Before arriving to Germany, U.S. personnel must have a valid stateside driver's license. The driving age is 18 and above in most European countries. People under age 18, even if they have a U.S. driver's license, are not allowed to drive in Germany without an exception to policy.

MAINTAINING U.S. DRIVER'S LICENSES WHILE OVERSEAS - While living abroad, U.S. personnel who are eligible to drive must have a valid U.S. driver's license. If the license expires during their tour, people should renew it before the expiration date. Each state has different rules and requirements on license renewal for U.S. citizens living abroad. People should check their state's official vehicle department, such as the Department of Motor Vehicles, for more information on the application process.

GETTING YOU USAREUR DRIVERS'S LICENSE - The USAREUR driver's license is only valid in Germany. To drive in Germany, people must have a valid U.S. driver's license prior to moving to the country.

STEP ONE : Complete USAREUR Driver's License training on Joint Knowledge Online (JKO).                                     People age 18 and over must first complete the training and pass the USAREUR driver's test on JOINT KNOWLEDGE ONLINE (Course IDs: USA-007 and USA-007B). Common Access Card (CAC) users can log into JKO. CAC users can sponsor dependents without CACs on the website. U.S. personnel must receive a score of 85% or higher. To access the USAREUR study guide and practice test, CLICK HERE.                                                                                                                     For applicants under age 18 who already possess a valid U.S. driver's license, their sponsor must EMAIL A REQUEST to get an exception to policy memorandum. The request should include the sponsor's name, rank, organization, APO mailing address and a copy of the front and back of the applicant's U.S. driver's license.

STEP2: Go to the Driver's Testing Station to apply in person.
After passing the online test, personnel should then go to the Driver's Testing Station in Ansbach on Katterbach Kaserne. It takes a minimum of 48 hours for the scores to be processed to the driver's testing station. Personnel will then fill out an application (190-1T), take an eye test and pay a fee for the USAREUR driver's license. The current fee is $20, and, until further notice, only checks or money orders are accepted for payment. Personnel will receive a temporary driver's license on-site. The hard-copy license will be sent to their APO mailing address within three to four weeks. USAREUR driver's licenses are valid for five years. If someone's tour extends beyond five years, they must renew the license and pay the fee.

TAKING THE USAREUR DRIVER'S LICENSE EXAM ONLINE BEFORE ARRIVAL: A USAREUR license is required to drive in Europe. All CAC card holders can now take the training and the test online.

  • Register your CAC in JKO at:
  • The course numbers are USA-007, USA-007B
  • Upon completion of the training you will receive a certificate
  • Upon completion of the actual test you will receive a second certificate
  • A minimum of two days is required for your scores to get into the DTTS System
  • In order to check your results, contact the DTTS office at DSN 483-7332 or commercial +49 (0)631-411-7332 and provide them with your DOD ID number from the back of your CAC
  • To receive your license, visit the DTTS office  with your ID card, U.S. license and a check or credit card
  • Note: An eye test is required, which will be done at DTTS

Study for the exam here: Driver's License Study Material

SHIPPING YOUR VEHICLE: Before shipping your Privately Owned Vehicle (POV), you should consider the following: Body damage: If your car has severe body damage it will not be allowed on the road. Tires: Tires must have a minimum of one millimeter (1 mm) depth over the entire tread and are required to be the sizes recommended by the manufacturer and do not stick out beyond the fender. Lastly, do not mix radial tires with bias ply tires. Miscellaneous: Check your lights, exhaust system, seatbelts (Germany has a mandatory seatbelt law), brakes, windshield and windows (for cracks). Recommendation: Removed "pull-out" radios, cassette decks, and CD players to reduce the chance of pilferage. Tinted windows: Tint is not authorized on the driver or passenger windows. Check with your local Transportation Management Office (TMO) for the latest restrictions and information before shipping. If you have a lien or car loan on your vehicle you must obtain written permission to ship your vehicle overseas from the lending organization.

INSURANCE: Some U.S. insurers will not create overseas insurance policies. Check with your current insurer before your Permanent Change of Station (PCS). Vehicle insurance companies are available both on and off base. Whatever you decide, you must show proof of insurance to pick up and register your vehicle on base.

MAINTENANCE ON US VEHICLES: Owning an American-made vehicle overseas could become expensive; often stateside warranties are not honored. Bottom line, be prepared for unexpected costs and consider this when deciding to ship your car overseas. The Kaiserslautern Military Community has car care facilities with contract mechanics and Do-it-Yourself space to work on your vehicle.

CAR SEATS: German law requires children under 12 years of age and under 4' 11" to be in a car/booster seat. Also, children must be over 12 years old to ride in the front seat. Be sure to bring the appropriate car seat/booster seat (if your child/children weigh(s) more than 48 lbs.) Army Community Service (ACS) does not provide loaner car or booster seats.

TMP LICENSE: A TMP License is mandatory to drive any government vehicle. To obtain a TMP license, go to ...... and bring your ID Card and valid driver's license with you. The following winter driving orientation is also required (after completing the briefing, fill out form, print and carry with TMP license).