The Transition Assistance Program (TAP) provides transition assistance, employment life skills training and public/private sector employer connection to all separating Soldiers, retirees, DoD Civilian employees in a reduction-in-force/retiring status, and their Families. TAP is the commander’s program, the Soldier’s responsibility and results in the greatest success when clients come early and come often. TAP is federally mandated by Public Law 112-56 and the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act.
TAP is Mandatory for all separating Soldiers regardless of rank:
- Must complete PRESEP on the Army Transition Assistance Program Website and Initial Counseling NLT 366 Days pre-separation.
- Retirees-eligible may, but those with Mandatory Retirement Date, must start 24 months prior to MRD.
- Chapters, REFRAD and Soldiers in IDES Process must start when action is initiated by the Command.
- Soldiers with less than 12 months upon redeployment must start before deployment.
- Army retirees and their Family members may use services for life.
- Soldiers may use services up to 180 days after separation.
- TAP counselors are available at the SFAC for WTB Soldiers: call (254) 553-0972.