf Course;
- Redstone Lanes Bowling Center;
- Redstone Arsenal Conference Centers;
- ACS Welcome center / JAVA Café;
- Recreation Area (parks);
- Sports Fields / Complexes, with prior coordination with MWR;
Transportation Facilities Guide Information:
Safe Haven / Secure Hold: Redstone Arsenal does not have a Safe Haven but does provide a secure hold parking area for commercial vehicles transporting Department of Defense Arms, Ammunition and Explosives (AA&E), classified, sensitive, protected, Hazardous Materials (HAZMAT) and Controlled Cryptographic materials. The nearest DOD Safe Haven is at Anniston Army Depot, Anniston, Alabama.
- Commercial vehicles requesting Safe Haven/Secure Hold at Redstone Arsenal will access the installation via the gate 1 commercial truck lane during normal duty hours. After hours, vehicles will access the installation via gate 9.
- Vehicle operators will need to advise the gate guard that they are requesting Safe Haven.
- All vehicles will be inspected by the gate guard prior to being escorted to the Secure Hold location. Drivers will provide their driver’s license, vehicle registration, proof of insurance and bill of laden. Passengers will provide a valid state or federal issued photo ID.
- Redstone Arsenal law enforcement will escort the vehicle to the secure hold location.
- Once at the secure hold location, drivers are required to always remain with the vehicle, while at the secure hold location.
- Bathrooms are not provided at the secure hold location. A porta John is located within the secure hold location. Porta John is for the use of vehicle occupants and shall not be used to drain/clean vehicle black or gray tanks.