If you cannot find an answer to your question here, please contact the housing office.

Do you take advance applications for housing?
Yes, we will need a copy of your PCS order and DD 1746 to process advanced application. 

When can I be placed on the waiting list for housing?
Personnel on orders to any community cannot be placed on any waiting list until the Service member has physically signed out of his/her losing. Your signed and approved DA 31 (Request and Authority for Leave), and DA Form 137-2 (Installation Clearance Record) are the only way of substantiating this requirement.

What do I need to bring to register with Housing?
All your orders (PCS, Pin-Point, Command Sponsored, Joint Domicile, Amendments, TDY en-route, etc.), DA Form 31 (Leave Form), and DA 137-2 (Installation Clearing Record – for Command Sponsored families only).

Where can I live?
In accordance with USAREUR Policy Letter dated 20 June 2018, subject; Military Family Housing Assignment Policy for Army in Europe states, Mandatorily assign 100 percent of accompanied Soldiers in all grades to Government-controlled military family housing when occupancy is lower than 95 percent. Take a 360 degree tour of on-post housing

Can I choose to live off post?
No, based on the new policy only when occupancy level are above 95 percent will be issue certificates of non-availability.  Exceptions may be authorized with strong justifications. 

Is there a waiting list for off-post housing?
No, most off-post housing is immediately available for move-in. First come first served listings

What are my housing entitlements?
You are entitled to Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA), a separate Utilities allowance, and a one-time Move In Housing Allowance (MIHA). 

What is OHA?
OHA is the overseas equivalent to Stateside BAH in that it is used to pay your rent.  OHA is based on the local currency (Euro) and is paid out in your LES like BAH.  OHA is based on your pay grade and dependent status (with or without).  You can find your OHA rate at http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/ohaform.html - Under “Location,” type in the “Locality Code” of GE055.  Enter your pay grade and dependent status as appropriate, and another pop up screen will list your OHA rate, utilities rate, and MIHA.

What is Move In Housing Allowance (MIHA)? 
The Move-In Housing Allowance is a lump sum flat rate that you will receive upon moving in to a new off-post house.  This allowance helps offset expenses incurred when first setting up your household, such as cable, phone, etc.  http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/faqoha.html

What is Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)?  
TLA is the allowance that offsets the higher costs of staying in a hotel and eating out daily.  You can check the TLA rates on http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/perdiemrates.html;

How do I know whether I’m eligible for TLA?
Families must be on concurrent travel status to Government or private rental quarters in order to be eligible for TLA.  Families must be in a concurrent travel status to the address of a friend or relative are not entitled to TLA, however you may be eligible for meals while residing with friends or relatives. 

What is the waiting time for housing?
Typical waiting times are 0-8 weeks.  Waiting times may vary during high PSC seasons.

Will I be placed on the waiting list for government quarters prior to establishing eligibility?
With an advance application and a copy of your PCS orders you may be placed on the waiting list.  However, you will be placed on the waiting list in a priority 3 (non-competitive) and upon arrival you will begin competing on your applicable waiting list..

When may I bring my family to Overseas?
With concurrent travel order or after signing for quarters a family travel message will be sent authorizing your family to travel.

Who is eligible for Government Housing?                                    
All Service members serving on a 36 months accompanied tour are eligible for assignment to Government-controlled quarters. Soldiers must have 12 months remaining on tour to apply for as well as 6 months remaining when signing for Government controlled quarters.

What is my eligibility date and how does that affect my place on the waiting list?
Your eligibility date is determined by the date that you leave your last permanent duty. Sponsors will not be placed on a waiting list at the gaining installation prior to the Soldier signing out at the losing installation. Soldiers must sign-in at the new duty station before assignment is made. DA Form 31 (Request and Authority for Leave) and DA Form 137–2 (Installation Clearance Record) will indicate date departed last permanent duty station.  Other methods in which an eligibility date may be established are the effective date of command sponsorship, date of application, or through an approved exception to policy.  Families are not jump on any waiting list however a Family can be displaced by a Family that has a higher eligibility date.  Example: John Smith PCSs and signs out on leave on 1 May take leave until 30 May and signs into unit.  Your eligibility date is 1 May is this is the date you will be placed on your respective waiting list.  However, if Billy Bob Smith PCSs and starts leave on 20 April and signs into new duty station on 4 June by regulatory guidance this family will be placed ahead of the family that arrived on 30 May if the two families are competing on the same waiting with the same requirements. 

Can I lose my original eligibility date???                                               
applications must be made within 30 days of arrivals or receipt of command sponsorship to maintain your eligibility date of date departed last duty station or date of command sponsorship approval. Beyond 30 days, or soldiers making tour changes, the effective date on the waiting list will be date of application.

I am on an unaccompanied tour, how can I change my tour?
You will need to submit a request for command sponsorship/change of tour through your unit S1/personnel office.

What is concurrent travel?
Concurrent travel allows you and your family to travel together to your next permanent duty station.  All command sponsorship and joint domicile orders will be issued with “concurrent travel to Government-controlled or economy quarters.   

What does deferred travel mean?
Deferred travel means that your family will not be traveling with you because there are no houses immediately available or you are having approved delays for your family’s travel.  You will have up to 120 days max to bring your family members to an Overseas location (BAH stops on the 121st day).  TLA will be authorized.

If we do not want to live in government housing do we still have to wait the 60 days for the non-availability statement?  
No, you will be issued a CNA statement at the time of your lease signing.

How long can I keep the Government furniture once I sign for it?
Officially you may keep the Government loaner furnishings for up to 90 before it you are required to turn-in your loaner set.  Typically, until the furniture you are issued is actually needed because of shortages you may be allowed to retain pending notification. 

How are the sizes of the bedrooms compared to bedrooms in the United States? 
Typically, the bedrooms are smaller on upper floors because of slanted ceiling making it difficult to situate bulky and taller furniture in some rooms. Take a 360 degree tour

How many bathrooms are in the quarters?  
All on-post family housing has at least 1 1/2 bathroom.  Take a 360 degree tour

Who controls the heating thermostat in the quarters, is it the individual tenant or housing?
For Government-controlled quarters, the individual tenant controls the heating thermostat in the quarters.

What about my electric appliances, TV and computer?
Yes, most of our quarters are equipped with dual voltage.  Personal washers and dryers should be left in storage if possible.  All Government-controlled and eligible private rental quarters are authorized washers, dryers, dishwashers, refrigerator and ranges as needed for the length of your tour as well.

Where are the DODDS schools located? 
DODDS Schools are located on Panzer Kaserne, Patch and Robinson Barracks.  The High School is located on Panzer Kaserne; students are bused to high school from all locations. Elementary schools are located on Panzer Kaserne,  and Robinson Barracks. The Middle school is located on Patch Barracks.  

Where do single SSGs live?  
SSGs and below are required to reside in unaccompanied personnel housing for permanent party.   If the utilization rate for the installation is 95% or above in accordance with regulatory guidance a certificate of non-availability (CNA) to reside off-post.

I need to have work done, how do I place a work order?
You can place a work order online or by calling by calling DSN 421-6200 or Commercial 0711-729-6200.

How many pets can I bring if I reside in Government-controlled quarters?
In accordance with local policy as well as regulatory guidance, you may bring two pets; two dogs or two cats or a combination there of.  Request for additional pet authorization must be submitted thru the Chief, Housing Division and approved by the Garrison Commander. Domestic pets are not authorized in Unaccompanied Personnel Housing.

How long can a guest stay in my quarters?
Per calendar year a non-dependent guest may visit for a period no longer than 90 days.  Request be submitted thru the garrison Chief Housing Division and must be approved by the Garrison Commander.

Are there restrictions on what type of dog I can have in Germany?
Yes, in accordance with host nation laws, the following Class I canines are prohibited from entering Germany, and are prohibited from residing in government controlled quarters. Any mix breeds containing bloodlines of Class I canines are also classified as Class I canines. At present, further breeds and crosses of the following breeds with each other or with other dogs are classified as dangerous in Baden-Wiirttemberg (Stuttgart):

  1.  Bullmastiff
  2. Dogo Argentino
  3. Bordeaux Dogge
    1. Fila Brasilero
    2. Spanish Mastiff
    3. Neapolitan Mastiff
    4. Mastiff
    5. Tosa Inu