House Hunting in Stuttgart

Contact the Housing Office prior to beginning your search for off-post housing.

 The telephone number for the off-post housing office is: CIV 09641-70596-2318/2521 or DSN: (314) 596-2318/2512.

The housing email address for off-post housing questios and equests is:

Housing in the Stuttgart area is expensive because there are many people working for major industries who are all searching for housing in the Stuttgart metro area.

There is adequate off post housing: apartments, penthouses, maisonette apartments [which are two- floored apartments], townhouses, duplexes, and free-standing houses.

The square meter prices are high and, therefore, some units will be priced higher than the Overseas Housing Allowance rate (OHA). Apartments, townhouses, and duplexes are generally less expensive and are easier to find.

Large homes or free-standing single houses, with multiple bathrooms, large yards and 5+ bedrooms are more difficult to find and are usually located outside school zones.

 Military Reservist

All military reservist on per diem for six month or more must contact the UPH office for assistance with short-term furnished off-post apartments.

 OHA for Military Off-Post Residents

While stationed overseas and living off-post, military personnel will receive OHA instead of Basic Allowance Housing (BAH).

Rent caps for off-post housing are established by rank. A service member will either receive OHA based on rent or the rent cap, whichever is less. Service member will also receive a monthly utility allowance that will help offset utility costs.

Rates & allowances 

 Advance Housing Allowance–Army Only

Take a signed copy of the USAG Stuttgart rental contract to your unit personnel administration (S1) to request an advance Advance Housing Allowance form to pay the first month rent and security deposit, that typically equals two months rent.

For details, contact your unit finance office.

 Off-Post Referral Services

Off-Post Housing Website

The off-post housing website, contains the housing referral listings in Stuttgart. Pervin Estates LLC operates the Community Home Finding, Relocation and Referral Service Office for the USAG Stuttgart. Services are free to military and U.S. government civilians. Pervin Estates do not serve contractors. All homes listed on the website are equipped with a furnished kitchen and light fixtures, and managed by landlords that accept the housing contract rules. The telephone number for Pervin Estates LLC is: CIV 09641-70596-2318/2521 or DSN: (314) 596-2318/2512.

Pervin Estates email

Prior to arrival, and only if eligible for off-post housing, visit the website to get an idea of the types and sizes of homes in Stuttgart. This may also help customers determine the amount of furniture to ship and leave in storage.

Please keep in mind that German homes can be a lot smaller compared to homes in the U.S.

Average room sizes are smaller, and may be spread out over 2-4 floors. The yards are usually small to medium-sized and some homes do not have closets.

Free-standing, single-family homes are significantly more expensive and harder to find than apartments.

Large apartments near all the bases in the Stuttgart area are available. Some are spread out over two floors, giving the feeling of a house.

Pervin Estates will assist military members and authorized civilian employees with scheduling appointments and provide up to three escorted home tours, and Off-Post Housing inspections.

Pervin Estates will not provide specific information (addresses and contact details) on the dwelling units at in advance of arrival date nor in advance of the mandatory in-processing.

U.S. Government Civilians: The housing brief is a mandatory requirement. Please bring a copy of PCS orders and a completed DD 1746 form to the housing brief.

The housing office will use the DD 1746 to update or create the customer housing record. After record is updated, civilians may download the required landlord detail request form  and email  the two forms directly to the housing referral office to begin house hunting.

Reminder: Service members and U.S. government civilians should not enter into a rental contract (written or verbal) in advance of the housing brief or in-processing step.

Inspections for Military and Civilian personnel

It is highly recommended that all military and civilian personnel have an assignment (in-check) and termination (out-check) home inspection.

Initial in-check and final out-check inspections will be conducted with the service member or employee (tenant), the Landlord and one of the Pervin Estates inspectors.

Schedule all inspection appointments with Pervin Estates at least 2 weeks in advance

 Pre-Out-Check Inspections

All pre-out Inspection requests have to be approved in advance. It's recommended to identify any outstanding issues or deficiencies in enough time to correct them prior to scheduling the final out-check inspection.

The pre out-check should be completed in the presence of the landlord or the landlord's property manager.

 Move-In Housing Allowance

Move In Housing Allowance or MIHA is an allowance for off-post rentals for military personnel only.

There are several types including miscellaneous and in special cases the realtor fee.

Miscellaneous allowance is a one-time payment designed to defray the setup cost for an off-post rental, such as transformers, curtains and other items.

MIHA for realtor fee reimbursement

Realtor fees may be authorized for service members that have special housing needs. For example:

  • Five or more bedrooms
  • ADA compliant home for handicapped family members
  • Family members enrolled in the Exceptional Family Member Program
  • Circumstances that are deemed unique and unusual by the Housing Chief or Garrison Commander

 German Laws & Quiet Hours

Landlord rental law

Landlords in Germany have the right to choose their tenants based on personal preference. A Landlord or property manager may interview potential tenants and then choose their tenants.

German rental law allows for landlords to request to assess pets for behavioral concerns and fit in the neighborhood. For example, a landlord may ask the prospective tenant to meet his/her dog and then both landlord and tenant may take a walk with the dog. If the dog appears untrained or aggressive, the landlord may decide not to rent the building to the tenant. A landlord may ask for a pet deposit.

Quiet Hours
  • German law places limits on noise levels. Evening quiet hours are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
  • Daytime quiet hours are from 1–3 p.m.
  • The use of lawn mowers and other gardening machines,or any noise making machine is from 7 a.m.–1 p.m. and from 3–7 p.m.
  • On Sundays and German Federal holidays, quiet hours are 24 hours - all day and night.
  • Special occasions, such as the World Cup or a wedding are the exceptions to the quiet hours law.


An out-processing briefing is conducted every first Wednesday of month at the Central Processing Facility (CPF).  A housing representative will brief customers concerning out processing procedure for private rental housing, On-post housing, UPH quarters, and all outgoing TLA authorization.   Contact the CPF office in order to get the most up to date information concerning out-processing procedures to the installation.  

Point of contact for the Central Processing Facilities is Commercial Telephone: +49(0) 7031-15-2599.  DSN:  431-2599. 

Off-post clearing

Pre/Final-Out-Check Inspections
All pre-out Inspection requests have to be approved in advance. It's recommended to identify any outstanding issues or deficiencies in enough time to correct them prior to scheduling the final out-check inspection. The pre out-check should be completed in the presence of the landlord or the landlord's property manager.

Procedures to clear On Post Housing
Service members are required to notify the Housing Office of their intent to terminate housing 60 to 120 days prior to their PCS.   A pre-inspection can be completed 30-45 days prior to service members anticipated departure.  Service members are required to notify the Housing Office upon receipt of orders, (PCS, EROD, and Retirement orders) to schedule a pre-inspection.   Upon scheduling the final termination inspection, the service member will receive a TLA briefing indicating the authorized days of outgoing TLA.   The service member is responsible for coordinating temporary lodging. 

The purpose of the pre inspection is to inform service members on the process needed to clear Government quarters.   The housing inspector will brief service members cleaning standards and provide any documentation needed to clear your quarters.  We at the housing office recommend the service member schedule a pre-inspection in order to manage any housing expectations which they may have prior to departure.

  1. When scheduling a pre-inspection, provide the counselor a copy of your orders. (PCS, EROD, Retirement orders)
  2. Housing counselor will schedule your pre-inspection in our housing database (eMH) and provide you with a date on when the housing inspector will come to the quarters to access damages and provide you with the standards needed to clear quarters.
  3. Housing counselor will brief you on TLA entitlements based on type of orders provided and will explain coordination of movement of HHG and delivery of Government loaner furniture.

Final Inspection 
We have taken pride in providing you and your family the best Housing possible. Our commitment to your family began the day our inspectors walked through your residence with the previous occupants in order to ensure that they were passing on the keys of a well-cared home to you.  

Final Inspection Process
At your final inspection, the inspector we will:

  1. Inspect the quarter for cleanliness.
  2. Inspect storage rooms to make sure bulk trash has been removed.
  3. Collect all housing keys and remotes.
  4. Inspect all appliances for cleanliness.
  5. Once the Service member has successfully cleared the quarters, the housing inspector will issue the inventory and condition report and other relevant correspondence; direct the Service member to the Housing Office. 
  6. The housing counselor will explain procedures to be followed after completion of final housing inspection, i.e., clearance of Housing/Furnishings for settlement of possible charges,
  7. The housing counselor will provide a copy of termination orders from housing and TLA authorization if applicable once Service member has successfully cleared the quarters.

Normal Wear & Tea
Residents are responsible for damage to their home or to equipment and furnishings caused by the abuse or negligence of family members and guests. Excessive grease or mildew are considered above normal wear and tear and could result in damage charges. Normal wear and tear is the amount of deterioration which occurs in the normal use of homes; as such it is anticipated and acceptable. Homes should be used as intended, avoiding any negligence, carelessness, accident or abuse of the premises by the occupant, members of the household, their pets or guests. For example, small nail holes are expected, large holes are not.