In June 1951, the United States and Italy concluded negotiations to establish a line of communication and supply through Italy, in support of U.S. troops stationed in Austria. The military complex was formally dedicated to become a permanent U.S. Army facility on November 15, 1952 and named in memory of Brigadier General William O. Darby, Assistant Division Commander of the 10th Mountain Division, who was killed in action on April 30, 1945 near Trento, Italy. Since its establishment, Camp Darby has served successively as the 7656th Logistical Command, the 7617th U.S. Forces Austria Support Command, USA Logistical Command, 8th Support Group, Area Support Team – Livorno.
Camp Darby is a small, remote installation located in the Tuscan region of central Italy situated between the cities of Livorno and Pisa. It is a 10-minute drive from Pisa, home of the famous Leaning Tower. Camp Darby is 60 miles (a one hour train or car ride) from the city of Florence, home to the world-famous Uffizi Gallery and Michelangelo's masterpiece, the statue of David.
Camp Darby's primary mission is to logistically support combat deployments that include war reserve storage and maintenance, maintenance of weapons and vehicles and their movement for rapid reaction and crises response operations spanning the globe.