The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) is an integral part of the Army personnel life cycle. The TAP provides comprehensive transition services to separating and retiring Soldiers, their Family members, and Department of the Army (DA) Civilians. The SFL-TAP counselors deliver the congressionally-mandated pre-separation counseling, job search training, assist in the use of automated-employment tools, conduct one-on-one employment counseling, and facilitate employment workshops/seminars.


Go Early, Go Often!

Soldiers should start TAP no later than 18 months prior to separation date.

1. Register in person or via phone to begin your transition classes

2. Complete Individualized Initial Counseling

3. All transition events must be completed at least 3 months prior to separation

Soldiers must start with TAP immediately if they are going through a

Chapter, Involuntary Separation, or Medical Evaluation Board.

Military members who are retiring are able to begin their transition services 24 months before leaving the Army.


1.  Is TAP mandatory?

TAP is mandatory for all Soldiers who will complete at least 180 days of continuous active duty. These Soldiers must participate and meet all transition Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) and Career Readiness Standards (CRS) requirements.

2.  I want to use TAP, but my unit won't let me off. What can I do?

TAP policy allows you up to one year, if you're not retiring, or two years, if you are retiring, before leaving active duty to use TAP services. Congress directed this to ensure that you would have enough time to take full advantage of all TAP offers. Your unit must allow you to receive TAP services. Keep in mind that your unit's mission is the first priority and you should coordinate your appointments with unit leadership. Begin early so as to allow yourself time to schedule activities and use TAP services around mission demands. Talk with your chain of command to see how you can fit TAP into your duty time. Call your TAP Center to find out how you can creatively schedule your activities.

3.  When should I start the TAP process and for how long can I receive assistance?

Retiring Soldiers can start using TAP services up to two years before their retirement and non-retiring Soldiers can start one year before their separation date. AC Soldiers preparing for deployment whose separation date will occur during or within 90 days following, deployment and mobilized RC Soldiers on active duty for 180 day or more can receive services. Starting early will ensure that duty demands don't prevent you from getting the services you want and need. Keep in mind that non-retiring veterans and non-Army retirees can use TAP for up to 180 days after separation. Army retirees can use TAP on a space available basis for the rest of their lives.

4.  I recently separated from the Army and have relocated in an area where there are no TAP Centers. Where can I get additional transition and job assistance?

If there are no TAP Centers in your area, you can use the 24/7 TAP Virtual Center to continue receiving job assistance from a TAP counselor. You also have the option of using the services provided by one of the other military services if available in your area. To locate a Transition Assistance Office in your area, go to the TAP Centers Page. As a veteran, you should also plan to visit a Department of Labor (DOL) One-Stop Career Center in your local area.

5.  How do I contact the Army Wounded Warrior (AW2) Program?

You can contact the Army Wounded Warrior (AW2) Program by phone at 1-877-393-9058 or by email at The AW2 website is .