Ms. Samantha Herring
Garrison Victim Advocate
SHARP is located at 2246-A Pepper Road, Fort Meade MD 20755
The Army's Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention (SHARP) program exists so the Army can prevent sexual harassment and sexual assaults before they occur. Our goal is to eliminate sexual assaults and sexual harassment by creating a climate that respects the dignity of every member of the Fort Meade Community.
NOTICE: If you have an emergency, please call 911
All branch services on Fort Meade can call the SHARP 24-hour emergency helpline 443-845-0876. You will reach the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator (SARC) or Victim Advocate.
Navy: 301-419-1936 Air Force: 240-752-2773 Marine Corps: 443-845-0876 Veterans Crisis Line: 800-273-8255(#1)
Military One Source: 800-342-9647
DoD Safe Helpline: 877-995-5247
The Department of Defense Sexual Assault Help Line. Provides anonymous help online, by phone or by text.
All Safe Helpline Services are: anonymous, confidential, and tailored to support members of the Department of Defense community and their loved ones affected by sexual assault. https://chat-ohl4.safehelpline.org/tos/SHL
National Sexual Assault Hotline (800)-656-HOPE
RAINN created and operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline (800-656-HOPE) in partnership with over 1,100 local rape crisis centers nationwide.
Together, the hotlines have helped more than 1.6 million people since 1994.
Web Resource LINKS:
Army Policy on Sexual Harassment (Army Regulation 600-20, Chapter 7)
For Commanders: https://www.sapr.mil/command-toolkit
I was sexually harassed: https://www.armyresilience.army.mil/sharp/pages/harassed.html
I was sexually assaulted: https://www.armyresilience.army.mil/sharp/pages/assaulted.html
Information for men: https://www.armyresilience.army.mil/sharp/pages/Info-For-Men.html
RAINN also runs the NATIONAL SEXUAL ASSAULT ONLINE HOTLINE http://online.rainn.org/
National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) https://nsvrc.org
Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network (RAINN) https://www.rainn.org 1-800-656-4673
Suicide Prevention Hotline: 988
DoD Sexual Assault Prevention and Response (SAPR) https://www.sapr.mil
Sexual Assault and Sexual Harassment are incompatible with the Army Values and the Warrior Ethos we strive to:
- Reduce the stigma of reporting
- Protect the victim
- Increase prevention, investigation, prosecution and victim care capabilities
- Increase training and resources
- Refine and sustain response capability
Sexual harassment and sexual assault will not be tolerated. One assault is one too many. It is everyone’s responsibility to foster a climate of trust that respects and protects our Soldiers, civilians, and family members.
First, what classifies sexual harassment?
Sexual harassment is a form of gender discrimination that involves unwelcome sexual advances, sexual innuendo, request for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.
Sexual Harassment means any of the following:
1. Conduct that—
- A. involves unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and deliberate or repeated offensive comments or gestures of a sexual nature when—
- submission to such conduct is made either explicitly or implicitly a term or condition of a person’s job, pay or career;
- submission to or rejection of such conduct by a person is used as a basis for career or employment decisions affecting that person; or
- such conduct has the purpose or effect of unreasonably interfering with an individual’s work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive working environment; and
- B. is so severe or pervasive that a reasonable person would perceive, and the victim does perceive, the environment as hostile or offensive.
2. Any use or condonation, by any person in a supervisory or command position, of any form of sexual behavior to control, influence or affect the career, pay or job of a member of the armed forces or a civilian employee of the Department of Defense.
3. Any deliberate or repeated unwelcome verbal comment or gesture of a sexual nature by any member of the armed forces or Civilian employee of the Department of Defense.
Two types of sexual harassment:
Quid pro quo
Refers to conditions placed on a person’s career or terms of employment in return for sexual favors.
Sexual harassment occurs when a person is subjected to offensive, crude, unwanted, and unsolicited comments and behavior of a sexual nature that interferes with that person’s performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive working environment.
What Can I do?
IN THE EVENT OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT:
In order to stop sexual harassment, the aggrieved is encouraged to make an informal sexual harassment complaint. Report the inappropriate behavior to your chain of command through your SHARP representative. If you are a civilian, report the behavior immediately to your supervisor, or to the Equal Employment Opportunity office.
If the behavior persists, file a formal sexual harassment complaint through your brigade SHARP representative. If you are a civilian, report the incident to your Equal Employment Opportunity office.
Sexual Harassment Reporting Options: Anonymous, Informal, Formal
IN THE EVENT OF SEXUAL ASSAULT:
- Get to a safe place. If you are in need of urgent medical attention, call 911.
- Contact your local SHARP representative, or call the Fort Meade Sexual Assault Hotline at 443-845-0876.
- To protect evidence, do not shower, brush your teeth, put on makeup, eat, or drink, or change clothes until advised to do so. You, or your SHARP representative may report the crime to Army or local law enforcement.
Victims of sexual assault are encouraged to contact a SARC or Victim Advocate, for confidential assistance.
RESTRICTED SEXUAL ASSAULT REPORT:
We value your privacy. Restricted reporting offers Soldiers and Family members (except underage children) the option to report a sexual assault without having to notify law enforcement and protecting the identity of the victim. This reporting option is for military personnel only.
This option is only available if you report the incident to your victim advocate, medical care facility, or sexual assault response coordinator (SARC).
UNRESTRICTED SEXUAL ASSAULT REPORT:
Unrestricted Reporting is the military’s preferred reporting method because it provides the widest latitude to help and protect victims of sexual assault. Through the unrestricted option, details of the incident are kept confidential and are only disclosed on a need to know basis. An unrestricted report triggers an investigation so that offenders may be held accountable and the safety of the victim is ensured. This option is for civilian and military personnel.
Entitlements (independent of the reporting option)
- Medical care
- Pastoral care upon request
- Sexual assault forensic examination
UNRESTRICTED REPORTING VICTIMS ARE ALSO ENTITLED TO:
- · Military protection order
- · Legal advice
- · Request transfer from their unit
- · Law enforcement investigation into the incident
We are aggressively implementing and expanding the Army's comprehensive Sexual Harassment/Assault Response and Prevention Program. SHARP is a commander's program. We are committed to ensuring engaged leadership at all levels to prevent sexual assault and sexual harassment.
Policy Documents https://www.sapr.mil/policy
Latest Policy Updates https://www.sapr.mil/latest-policy-updates
SAPR Policy Toolkit for SARC/VA https://www.sapr.mil/sarc-toolkit
SAPR Toolkit for Command Teams https://www.sapr.mil/command-toolkit
Air Force https://www.af.mil/SAPR.aspx
U.S Coast Guard https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-Human-Resources-CG-1/Health-Safety-and-Work-Life-CG-11/Office-of-Work-Life-CG-111/Sexual-Assault-Prevention-and-Response-Program/
National Guard https://www.nationalguard.mil/Leadership/Joint-Staff/J-1/SAPR/
Men’s Campaign https://www.sapr.mil/mens-sapr-campaign
Tool Box https://www.sapr.mil/sites/default/files/SAPRO_VA_Initial_Skills_Assessment_Tool_Survey_Form_May_2020_FINAL.pdf
New Forms https://www.sapr.mil/policy
Forms https://www.sapr.mil/policy - tabs-0-09111600-1644418876-2
Memorandums & Guidance https://www.sapr.mil/policy - tabs-0-09111600-1644418876-3 https://www.sapr.mil/sites/default/files/img_sapro_crest.jpg