Installation Management Command (IMCOM) is the Army proponent responsible for managing and executing the Army Traffic Safety Training Program (ATSTP). Recent changes in Department of Defense (DoD) and Army policies have resulted in changes in the types of training courses we offer, the way we manage training courses, and who is eligible to attend the courses. This document is intended to highlight some of the more substantive changes in the program and provide you, our customers, with insight into the ATSTP.

IMCOM-Europe is committed to providing DoD and Department of the Army-directed training in a safe, efficient, cost-effective manner within statutory and regulatory guidance, while meeting or exceeding our customers’ expectation.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are the regulatory bases of the ATSTP?

The DOD Instruction (DoDI) 6055.04, DOD Traffic Safety Program, provides the framework for the DOD traffic safety program and mandates specific traffic safety training for DOD personnel. Army Regulation (AR) 385-10, The Army Safety Program, and AR 190-5, Motor Vehicle Traffic Supervision, implement the DOD policy and add Army specific requirements.

What motorcycle safety training courses are offered in the ATSTP?

Motorcycle Safety Foundation’s (MSF) Basic Riders Course (BRC) - A two-day classroom and hands-on training course designed to teach riders proper personal protective gear selection; use and familiarity with controls; riding maneuvers such clutch, throttle control, straightline riding, stopping, turning and shifting, and emergency maneuvers. This is the Army’s standard motorcycle rider’s course. All Soldiers are required to complete this course; unless, they have previously completed the Experienced Rider Course. This is a one-time training requirement.

MSF Experienced Riders Course (ERC) - This one-day course builds upon and provides additional skills taught in the BRC or gained through previous experienced. It includes a fast-paced classroom segment with several interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness. Range exercises enhance both basic skills and crash avoidance skills. Improving braking and cornering finesse is emphasized. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle.

MSF Military Sport Bike Riders Course (MSRC) - A one-day course it is nearly identical to the Experienced Rider Course but places additional emphasis on the handling characteristics of sport bikes.

Motorcycle Refresher Training Course (MRT) - A two-hour course designed to support Soldiers returning from deployment greater that 180 days with a focus of reacclimatizing riders to the principles of safe riding, and hone skills that may have eroded.

Who is eligible to attend the motorcycle safety courses offered in ATSTP?

U.S. Army Reserve, U.S. Army National Guard, and active duty Soldiers. Additionally, Army civilian employees required to operate Government owned or furnished motorcycles in the performance of their official duties are eligible to attend the ATSTP motorcycle courses at Government expense. Army civilians, Family members and contractors may not attend an Army- funded ATSTP motorcycle safety course. NOTE: In order to take a motorcycle safety class in Europe you must have a valid motorcycle license or endorsement issued by civil authorities of a country or by a U.S. State or territory of the United States.

How do Soldiers register for a motorcycle safety classes?

Soldiers register for motorcycle safety courses using the Army IMCOM Registration System (AIRS). AIRS is used by IMCOM-Europe to schedule classes, register students, and for maintaining student records. The website address is:

How do civilians sign up for a motorcycle safety classes?

Civilians (DA Civilians, Family members, DoDDS, AAFES, contractors, etc.) may sign up for a course hosted by volunteer rider coaches by contacting HQ IMCOM-Europe safety staff at 370-8003/9120

Are motorcycles provided for motorcycle training classes?

Motorcycles are only available to Soldiers attending the Basic Rider Course (BRC). The contractor may be requested to provide motorcycles and AR 385-10-compliant helmets and full-fingered gloves for Soldiers attending the BRC who do not have their own equipment. When registering for the BRC course, Soldiers must be sure to identify the need for the contractor to provide motorcycles for their use the day of the class. It is the Soldiers choice rather they want to use their bike and equipment or Army provided bikes and equipment. The training motorcycles provided by the contractor will be compliant with Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) standards. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain a serviceable motorcycle and the appropriate personal protective equipment for all other classes.

Are individuals attending training charged leave?

Individuals attending training required by DODI 6055.04, DOD Traffic Safety Program, will not be charged leave. NOTE: DOD I 6055.4 does not require DA civilians, Family members or contractors to complete MSF Training. DA civilians and contractor should be on annual leave when taking a motorcycle safety course during a duty day.

What is the maximum number of students in a motorcycle safety course?

The minimum number in all the motorcycle classes is 6, and the maximum is 12. The student to teacher ratio is 6:1; for 7 to 12 students 2 instructors are required for the range portion of the training. NOTE: for the Military Sport Bike Rider Course two instructors are always required.

What happens if you fail a motorcycle safety course?

You will not receive a certificate of completion until you successfully pass an Army sponsored motorcycle safety course. The instructor may recommend you take the Basic Rider course, which can also be used to fulfilling licensing and registration requirements. Keep in mind, AER 190-1, Driver and Vehicle Requirements and the Installation Traffic Code for the U.S. Forces in Germany, requires you to maintain a current MSF Completion Card to operate a motorcycle. The same applies to Benelux and Italy.

May I rent or borrow a motorcycle for the purpose of attending a motorcycle safety course?

Soldiers attending the Basic Rider Course (BRC) may request a motorcycle be provided by the contractor for the class. Currently, the contractor only has six motorcycles available to support the BRCs and they are issued on a first come, first serve basis. Ensure when you register, please identify the need for a motorcycle to be provided. For the ERC, MSRC, and MRT we encourage you to use your own vehicle, but the decision is yours. If you rent or borrow a vehicle, we recommend you select one similar in make, model, and engine size your own or plan on buying. Also, take time to become to ensure it is in sound operational condition by performing a T-CLOCS inspection. A copy of the T-CLOCS inspection checklist can be found on our website.

May I attend a motorcycle safety class at another garrison?

You may attend a motorcycle safety class offered at any garrison within Europe. The associated expense (i.e. fuel. lodging, etc.) is your responsibility and is non-reimbursable. When considering training at another installation, always keep personal safety in mind and if necessary secure lodging near the training site and arrive the day before the training.

How do I withdraw from a motorcycle safety course that I am scheduled to attend?

Simply return to AIRS ( and cancel your registration using the “Student” drop down menu. You will receive confirmation of your cancellation. Not comfortable with using AIRS? Contact the IMCOM-EUROPE Safety (ATSTP) at 370-8003/9120 and let us know the course date and location and provide a brief explanation why you can make the course.

How often do I need to complete a MSF course to retain my US Forces Certificates of License for Germany?

Currently in Europe, you must complete an Army-sponsored MSF course every three years. You may take the ERC, BRC or the MSRC to fulfill the licensing requirement.

What are licensing requirements for operating a motorcycle in Italy?

USASETAF Reg 190-2 outline the licensing requirement for Italy and are summarized here: You must possess a valid state or country motorcycle license or endorsement and successfully complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course. For more information and guidance contact your local driver’s testing station (DTS).

What are the licensing requirement for Benelux and Schinnen?

You must possess a valid state or country motorcycle license or endorsement and successfully complete a Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course. For more information and guidance contact your local driver’s testing station (DTS).

The above FAQs are based on recent questions and are not intended to cover all situations. For more definitive answers or guidance please call us at DSN 370-8003/9120, COM 06221-57-8003/9120 .