Passport PhotoThe Fort Gregg-Adams Passport Office serves as the primary point of contact in the central Virginia area for current Department of Defense (DoD) employees and military dependents seeking to obtain a United States Official, Diplomatic, or no-fee passport and/or Official visa for DoD business.

All applications for processing of passports or visas will be conducted by appointment only.

  • Official and Diplomatic passports are no-fee passports. The Fort Gregg-Adams Passport Office does not process applications for tourist passports.
  • You may only use your no-fee passport when traveling overseas in discharge of your official duties.
  • For personal travel, you must use a regular-fee tourist passport.
  • You may have both a valid tourist passport and a valid no-fee passport at the same time.
  • Dependents authorized to accompany you on official travel must have their own no-fee passports.


Official Passport Application

DoD employees and service members who will travel on official business to a country which requires an Official, Diplomatic, or no-fee passports should apply for them at their local military installation. The Fort Gregg-Adams Passport Office processes applications for passports for official travel at no cost to the employee, service member, or their authorized dependents. Each passport application will be submitted in a packet which requires the following five items:


Effective February 1, 2008, all DoD applicants are required to fill out a passport application or renewal online through the Department of State Passport Wizard, answering all questions, even optional ones. All applications MUST include the 2D barcode which will appear on the left front page when printed.  Applications must be printed single-sided and submitted without signatures.

There are two types of U.S. passport applications:

DS-11: Application for a U.S. passport

This form will be issued if an individual is a first time applicant, is under the age of 16 at the time of the application, or if the applicant was under the age of 16 when the previous U.S. passport was issued. This form is also used if an applicant’s previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago or if the most recent U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged.

DS-82: U.S. passport renewal application

This form will be issued if an applicant is over the age of 16, has a passport issued less than 15 years ago, and uses the same name listed in the most recent U.S. passport.

DS-64: Statement regarding a lost or stolen passport

This form should be submitted with the DS-11 to apply for a new passport book when a valid passport is lost, stolen, altered, or mutilated.

Closing Tab


Head PhotoU.S. passport applications require two passport photos of the applicant taken within the last six months in the United States; the photos should reflect the applicant's current appearance.  Once a photo has been used for a passport application, it cannot be used again.

Each photo must be 2x2 inches in overall size and between 1 inch and 1-3/8 inches from the top of the head to the bottom of the chin. Photos should meet the following standards:

  • Must be taken against a white or off-white background
  • No military or law enforcement uniforms
  • No white shirts, blouses, or sweaters
  • No hats or headgear unless for religious or medical reasons
  • No dark or tinted glasses unless for medical reasons

This office can take the passport photos or you may provide your own.  Many drug stores and pharmacies take passport photos for a small fee which should be reimbursed as a travel expense..

Closing Tab


Each applicant must provide official proof of U.S. citizenship along with a clear copy of the same. All evidence must be originals; hospital records, copies, and copies certified by a notary public are not acceptable. All evidence will be returned to the applicant with the completed passport.

Examples of U.S. citizenship evidence:

  • State or City Issued Birth Certificate:
    The Birth Certificate must show the full name of the parent(s); be issued by the office of vital statistics of the state, county, or city where the birth occurred; indicate the date and place of birth; bear the embossed, impressed, multi-colored, or raised seal and signature of the issuing authority; and indicate a registration or file date within one year of birth.
  • Fully Valid U.S. Passport / Expired Passport Not issued More Than 15 Years Previously
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Consular Record of Birth Abroad
Closing Tab


Sample CAC PhotoEach applicant must provide copies of a photo ID. Copies should be slightly enlarged, in color, and include the front and back of each ID card on a single-sided page. All ID cards must be valid.

Applicants under the age of 16 must provide one form of ID from each parent.

Examples of acceptable forms of ID:

  • CAC card/dependent ID card
  • Driver’s license/State ID card
  • Retiree DoD ID card

Family members over the age of 13 must have a valid military dependent ID card in their possession when applying for a no-fee passport.

Closing Tab


Applicants must provide supporting documentation that DoD ordered them to travel overseas on official business. Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders will identify the directive for travel to a destination requiring a passport.

The Gregg-Adams Passport Office cannot accept dependent passport applications prior to approval of command sponsorship and issuance of an amendment listing all eligible family members.

Supporting documentation:


Orders must include the name, grade/rank, destination, dates of travel, and purpose of the travel.  They may be PCS, TDY, TCS, or MOB orders.

Alternative documentation in lieu of orders

If applicants have not received their orders yet, they can provide other documentation to justify their need for a no-fee passport with a Memorandum In Lieu of Orders (MILO); example available from passport agent.

Supporting documentation to request an expedited passport (under 30 days processing time)

Applicants who require their passport with less than 30 days processing time may submit a memorandum requesting an expedited passport; it must include a General Officer or SES signature over their signature block.  Please note that the successful application will include a copy of the traveler's flight itinerary.  If approved, the State Department is only required to expedite requests for Active Duty military and DoD Civilians, not authorized dependents.

Closing Tab

Once you have obtained all the required documents, photos, copies, and supporting documentation, you may request an appointment via email or call (804) 734-9234/7972/6867.

Visa Application

Certain countries require a visa for entry or temporary stay. A visa is a stamp or impression placed on a page of a valid passport by a foreign embassy or consulate which grants permission, as of the date issued, to the applicant to enter or remain in that country for a specific period of time. To check if you need a visa, please see the Foreign Clearance Guide.

Helpful Resources