October is National Disability Awareness Month. This observance provides Americans an opportunity to reaffirm their commitment to ensure there are equal opportunities for all citizens and to pay tribute to the accomplishments of men and women with disabilities who contributed, contribute, and wish to contribute to making the nation's economy strong. This year The Fort Belvoir Garrison EEO Office in conjunction with the Fort Meade Garrison EEO Office will be having a virtual observance on 29 October, 2020 from 1200-1245 hrs. on MS TEAMS. Click here to log on to MS TEAMS or Copy and Paste the entire link below.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM
The primary goal of the equal employment opportunity (EEO) program is to manage workforce diversity and to maintain a discrimination-free workplace. This is high on the list of critical functions performed by federal managers and supervisors. Equal Employment is the law of the land. It is the right of all people to be protected from discrimination in employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin and age, mental or physical disability, or sexual orientation.
The EEO Office ensures equal employment opportunity for civilians under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Maintaining a Discrimination-Free Workplace
Requires supervisors and managers to perform a variety of tasks and functions. Included among them are:
- Clearly communicating a belief in and adherence to the principles of equal opportunity for all employees.
- Taking prompt action to prevent or halt discrimination or harassment based on race, sex, age, national origin, disability or sexual preference.
- Making an overt effort to recruit a diverse workforce; that is, one which includes employees drawn from both sexes, as well as different racial, ethnic and age groups.
- Remaining aware of EEO responsibilities in the course of assigning and rating work, developing employees, and taking personnel action.
- Working closely with EEO and HR officials to resolve disputes promptly.
Managing diversity refers to an inter-related set of responsibilities and functions. Included among them are:
- Actively seeking to develop a diverse workforce; that is, one which includes a range of employees representing a variety of ethnic, racial, and age groups.
- Recognizing and valuing the differences that a diverse array of people bring to the accomplishment of organizational tasks.
- Promoting acceptance, cooperation, and positive attitudes towards all members of the work-group among employees.