The 61st Quartermaster Battalion provides mission command, administrative, technical and operational supervision over assigned or attached petroleum pipeline and terminal operating companies, petroleum support companies and transportation medium truck companies (petroleum).
The 61st Quartermaster Battalion was constituted on 16 December 1940 in the Regular Army and predesignated as the 61st Quartermaster Laundry Battalion on 1 April 1942. The 61st Quartermaster Battalion was activated on 15 April 1942 in Niantic, Connecticut. The Battalion Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment was inactivated on 30 November1946 in Germany. The following year, the 61st was activated for four months in Japan on 5 March 1947 to 15 June 1947. The 61st Quartermaster Battalion reactivated on 17 January 1949 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. The Battalion was then reorganize, predesignate, and activate on 25 September 1961 as the 14th Quartermaster Battalion. The 61st Quartermaster Battalion was then inactivated on 13 October 1972 in Germany. In 2012, the Army’s petroleum distribution battalions had moved exclusively to the Army Reserves. October 16 2015 marked the next chapter in the history of the 61st Quartermaster Battalion. On 16 October 2015 the 61st Quartermaster Battalion became the first active duty bulk petroleum supply battalion in almost four years, returning an important expeditionary support capability to the active force.
THE 61st QUARTERMASTER BATTALION HAS SERVED ON THE FOLLOWING CAMPAIGNS:
WORLD WAR II: