DRIVING IN ITALY
To drive in Italy, newcomers must take driver’s orientation, pass the test for a SETAF license, secure insurance, register their vehicle and pass an inspection.
The vehicle registration office and vehicle inspection point are located off the main post, in the Torri di Quartesolo complex. The offices may be closed on American and Italian holidays.
REGISTERING YOUR VEHICLE
In accordance with NAVSUPPACT Naples Instruction 11240.19G, to register your vehicle, you must have:
1. Original Title and/or Registration Documents
2. Proof of insurance as required by Italian Law
3. AFI Driver License (SETAF license)
4. Proof of Eligibility (PCS Orders or Logistical Support Letter)
5. Military/Civilian ID Card
6. $65 (Administrative Fee)
7. €5 (Euros) (Initial Registration Fee)
8. Additional money in Euros for road tax if you are registering a second vehicle. Cost is dependent upon engine size.
9. Other documents are required based on whether you purchased the vehicle in Italy from an Italian individual/business or from a person stationed at USAG Vicenza, or had it shipped from the United States or brought it from another location in Europe. Call vehicle registration for particulars.
10. Power of Attorney from Sponsor, if not accompanied by Sponsor.
You may need to download the latest version of Adobe Acrobat to open
DOES EVERYONE GET THE SAME INSPECTION?
Yes. Although inspectors may enforce rules more closely than they have in the past, the inspector’s job is to be sure your vehicle is safe on the road. The checks and shaking done to your vehicle are to ensure that parts are tight and they will not fail on the road. Glass must be in one piece since cracked glass is more likely to break and hurt or kill you or someone else.
When the machines identify that a part that is not working properly, the inspection point is not able to remove parts or diagnose further than the response received from the machine. The inspection point personnel will photograph the part and provide the printout for you to take to the maintenance activity.