Beginning Aug. 2, 2021, all vehicles entering U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii installations must be registered with the Directorate of Emergency Services. (Courtesy photo)

(This article was updated April 30, 2021, to update the registration deadline.  For the most up-to-date information about the vehicle registration program, visit our Visitor Information page.)

WHEELER ARMY AIRFIELD (Feb. 10, 2021) – The Directorate of Emergency Services has launched a new vehicle registration program, here.

Beginning Aug. 2, all vehicles entering U.S. Army Garrison Hawaii installations must be registered with the Directorate of Emergency Services.

All Soldiers will be able to register their vehicle(s) and their family members’ vehicle(s) with their unit S-1, or personnel section. Civilian employees assigned to a military unit may be able to register their vehicle(s) with their unit S-1 as well.

Civilian and contract employees and any other person who works, lives or has business on any Army installation on Oahu will need to register their vehicle and as applicable their family members' vehicle(s) in person at one the following locations:

  • Visitor Control Center at Leilehua Golf Course, open weekdays, 7:30 a.m.-3 p.m.
  • Fort Shafter military police station, registration available weekdays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
  • Garrison Safety Office, Bldg. 106, Room 126, 851 Wright Ave., Wheeler Army Airfield, available weekdays, 9 a.m.-4 p.m.

The Directorate of Emergency Services will hold registration drives in the coming months, which will be announced at a later date.

In order to register a vehicle, the sponsor will need to have their military ID and State driver's license, their Hawaii vehicle registration, their Hawaii safety check and proof of valid insurance. Soldiers who are still in-processing may provide proof of out-of-state registration if they haven’t registered their vehicle in Hawaii yet.

After registering a vehicle, individuals will be provided a DA Form 3626 (Vehicle Registration). The vehicle registration must be kept in the vehicle at all times while on USAG-HI installations and provided to Army Law Enforcement upon request. This includes traffic stops, vehicle inspections at gates, and random checkpoints. Individuals who have not properly registered their vehicle by May 1, 2021 may receive a DA 1408 (Armed Forces Traffic Ticket).

The installation is launching the new program in an effort to decrease the number of vehicles abandoned on installation property each year. Soldiers and civilian employees must show proof of disposition for all vehicles registered in their name in order to clear the installation.

Disposition includes the bill of lading when shipping a vehicle, proof of sale and Hawaii title transfer paperwork, proof of disposal through a State-approved scrap company, or a memo from the sponsor’s battalion commander (or equivalent) certifying proper vehicle disposal.

Anyone who abandons a vehicle on garrison property may be flagged and charged under the Uniform Code of Military Justice or federal law.

Who Must Register

  • Soldiers and Family Members: All Soldiers should see their unit S1 to register their vehicles and their dependent's vehicles. This includes National Guard members who work on USARHAW installations
  • Civilian Employees: DA Civilians and Garrison Employees (or any person that works or lives on a US Army Hawaii Installation) may register their vehicles at the Visitor Control Center, Fort Shafter Police Station, or Garrison HHD. Civilian employees in military organizations/directorates can also register their vehicles with the unit S1 or Human Resource Officer.
  • In-Processing: New Soldiers and families moving on post will register their vehicles as a part of in-processing.

Who Does Not Need To Register

  • Visitors: Visitors DO NOT need to separately register their vehicles; vehicle registration is completed during the visitor pass process at the Visitor Control Centers (VCCs) or Vehicle Processing Centers (VPCs).
  • Contractors: Contractors DO NOT need to register fleet vehicles if they already have a RAPIDGate Pass.
  • Vendors: Vendors entering U.S. Army Hawaii installations with a visitor pass DO NOT need to register their vehicle.
  • People Accessing Medical Facilities or Health Care: The vehicle registration requirement will not prevent an individual from seeking medical care to include routine medical appointments, COVID-19 testing, emergency room visits, vaccination events), however, you are subject to receiving a citation if you are unable to provide proof of registration if requested by Law Enforcement.
  • GOVs: Government-Owned Vehicles (GOVs) DO NOT need to be registered.
  • Army Recreation Centers: Patrons and employees of Pililaau Army Recreation Center (PARC), Fort DeRussy, and the Hale Koa Hotel do not need to register their vehicles unless they intend to access other US Army Hawaii installations.
  • Rental Cars: Rental cars with a valid rental contract do not need to be separately registered.