The Joint Base Lewis-McChord Tax Center provides free tax services to service members, their families and retirees. The center is open from Jan. 25 to May 17, 2021. To make an appointment, call 253-967-9904/9941. The JBLM Tax Center is located across from Gray Airfield on Pierce Avenue in Building 6230.
- Valid military ID and social security cards for themselves, spouses and dependents;
- Birth dates for themselves, spouses and dependents;
- Wage and earnings statements (also known as W-2s);
- Interest and dividend statements;
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns;
- Direct deposit information;
- Total amount paid for day care and the day care provider’s identification number;
- Any other statements related to income, earnings and deductible expenses.
Who can use the JBLM Tax Center:
- Active Duty members of the Armed Forces of the U.S. and dependents;
- Reserve members of the Armed Forces of the U.S. who are serving on Active Duty orders for more than 30 days and their dependents;
- Military retirees and dependents.
JBLM Tax Center Filing Restrictions
- Rental Properties: The JBLM Tax Center can prepare returns with up to one rental property. Rental requirements include: rents received; expenses (advertising, auto and travel, cleaning and maintenance, commissions, insurance on the rental property, legal and other professional fees, management fees, mortgage interest paid on rental, real estate tax on rental, repairs, supplies, taxes, and utilities); the cost or basis (original purchase price of home); and current appraised land value the rental is on. The taxpayer will fill out any and all information on the rental intake sheet. The tax preparer will not totalize receipts.
- Stock and Bond Exchanges: (Form 1099-B) The JBLM Tax Center can do up to 10 stock and bond exchanges. The Tax Center cannot prepare returns with money market accounts that have withdrawals. Money market accounts that are only accruing interest can be done.
- Schedule K-1: The JBLM Tax Center can only prepare returns with Schedule K-1’s for interest dividends and capital gains.
- Foreign Income/Foreign Tax: The JBLM Tax Center cannot prepare returns with foreign income. However, the Tax Center will prepare returns with up to $300 in foreign tax paid, and up to $600 if married filing jointly.
- Cancellation of Debt: The JBLM Tax Center cannot prepare returns for cancellation of noncredit card debt. The Tax Center will prepare returns with cancellation of credit card debt up to $10,000.
- Businesses/Schedule C: The JBLM Tax Center can prepare returns for family child care providers. The taxpayer must provide total received for services. The Tax Center cannot prepare returns for other private business activities per Army Regulation 27-3.
- Ride Sharing Revenue: The JBLM Tax Center cannot prepare any returns for those who worked for Uber, Lyft, or other ride sharing companies.
- U.S. Territories: The JBLM Tax Center cannot prepare returns for the U.S. Territories.
- IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Scope: Under IRS regulations the JBLM Tax Center cannot prepare any tax returns that include: Complicated Schedule D, Form SS-5, Form 8615, Form SS-8, Parts 4 & 5 of Form 8962, or any other forms that fall outside of the scope of the IRS VITA Program or the JBLM Tax Center’s VITA capabilities and certifications.