The Range Operations Branch controls over 44,000 acres of training lands and nearly 14,000 acres of impact area. This includes 20 Live Fire Ranges, two Tactical Training Bases, two Urban Operations Sites, two Leadership Reaction Courses, a CBRN training facility, three Land Navigation Courses, the Aviation Gunnery Range Complex, and various bivouac and FTX sites. The Aviation Gunnery Range Complex has 31 hover fire pads and 3 close combat attack run and dive firing lanes.
Points of Contact
|Range Operations Firing Desk||(334) 255-4303 or (334) 255-4486|
|Range Ops Cell/Safety/Scheduling||(334) 255-4793 or (334) 255-4978|
Training Site Scheduling and Availability
Fort Novosel training site scheduling and availability may be accessed at the Range Facility Management Support System.
RFMSS interface provides units visiting Fort Novosel and those located on the installation with a non-graphical remote scheduling tool and are used to determine facility availability, submit/view scheduling requests and read published Range Bulletins. Units without a RFMSS account can acquire a login by contacting the Fort Novosel Range Operations Office at (334) 255-4978.
Most range and training areas must be scheduled no later than 30 days out. You are REQUIRED to attend squaring meeting (at Range Operations) no later than 10 days prior to scheduled event. All squaring meetings are held on Wednesdays at 10:00 a.m. Failure to attend may result in cancellation of your event. Phone (334) 255-4987.
Required Training Documents
The following documents are REQUIRED to lock in your training:
- A risk assessment (DD Form 2977 Deliberate Risk Assessment Worksheet) is required for ranges and training areas.
- Certify in writing individuals who will perform the duties of OIC, range safety officer (RSO), and laser range safety officer (LRSO). Use the Range OIC/RSO Roster memo as an example.
Firing Desk, Ranges and Training Areas
- AR 350-19 The Army Sustainable Range Program
- AR 385-63 Range Safety
- DA Pam 385-63 Range Safety
- AR 385-10 The Army Safety Program
- AR 5-13 Total Army Munitions Requirements and Prioritization Policy