The Army Retirement Services Office develops Army policy and oversees Army programs worldwide that prepare Soldiers and their Families for retirement, assist survivors of Soldiers who die on active duty, and serve Retired Soldiers, surviving spouses, and their Families until death in order to comply with federal laws, encourage Retired Soldiers to be Soldiers For Life, and improve recruiting and retention. Army Retirement Services develops Army policy and procedures for the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP) program; publishes Echoes, the newsletter for Retired Soldiers and surviving spouses and their families; develops policy for the operation of the Army Retirement Services Program; and administers the Army Chief of Staff's (CSA) Retiree Council.
Pre-Retirement Briefings will be held each month except December in Classroom 4 of the Retirement Services Office. Spouses are encouraged to attend. Reservations for the briefing are required.
The 2020 dates for the briefing are:
- January 9
- February 13
- March 12
- April 9
- May 14
- June 11
- July 9
- August 13
- September 10
- October 8
- November 12
Call (301) 677-9434/9600 to make a reservation
- Counsels Soldiers and family members concerning retirement rights, benefits, and privileges.
- Conducts one-on-one SBP counseling for all retiring Soldiers, and their family members.
- Conducts one-on-one (desk-side) Pre-Retirement briefings as needed.
- Assists retiring Soldiers and family members with completion of the DD Form 2656 (Data for Payment of Retired Personnel).
- Processes the DD Form 2656 electronically using TRANSPROC to the Department of Defense Finance and Accounting Services, Cleveland (DFAS-CL).
- Other services and related information (if assigned those duties) related to pre-retirement services, such as, retirement application processing, retirement orders and DD Form 214 processing, and final out-processing procedures.
Post Retirement Services
- Counsels and assists survivors of retired Soldiers, and Soldiers who die on active duty regarding their SBP options and entitlements, and the proper processing of their SBP elections.
- Publishes mails retiree newsletters at least annually.
- Publishes periodic articles for installation and local newspapers.
- Conducts an annual Retiree Appreciation Day (RAD).
- Provides information and filing assistance for the "Annuities for Certain Military Surviving Spouses" -or ACMSS, also known as "Forgotten Widows".
- Provides information and assistance to Soldiers, spouses, and former spouses regarding the Uniformed Services Former Spouse's Protection Act (USFSPA).
- Assists retired Soldiers and family members in obtaining: copies of lost documents (i.e., DD Form 214, retirement orders, and medical records); re-issuance of military awards; and issuance of military ID Cards.
- Assists with retired pay issues.
FORT GEORGE G. MEADE
RETIREE APPRECIATION DAY
McGILL TRAINING CENTER
October 23, 2020