The mission of the Casualty Assistance Center is to provide compassionate, unwavering commitment to the Families of our fallen Soldiers, retirees and veterans. Casualty Assistance provides assistance to next-of-kin of critically injured, ill or deceased Army soldiers, retirees, and veterans to include Benefits Counseling; Military Funeral Honors; and Casualty Assistance / Notification Officer training (CAO/CNO).
FOR MILITARY SERVICE MEMBERS. To report a death or request Military Funeral Honors, please call: (804) 734-6606. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Casualty Notification/Assistance Officers (CNO/CAO) Training
Casualty notification/assistance officers must attend a three-day certification course prior to performing those services. The CAC's training instructor offers this course every month.
To register, email the casualty training officer or call (804) 734-6985.
Benefits and Entitlements
Surviving spouses of retired and active Soldiers may receive casualty assistance through three methods:
- Live assistance. The Casualty staff serves as a survivor's advocate who processes Active Duty benefit claims, coordinates services from support organizations, and answers questions related to entitlements.
- Guided assistance. The CAC can also arrange for a Casualty Assistance Officer (CAO) to visit the survivor at a location of choice on a case by case basis. The CAO will assist with completion of the forms and serve as a liaison between the survivor and the Casualty staff.
- Retiree death reporting and benefits. To report the death of an Army military retiree contact Defense Finance And Accounting (DFAS) at (800) 321-1080. To request assistance applying for Army retiree benefits contact the Fort Gregg-Adams Retirement Services Office at (804) 734-6973.
For benefits questions, contact the central casualty via email or phone at (804) 734-6606.
The CAC coordinates military funeral honors for eligible deceased veterans, retirees and active duty Soldiers in the Fort Gregg-Adams area of responsibility. To request a military honors funeral, complete the Funeral Honors Request Form and email or fax the request to (804) 734-6734.
Contact the memorial affairs coordinator via email or phone at (804) 734-6038.
The CAC staff ensures the proper care and disposition of a Soldier's remains and personal effects. The CAC also prepares orders for eligible survivors to travel at government expense to their Soldier's funeral and/or unit memorial.
Contact the mortuary affairs coordinator via email or phone at (804) 734-6606.
- Department of the Army Casualty and Mortuary Affairs Operations Division (CMAOD)
- Guide for Survivors of Deceased Retirees
- Casualty Assistance Center Locator
- Veterans Administration
- National Cemetery Administration
- Social Security Administration
- National Personnel Records Center
- Tragedy Program for Survivors "TAPS"
- ID Card Office Locator