What Can a School Liaison Officer Do for Me
School Liaison Officers (SLOs) “level the playing field” for transitioning students, help prepare families, schools, and installations to respond confidently to the complexities of transition and deployment while providing families the assurance that their children’s academic well being is an Army priority by providing:
Five basic core services
- Transition Assistance (PCS Cycle) – School Liaison Officers assist families with school transfers and help “level the playing field” for military children and youth through direct family interaction and through” paving the way” with local schools.
- Communication Link between Command, Schools, and Families – School Liaison Officers serve as subject matter experts for installation commanders on K-12 issues helping to connect command, school, and community resources.
- Home School Linkage and Support- School Liaison Officers assist Army families by gathering and sharing information on home schooling issues, policies, and legislation from local school districts, and helping leverage Child Youth & School [CYS] resources to support these families.
- Partnerships in Education (PIE) – Creates a volunteer network of resources to support installation and community members who have a vested interest in the success of all youth.
- Post Secondary Preparations – School Liaison Officers leverage installation and school resources to provide graduating military students with access to post-secondary information and opportunities.
Examples of SLO activities
- Provide information on student registration in the local school system
- Provide information on the Student Meal Program
- Educate parents on the local school system, policies, procedures, programs, and schedules
- Support home school families
- Supply resource materials on primary, secondary, and post-secondary education
- Coordinate with CYS Homework Centers and Youth Technology Labs
- Participate in Education Council Meetings to elevate parental issues for resolution
- These initiatives prepare schools and installations to respond confidently to the complexities of transitions, and provide families the assurance that their children's academic well being is a priority.
When Do I Need a SLO?
- A SLO can assist you prior to and at arrival to make your child’s school registration and transition smooth.
- A SLO can provide information and address your specific questions and concerns regarding your educational options through your in processing brief, a personal office visit, emails, and phone calls.
- Out-Processing: Contact your SLO well in advance of your departure if possible.
- A school liaison can assist you with connections to provide information about your upcoming duty station.
- A SLO can also assist you in ensuring you have properly completed the steps to prepare for your child’s departure from his/her current school.
Anytime you have questions or concerns: regarding schools, homeschooling, special education, scholarships, transitions, and more contact the School Liaison Office