For Casualty Assistance, please call (334) 255-9081 or (334) 255-9005

Fort Novosel serves as a casualty area command for all counties of Alabama, except for the counties served by Fort Moore, namely Autaga, Bullock, Chambers, Chilton, Coosa, Elmore, Lee, Macon, Montgomery, Russell and Talapoosa. Fort Novosel also serves the Florida panhandle counties of Bay, Calhoun, Escambia, Gulf, Holmes, Jackson, Okaloosa, Santa Rosa, Walton and Washington.

Casualty Assistance services include:

  • Coordinating military funeral honors for active duty, retiree, and veterans funerals;
  • Providing survivor assistance to retiree surviving spouses;
  • Providing assistance to surviving spouses and family members of active duty deaths;
  • Providing notification and assistance to survivors of active duty personnel in our area of responsibility;
  • Processing line of duty investigations.

For more information, please call (334) 255-9081 or (334) 255-9005.

Funeral Honors

Hours of operation for Memorial Affairs are 7:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. The Fort Novosel Casualty Office is closed weekends and federal holidays. Requests must be received two business days prior to the desired service date to complete the request.

All request for honors received after 12 p.m. will be processed the next business day.

If you have not received confirmation of your request by 3 p.m., please contact the Casualty Office at (334) 255-9081 or (334) 255-9311.

The Casualty Assistance Center no longer has a dedicated fax machine for receiving requests via fax. Effective immediately, all request for military honors must be returned via email, along with a copy of the supporting discharge document. The email mailbox is not monitored nights, weekends or federal holidays.

Funeral Homes can contact the Casualty Assistance Center at (334) 255-9081, (334) 255-9311 or (800) 661-1407. If there is no answer at the phone numbers listed, please contact the Installation Operations Center at (334) 255-9777 or (334) 255-3038.

Points of Contact

Casualty Notification Lines (334) 255-9081 or (334) 255-9311 or (334) 255-9005
Operations Coordinator (334) 255-9311
Training Instructor (334) 255-0788
Mortuary Affairs Coordinator (334) 255-1811
Memorial Affairs Coordinator (334) 255-9081
Benefits Coordinator (334) 255-9005
Military Funeral Honors Request (334) 255-9081/9311/9005; Call during normal duty hours
Frequently Asked Questions

Military honors will be rendered to all deceased active duty, retired and veterans of the U.S. Army, National Guard and Reserve servicemembers that were discharged honorably.

No. Only servicemembers are eligible to receive honors.

Retirees receive full military honors to include: pallbearers, firing team, Taps, presentation of the flag and a chaplain on request.

Veterans receive the folding and presenting of the flag and playing of Taps.

The Casualty Office must receive requests two business days prior to the service date.

The family of the deceased servicemember must inform the funeral home. The funeral director will coordinate with the Casualty Assistance Center. Note: A DD214 - Member 4 or DA Form 256A is REQUIRED if not currently on active duty. If a family member is not working with a funeral home, please contact (334) 255-9081.

No. Military honors are rendered free of charge.

Anyone who has served in the military and been honorably discharged.

No, the military only pays for the funerals of Active Duty Soldiers.

Survivors of active duty and retired servicemembers may be eligible for benefits. You may call the Casualty Assistance Center or Retirement Services Office to inquire.